Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Do I NEED a slider?

I will be eventually getting a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax, Crew Cab, to pull my Eagle Fifth Wheel (40 feet), with Mor ryde pin box.

It has a 6.5 foot box.

Do I NEED a slider?

Your expert opinions are appreciated.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Gibby, you are going to get many varied opinions here. I say no, you DO NOT need a slider but you DO need to constantly remember that you can not make a sharp turn while backing or even manuvering around a corner with a 6 1/2 foot box. I debated the issue of buying a slider when I got my 5er and can say that I have got real close to some serious trailer and TV damage while concentrating on backing into a tight campsite. One other thing here, I have not researched the Mor Ryde box so not sure how much it extends the pin, if any. Looking at the pictures, it doesn't extend enough to give you any level of safety as you would have in an 8 foot box.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

When I picked up my fw, the first thing I did was to crank it and backup to see if the nose would contact the back window. As I was doing so, what I almost missed was the fact that the pinbox was going to contact the box rail. At this point I had plenty of room between the nose of the fw and my rear window. A sliding hitch wouldn't help me. It might just cause the pinbox to hit the tailgate. Something to consider.
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #4

Since you are getting the short box it might be a good idea to go with the auto slider.. the difference in cost is probably cheaper than your deductible.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

Why doesn't Jayco offer the Revolution on the Eagle as they do on the Eagle Super Lite? It's a shame that the Revolution or Airborne Sidewinder would make a great option for the Eagle.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #6

No Slider Needed !! go with the Sidewinder Pinbox from Reese. Do a search for sidewinder they have a video. I have the 5th Airbourne w/ the sidewinder I love it !!
No Worry, No Slider to adjust. Just drive and forget.
I use the stock Reese 20K hitch
Just my $ .02
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Why doesn't Jayco offer the Revolution on the Eagle as they do on the Eagle Super Lite? It's a shame that the Revolution or Airborne Sidewinder would make a great option for the Eagle.
Good point. I have the Revolution, and will never tow with out this option on a SB truck. I use a standard (Signature Series )non slide hitch, and really like my set-up. Ford must like this hitch platform as well, because they offer it from the factory. By far the best set-up I have ever used, or saw by any Mfg. BTW I have owned B&W in the past and they are good, but don't compare to this Reese combo when a SB truck is being used as the TV.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #8

I'm not pulling for either one even though I have the Pulrite Superglide but take a look at the Pulrite Superglide before you decide. I choose the superglide because of a question about the duribility of the plastic bearing in the then named Sidewinder and at the time had heard of some problems with it because of the leverage on it. They may have fixed the problem by now I don't know.

I will say this I had a Reese slider and twice I came within 1/4 in of hitting my cab because I forgot to slide it. Some of the newer front caps on the campers are designed to be able to turn I think it is around 80deg but the one time you need 90deg and forget you don't have the capability it will offset the diff in cost.

JMHO
PullRite 18k Superglide
Bainbridge, Ga. Extreme Southwest Georgia
Retired: Dewayne 04-22-2010, Judy 01-2011
Mudflaps Camping Club Website https://mudflaps.freeforums.org
A local camping club for S Al, S Ga, N Fl campers
ldlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #9

I have pulled a fifth wheel both with and without an automatic slider hitch (Pullrite Superglide). Now that I know, I will never pull a fiver without a Superglide. Here's the pluses (and a few minuses) that I see to the Superglide:

Many times I would find myself in an unfamiliar area having to make a difficult turn - maybe at a gas station, in a tight campground, or in a city. Without the slider, I had to think about driving safety and about the trailer hitting the cab. But not with my slider - there is no maneuver I can make that will cause my trailer to hit my cab. And the slider does it automatically - I don't have to think about it. "Tight" situations, which I try to avoid, are much, much less stressful.

But, a Pullrite Superglide is much heavier than a standard hitch. It requires a lift or hoist to get it out, rather than being able to get it out just by lifting it out by hand. Also, the Pullrite requires periodic maintenance to lubricate the slide rails - but this is not a biggie at all. Easy to do.
Also, a Pullrite Superglide costs several times as much as a standard hitch.

Just my two cents.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

I got an 32 ft. 5fv. I got an supergluid and love it. The only problem I see, is you have to be allmost sraight to hook up. Yes it is a lot heavier than most other hitches. but you can back up and don't have to get out the truck to move the slider.
Randy
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
I got an 32 ft. 5fv. I got an supergluid and love it. The only problem I see, is you have to be allmost sraight to hook up.
Randy
Yep, rthipodaux, I forget to mention that issue. For others, the deal is that you have to be within 16 degrees of straight alignment to hook up or to unhook. Often, when we are in a pull through, I can not get the truck straight enough with the trailer to unhook in the usual way. What I do is to remove the two pins that hold the hitch head in the hitch, then raise up the hitch head to clear the hitch, and then I can drive off the truck. Re-hooking is just the reverse of this - but it can be a geometric challenge when backing up the truck to get the hitch and hitch head aligned properly. It's not so tough the second or third time - but that first time is a real challenge.

But I would never trade my Superglide. The peace of mind knowing that my trailer will not hit the cab is worth it.

Here's a link to the owners manual of the 16K Superglide:http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/4100-4400_SG_OM.pdf
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote