Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Dual Tanks and Level Sensors

First post here at the Jayco owners forum, so be kind. I love mods and will be sharing a few soon.

We have a 2015 31.5 FBHS Jayco Fifth Wheel. According to the dealer and specs, we have dual 40 gallon fresh water tanks. We put on lots of miles and do some boondocking so we like to travel with some water in the fresh tanks.

The dealer tech mentioned that the fresh water sensor is connected to the second fresh water tank. In essence it measures from 40-80 gallons. Can someone confirm this is the case?

We would prefer that it measure from 0-40 gallons. There are very few times when we want to carry around anything more than 40 gallons of water.

I'm looking for confirmation on how the tanks are filled/empty as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
MinnesotaProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Team

We have the dual tanks, also, but would have to look under it to see which tank has the sensors. If yours are on the rear tank, you would have to install new sensors on the front tank, and hook up the existing sensor wires to them. At the same time you would need to install a shutoff valve between the tanks.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

We have a different trailer, but it has dual fresh water tanks. On ours, there is a line that connects the two tanks (at the bottom, I believe). There are no valves in between so water flows between the tanks and equalizes the levels. In short, a gauge on either tank is showing the level in both tanks (ie if the gauge reads 1/2, it is 1/2 of 80 gallons). I'm not sure if yours has similar plumbing.

There are inexpensive water meters like
Amazon.com: P3 P0550 Water Meter: Patio, Lawn & Garden
(I've seen it for less) or pour in a known amount from water jugs to judge the accuracy of your trailer's gauges.

Most trailers have a 'gravity fill' for the fresh water tanks (look for a sticker with 'potable water only'), but some units have valves that fill from the 'city water' connection.

Hopefully a member with a trailer similar to yours will have more accurate information.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

My dual tanks are equalized by a hose connecting them at the bottom and this is also where the pump draws from. So it doesn't matter which tank the sensors are on, it's fills and draws from bath tanks together.

If your setup is different I would be surprised. I am less surprised that a dealer tech just made up and answer instead of actually providing an accurate one.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
My dual tanks are equalized by a hose connecting them at the bottom and this is also where the pump draws from. So it doesn't matter which tank the sensors are on, it's fills and draws from bath tanks together.

If your setup is different I would be surprised. I am less surprised that a dealer tech just made up and answer instead of actually providing an accurate one.
IMO, the tech's answer was similar to what we called IBM manuals...
100% accurate, but totally useless.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Welcome aboard, wish I could help answer your question.....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

Our 33.5 RETS also has two tanks, which are connected together, so the gauge reads the total level, as the others have stated. It does not matter that the gauge is only attached to one tank since they "auto-equalize". (Did I just coin a new term? )