Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I agree with grumpy......
That's what I was told as well.

Are you positive your truck is charging trailer batteries going down the road??

Something needs checked out.

Good Luck
Jack
I have the fridge... no chance you'll get 14/16 hours.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #22

I found the water line!!!! Thanks for all your help. I took the drawer under the shove out and saw a water line and followed it. The line was kinked at the valve. It was behind the wood holding up the drawer guide. Who comes up with where to place these things? Must have been a Friday at 4:59 job. Anyway that's for all your help.
Flipper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sounds like bad batteries or improper connection. JAYCO says 14/16 hours on two batteries. POSITIVE should be on 1 battery and NEGATIVE on the orher.

Also what's the difference, generator or semi's idiling?
Grumpy, we have been in a few places (not necessarily rest areas) that have placed "no generators" and/or "no idling" permitted signs. Now, does everyone listen? No. But I am not willing to get a ticket.

I will double check the batteries. We only get 4-5 hours on 2 batteries. Between the fridge and the other items that run in the background, the batteries are drained. And the truck does not charge the batteries - we have had the connections checked by 3 different companies & told everything is okay with the 12 v connection. Once we get to a site, DW gets out & starts getting the electrical connection ready before we are disconnected because our batteries were "dead" & would not level the trailer.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Grumpy, we have been in a few places (not necessarily rest areas) that have placed "no generators" and/or "no idling" permitted signs. Now, does everyone listen? No. But I am not willing to get a ticket.

I will double check the batteries. We only get 4-5 hours on 2 batteries. Between the fridge and the other items that run in the background, the batteries are drained. And the truck does not charge the batteries - we have had the connections checked by 3 different companies & told everything is okay with the 12 v connection. Once we get to a site, DW gets out & starts getting the electrical connection ready before we are disconnected because our batteries were "dead" & would not level the trailer.
That sounds much more realistic.

Keep in mind too, the fridge will go into "defrost" mode occasionally (according to the manual for up to 30 min) and will use 45-50amps from the battery for how ever long it runs for. I've caught it a few times now while dry camping, by looking at my battery moniter. If I shut the fridge down and back on again it doesn't go back into defrost until it's next(?) cycle.
That's a lot of juice.
I have 520w of solar, I can last 3 days with sun.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #25

I just wanted to share what my experience has been with the res. fridge with two 12v batteries. I keep a battery tender on the batteries while in storage. I brought the 377 home and plugged into 110v at the house. Turned on Fridge to cool off and loaded it up the night before we left. I drove 9 hours the 1st day with the inverter on to our stop over. I checked the battery level just before plugging in at it showed to be 2/3. I plugged in at our stopover, so I'm sure the batteries charged somewhat. On day 2, I drove for 4 hours before arriving at our destination. Upon arrival, the battery meter showed 2/3.

That was my experience this past summer with our longest trip. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
DW wanted it but now wishes she had ordered the dual fridge. We can no longer pull over into truck stops or rest areas to sleep because the residential fridge will drain the battery (2 total) in about 4 hours. We do not have a generator either & still, it is not nice to run a generator in a rest area either. We have yet to fill the freezer but the fridge has been up to 3/4 full.
Marine 71-76

2 things......check your trucks plug when it's running with a test light to see if you have 12 volt charging at rv plug. It is only (hot) when truck is running. This should help maintaining trailer batteries going down the road.

Do you have an inverter switch?? On mine it has to be turned on manually........when going to be traveling.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
..check your trucks plug when it's running with a test light to see if you have 12 volt charging at rv plug. It is only (hot) when truck is running. This should help maintaining trailer batteries going down the road.
Good info to check with truck running, but not all are only hot while running. My 05 Silverado has constant power (factory wired trailer plug) so if parked for extended period unplug the camper to avoid draining truck battery as well as trailer battery.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0130.JPG  
Old 11-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy220 View Post
Good info to check with truck running, but not all are only hot while running. My 05 Silverado has constant power (factory wired trailer plug) so if parked for extended period unplug the camper to avoid draining truck battery as well as trailer battery.

This is true.

The way it use to be was GMs and Rams had power to the plug all the time and only Ford had an isolator in it.

If you have a Ford and you don't have power with the key on I would start checking your fuses and then make sure you have a charge line going to the rear plug.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote