Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Eagle 31.5FBHS

After looking and waiting for several months, Kitty and I are now ready to take the plunge and order a 5th-wheel. I say order because, I want the Reese Revolution Pin Box as I have a short box truck. For some reason, Dealers don't stock them. (Yes, I know, one can add it aftermarket, however, that voids the Jayco warranty) Now for my question.

Kitty and I have no experience with 5th wheels, and we want to get it right up front. What accesories do I want to request when I order, and/or have put on at the dealer before I take delivery? What accesories do you wish you had got with yours? Electric stablizers all around? etc:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shorty & Kitty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #2

I dont even know if they are made,but one more set of electric stabilizers at the front of the axles.Maybe an auto-leveler, definitely the slide awnings that roll out when you extend the slides(when ours goes in for the inspection-sticker adding them) .I get on a ladder with a leafblower now before retracting.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

I ordered my trailer with the Reese Revolution and it works great. Prob have over 4k on it towing last year and it worked perfect.
The only prob was my unit was shipped to the dealer and the pin-box was still pined solid. No big deal but I had to point it out to the tech in the walk around. He had no clue what I was talking about till I showed him how it works. The tech even said try it the way it is and we can change it later if you like. I told him; I ordered it to use it ,so he best change it now.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

I don't know what you have for a truck but a 3/4 ton might need air bags to sit level.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

Well, thanks to those that have answered. Kitty tells me I want to go to the dealership this Saturday to order the bunk house. What Kitty tells me I want to do I usually do. You guys know how that is. I will include the slide awnings and check on the elect stablizers on my list. Kitty wants a combo washer/dryer. I want a Sat dish.

Any other suggestions? I know you guys with new RV's got home and said to yourself. " I wish I had got "such in such"." That "such in such" is what I want to know now. Please.

Shorty
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #6

Is this the Superlite? That is the only 31.5 i am aware of.

Here is my list:

Black tank flush
15K BTU A/C
Stabilizer Bars ( i think this might void warranty so this might have to be done after your warranty)
vent covers on roof vents

We have a friend that pulls his superlite with a 3/4 ton gas burner and no issue.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

I bought a 2011 31.5 FBHS and sold it last fall and am in the process of ordering another. One thing I am doing on the next on is putting 16" wheels on it. I also upgraded the air to 15K btu and also did the upgrade package with the nicer countertops and larger fridge. We looked for a long time and bought the 31.5fbhs and never regretted it, just gonna make a few upgrades to the one we order this year. Take care.....Mark
Horses Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

I upgraded to 16" wheels on mine as well (so i could get a load range E tire)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #9

Once again, thanks to all.

Horses Ghost, The 15k btu AC is on our list. I wondered about the 16" wheels. Kitty did not think she needed the solid counter tops for the extra cost, but we just may go with the Deluxe Package. We also think we want the cargo tray/bike rack. I also want a rear ladder. On the one you had, did you install a washer/dryer combo unit, and if so, where did you place it?

FYI, the reason Kitty and I would like to get this thing right the first time is, We use it to take the grandkids for a week long camping vacation once per year. (hence bunkhouse) For a couple of them, it is the only vacation they get or know. Due to Kitty and my age, this will be the last camper we will every buy.

Thanks everyone

Shorty
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Remote option
15K BTU A/C
no slide toppers. More negatives than positives IMHO.
rear ladder.
Rear tray.
Deluxe interior package.(use to include bed, cabinets, lights, countertops, elec fan openers and some other stuff)
Electric jacks.
Keyless door option has gotten some high marks lately. (not an option for us in 11) Ask the forum on this one.
Mor Ryde king pin or something to absorb road conditions other than stock. Had stock for 3 months due to not knowing what I wanted and it is night and day.
Get everything you want before you sign the order so you can negotiate the pricing. Coming back you will pay full blown retail and install hours not to mention the time lost camping.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

3'senough, what negatives are with the slide toppers? I may regrete it, but I plan to go with the Reese Revolution pen box. Yes, keyless entry. Yes, as you say, I plan to get everything in writing, including price, before I sign anything. Problem, I'm so new to camper shopping, I don't know what a "good" price would be.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Slide toppers collect water under heavy rain unless you get up there and put beachballs or something else under them. Sure you can adjust the tension but the larger slides just seem to pool. They also flap in the wind and have no option of being drawn in under those conditions. i.e. thunderstorms. One good thing is that they keep the junk off your roof while under trees. It's really a personal choice but for the money I think I would rather invest it into something else in the unit. If your going to keep your unit in a seasonal spot I could see some benifit to having them.

If your are going with a Jayco try obtaining a web quote from RV direct with all the options. Quick and easy for a shopping tool when you go the local dealer.

If you go with an extended warranty shop it. Jayco has one but when offered to me it was at 10% of the purchase price which I passed on. The 2 year warranty covers you on everything and some of the components are covered by the original manufacturer for longer than that.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I dont even know if they are made,but one more set of electric stabilizers at the front of the axles.Maybe an auto-leveler, definitely the slide awnings that roll out when you extend the slides(when ours goes in for the inspection-sticker adding them) .I get on a ladder with a leafblower now before retracting.
I forgot the remote for the electric jacks/slides.I love it especially since i use a gooseneck as I can stand right by the bed and make sure the ball is lined up.
we just had pure dumb luck on buying our 321RLTS as we never saw any at dealers that werent loaded with extras,Maybe we were looking at places that JAYCO was thier premo units and only ordered as such.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post

If your are going with a Jayco try obtaining a web quote from RV direct with all the options. Quick and easy for a shopping tool when you go the local dealer.

Expect around 30% off MSRP from RVdirect on a ordered unit quote. I bought mine from them as local Jayco dealers were giving me the run around. Happy shopping!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #15

Once again, thanks to all.

One other question. As I stated above, I plan to get the Reese Revolution pen box, but, what recomendations do you guys have for the "in the bed" hitch. I saw a guy with a Hensley. It had air bags, oscilated four ways. The guy stated takes the "bump" out of the tow.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #16

Shorty, it depends on your willingness to invest. The more cushion you put between yourself and the unit the better the ride is going to be. Keep in mind that your truck is only going to give so much as well. I cannet speak to that but there are some threads within this forum on this unit. Do a search on it or start a new topic just on that and some guys will chime in on it. What I can say with conviction is that you want something to cushion the pin connection. What that is and how you choose it depends on your truck and unit setup.

For some reason I thought some guys were having clearence issues depending on the vehicle and pin setup with different configs. Take measurements and consult the manufacturer before investing.

Whatever brand you select I would spend the extra for the claw or upgraded catch if offered. Some brands only do an upgraded version. Reese offers the double plate catch method on the lower dollar hitches but for a few hundred more you can purchase a claw type cast iron catch with a larger plate which I opted for. The unit comes apart with two pins for easier movement out of the truck with decreased weight. Also the new customized mounting brackets are reccomended for more positive mounting vs the universal mounts.

Curt makes a nice hitch as well. If you go with the sidewinder/revolution then your only option is to cushion the hitch.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #17

I have the 30.5 BHLT with the revolution. My hitch is a standard non-cusioned hitch and I really don't have any issues. I am able to turn very tight with the revolution and not even have to think about it, you are not making a mistake going with one. My Superlite pulls very easily behind the F250. If this is your first 5th, you're in for a treat!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #18

Well, Kitty did it. She ordered the bunkhouse Sat. Dealer says it should get here late March or early April. I guess we have joined the ranks of the 5'ers. Thanks to all for your input.

Shorty
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Well, Kitty did it. She ordered the bunkhouse Sat. Dealer says it should get here late March or early April. I guess we have joined the ranks of the 5'ers. Thanks to all for your input.

Shorty
Congrats and enjoy!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

Congrats and welcome to the club.

I would suggest you put together a list of PDI pre-checks that you go over before you take it off the lot. i.e. A/C bolt check and numerous other minor issues that have been poping up for other owners. Suggest you start a new thread to draw more input for the minor issues others have had.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB