Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Dropping leaf spring in spring hangers

I have a 2017 Jayco HT 28.5 RSTS and I am having the same problem as most people are is leveling out the RV when towing. I see a lot of people talking about dropping there leaf springs in the spring hangers. My question is: (and I have search the forum)I have a hole to drop my front leaf spring down about 2" and a hole to drop my rear leaf spring down about 2" but what about the center position that has the MORryde cre/3000. There is no hole to drop that down 2". Am I missing something?
I am also looking at getting the 16 tires. Why is this thing so low? This is my first fifth wheel and I had no idea I would be dealing with this problem.

Thanks in advance
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Dropping leaf spring in spring hangers

I just had mine done. Made a minimal difference in the angle of the trailer while towing, but it did give my rear leveling jacks a bit more clearance.

The MORryde didn't move, but that's ok. Ride is the same, and because of its mechanics should have no ill effect. Here's a coupe photos of mine for comparison.

Before spring hanger bolt relocation.

After

As you can see there's little difference to the naked eye. In fact, due to angle of the photo it almost looks more level before the adjustment.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
As you can see there's little difference to the naked eye. In fact, due to angle of the photo it almost looks more level before the adjustment.
Sure does - sure you didn't reverse the two photos?

Are you going to do more to try to level it out or quit where you are?
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

What tire size do you have?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Those are the 15" tires. I actually double checked to be certain I didn't reverse the photos. I may upgrade to 16" tires and wheels down the road, primarily for better tires but also to bring it a little closer to level. For now though, I'm ok with it as is since It's not drastically nose high.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 04-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
For now though, I'm ok with it as is since It's not drastically nose high.
My 27.5RLTS with 16" tires is roughly the same nose high as your rig. Haven't had the springs dropped and may decide no to and just live with it not being perfectly level.

I'd post a photo but it's at the dealership having some warranty work done...
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Has anybody used the lippert correct track system to raise the RV? If so, do you like it?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorpie View Post
Has anybody used the lippert correct track system to raise the RV? If so, do you like it?
Yes It worked great on mine, and you can see pics under my (nose high) threads.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

As I mentioned earlier I'm also slightly nose high - my set up looks like TxLoser's before (and after ) photos.

I had an even worse nose high problem on my old FW (see sig) and had the axles flipped. That raised it a little over 4 inches and got it perfectly level, but I was never comfortable with how high it sat above the axles. It always seemed a bit top heavy and I had an alignment problem that I believe may have been the result of how much side force was placed on the shackles when I cornered. The added height of the trailer also made the bottom step uncomfortably high when camped, something my better half was never happy about. (She's not a fan of step-stools.)

I'm going to leave it as is, at least for now. I don't believe it is nose high enough to cause any problem but I will monitor my rear tires closely for any possible issues (higher temps than the front tires and/or greater wear). I'll report back after we take a big road trip.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Unless the nose high issue is bothering you when sleeping, etc, I would leave it alone. That small amount is not anything to worry about.

As mentioned above, we also had a smaller fiver that was much more nose high. It also had tire issues because of the flipping of the axles.

This is just something that those of us with newer 4WD trucks have to put up with unless you want to do some serious mods.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My 27.5RLTS with 16" tires is roughly the same nose high as your rig. Haven't had the springs dropped and may decide no to and just live with it not being perfectly level.

Got it back from the dealer today and took this photo. I the nose is just under 3 inches higher than the tail. No more adjustment left in the pin box or the hitch to maintain 6" above the bed. I don't want to lower the springs so I'm calling it good enough and going camping....
Attached Thumbnails
Level 2.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Got it back from the dealer today and took this photo. I the nose is just under 3 inches higher than the tail. No more adjustment left in the pin box or the hitch to maintain 6" above the bed. I don't want to lower the springs so I'm calling it good enough and going camping....
Why don't you want to lower your springs to the lower holes?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Why don't you want to lower your springs to the lower holes?
I don't want my trailer elevated any higher than it already is for a number of reasons:

1. The 2007 Eagle we had before buying the new HT had flipped axles. It sat perfectly level but was so high off the ground it had center of gravity issues and was too close to being top heavy for my comfort. I'm convinced the CG issue caused or at least contributed to the uneven tire wear and alignment problems I had to deal with.

2. DW isn't as spry as she once was going up and down the entry steps. Lowering the springs elevates the lower step, making some sort of step-stool or platform necessary to aid her making it to the first step. One more thing to haul around...

3. The trailer isn't nose-high enough to create any problems, and if it ain't broke...
Old 04-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #14

Thank you all for the information! I drop my springs to the lower holes last weekend and was able to gain 2" of lift at the rear jacks.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #15

I'd go for it. Not raising the cg by much at all. I'm sure you wouldn't notice. It's a free and easy change. If you don't like it, its easy to put it back.
We have a step we use when needed. It has two height adjustments. I raised all my trailers by the spring hangers with no issues. I travel at 70 mph or so and take turns as fast as she will handle it.
Tire wear would be an alignment issue or unbalanced weight, not caused by changing the ride height through the spring hangers.
I need to load my new Eagle 293 up and see if I need to raise this one. I just took delivery 04-26-17.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:

REWahoo,

I have a similar setup- also nose high 1.5"- I go by the level of the refrigerator/floor, do you know how high you are ?
Attached Thumbnails
2017_FW_JPG@1493144469893.jpg  
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
REWahoo,

I have a similar setup- also nose high 1.5"- I go by the level of the refrigerator/floor, do you know how high you are ?
Not sure what you mean by level of the refrigerator/floor. Can you provide more detail in how you did your measuring?

I took measurements when taking the photo in post #11 above, checking the distance from the bottom of the frame to the ground. At the front (next to the spare) I measured 25 3/4 inches and at the rear, 23 3/4 inches.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #18

I use the Refrigerator as my leveling guide !

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by level of the refrigerator/floor. Can you provide more detail in how you did your measuring?

I took measurements when taking the photo in post #11 above, checking the distance from the bottom of the frame to the ground. At the front (next to the spare) I measured 25 3/4 inches and at the rear, 23 3/4 inches.

I initially level the 5er using a level in the refrigerator (freezer)- The refrigerator should be level to work properly/ using a level on the main floor I also check for level- fortunately in my unit the floor and and refrigerator match up (both level front and back and side to side). I than install levels on the exterior front and side of 5er that are also level. When I hook up the truck to the 5er my front to rear level says I'm 1.5" high. It handles fine and no noticeable difference in tire temp/pressure. Just don't know how level the unit has to be ?
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #19

Just now on our first trip since I dropped the leaves one hole. I'd say the difference is imperceptible. A 90 plus degree turn on a very uneven surface I came very close to touching the corner of my bed to the trailer. Maybe it helped. I don't know. Handling was the same(good). The one thing I suppose it does give me is a little piece of mind that my rear leveling jacks are a bit father from the ground. That's it really. Now, if you're on the fence because of any worry of negative implications, I don't see any. I also wouldn't make it a big priority.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
...my front to rear level says I'm 1.5" high.
I say close enough.

Maybe we should just focus on going places that are mostly downhill and not worry about it.

Quote:
Just now on our first trip since I dropped the leaves one hole. I'd say the difference is imperceptible.
Thanks for the feedback. As I said previously, I'm leaving mine where they are.