Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Dishonest dealer....no way!

I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. About 6 months ago my rear wall started to bubble so I took my camper back to the dealer and showed him what was going on. He came back with a "Jayco denied your claim". I found out from Jayco that the dealer wanted twice the hours paid out that it would actually take to do the job. The dealer was trying to make extra money on my warranty claim. Jayco approved 12 hrs of labor and parts. The dealer himself told me it was a day to a day and a half job.
Now I'm in a situation where there is damage to my entry side wall from the dealers replacement of my awning (I didn't even ask for the repair). 10 of the 16 screws are stripped, no silicon around the screw holes and my fiberglass is starting to bubble. I notified the dealer 6 weeks ago about this issue with over 20 pictures. He hasn't submitted my pictures and won't return my phone calls. Jayco won't take the pics unless the dealer submits them.

This guy tried to get me to trade in my "damaged" camper for a $14,000 hit to his benefit. It sounds like Jayco is a better company than I originally thought, but my dealer is a shady individual.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

Do others here a favor and post the dealers name. That way everyone else will avoid them too.
Regarding your trailer. I found an independent dealer near me. Jayco requested that they submit a quote, approved it, and the independent dealer performed the repairs.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

I can't believe that Jayco said they'd only accept correspondence from the dealer. That's not the narrative I've heard from MANY other owners, and not what I personally experienced. I sent Jayco pictures of my issue and what I did to fix it, completely unsolicited, they asked for a copy of the invoice, and sent me a check for the full invoice amount with an apology for the trouble.

Maybe things are different under the Thor banner.

I also have a pretty good dealer though. For one warranty claim, I told them "no hurry, I'm not using the trailer right now", and they apologized for taking 3 weeks to do the work (which was done very well I might add). For another "warranty claim", the dealer just handed me the parts I needed, I told him it was a simple matter, and I would handle the labor. For yet another warranty claim, I wanted to replace the part with something better, and offered to pay the difference (which was significant), again I provided the labor. They handed me the new part, took the old part and said "have a nice day". I argued with the service manager and said that I should pay them, and he reiterated that I should have a nice day, he wasn't going to charge me anything.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

Just goes to show how different dealers can be. Some will do anything including lie, cheat or steal and others go the extra mile...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Wow, what a nightmare. Hope you get it resolved without too much stress, I would be boiling.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Just goes to show how different dealers can be. Some will do anything including lie, cheat or steal and others go the extra mile...
That right there is a true fact!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

First and foremost, Jayco will ABSOLUTELY take pictures straight from you. I sent pictures last year straight to Jayco when my tub was leaking.

Second, talk to Jayco directly about finding a better dealer or repair location. I found Jayco to be very receptive as a manufacturer and willing to do what it takes to fix their product and stand behind it. I would hope that new ownership doesn't change that support after purchase.

Please keep us updated with your responses from dealer and manufacturer. Good luck.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

I looked at some repair paper work from this winter. For some reason the dealer left off the replacement of the awning. I spoke with him a few minutes go and they don't have any record of replacing the awning and are denying any responsibility. I know for a fact they replaced it. Its a different color and my original had some leaf stains on it. I'm trying to keep a cool head and not put any dealer names out until this has been resolved, but if you live in the Asheville NC area, I would hold off for a couple of months if you're considering Jayco.

Why would a dealer put a new awning on a camper and have no record of it? What would they have to gain?

It's almost comical to talk to the guy when he starts telling me a story that completely contradicts what Jayco told me 30 min before. He seems like a very nice guy, buy after I catch someone in a lie I don't believe anything they say from that point forward.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Awnings have identification numbers just like anything else. I found this out when I had to get replacement motors for mine. Compare the numbers with what Jayco built the camper with, with what is on there now. That should solidify your case to Jayco that the dealer swapped awnings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I looked at some repair paper work from this winter. For some reason the dealer left off the replacement of the awning. I spoke with him a few minutes go and they don't have any record of replacing the awning and are denying any responsibility. I know for a fact they replaced it. Its a different color and my original had some leaf stains on it. I'm trying to keep a cool head and not put any dealer names out until this has been resolved, but if you live in the Asheville NC area, I would hold off for a couple of months if you're considering Jayco.

Why would a dealer put a new awning on a camper and have no record of it? What would they have to gain?

It's almost comical to talk to the guy when he starts telling me a story that completely contradicts what Jayco told me 30 min before. He seems like a very nice guy, buy after I catch someone in a lie I don't believe anything they say from that point forward.
27 years in law enforcement and the 2 things I hate most are liars and thieves. This dealer seems to be both...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

So I've seen on here several times where Jayco had denied delamination claims stating that the owner had failed to inspect the roof every 6 months. So first. How do they know? And second can you take it to the dealership every 6 months to get it inspected and cover that excuse? Because if a roof leaks 5 months after I've inspected and re-caulked the roof then how is that my fault? It'll still cause delamination.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
robertopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
Awnings have identification numbers just like anything else. I found this out when I had to get replacement motors for mine. Compare the numbers with what Jayco built the camper with, with what is on there now. That should solidify your case to Jayco that the dealer swapped awnings.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I'll go out and see if I can find that number today. Can you give me any idea where this number might be?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:58 AM   #13
Site Team

Mine has a label affixed to the under side of the awning fabric, very near the where the motor is located..
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine has a label affixed to the under side of the awning fabric, very near the where the motor is located..
Exactly. Unroll the awning and it should be to the far left of the roller tube.

'13 Suntracker PB 22
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #15

Please post the name of this dealer. Members drive through the area and want to make sure they avoid this dealer should they need work done.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #16

I threw a big hint as to who the dealer is. If you're in the Asheville/Hendersonville area, keep driving.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #17

Hmmmm, sounds like you might be a "Camping World" victim. If they told me it was raining, I'd go check!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #18

According to Jayco's website, there are two Jayco dealers in Hendersonville: Camping World (we know pretty much all of them are shady to some degree or another) and Miles RV center. The next closest one to Ashville is in Marion, NC: Tom Johnson Camping World.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #19

I hate Camping World !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #20

My sale through CW went fine, but getting some over the winter repairs last winter did not go well at all. My experience with their service department was out of this world.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22