Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS Issues

So we took delivery of our fifth wheel early January and Haven't had much of a chance to use it much as of yet. We are planning a trip this weekend with some friends of ours, and in the process of getting ready, I pulled the camper out from under the cover and started exercising systems. Much to my chagrin, after turning the battery disconnect back on, nothing worked. Nothing. Deader than a door nail. So, plugged the 7 way into the truck to lift the front and hook up, pulled the camper around to the spot where we load up, tried to turn on the heater, air blow but no fire. Irritated now. Tried to open the furnace to see if it was just a safety tripped or a loose wire (Dealer is a pain and for something simple I would rather fix it myself than deal with them). Lo and behold, the furnace is installed in such a way that it is not serviceable without completely removing it. Really upset now. closed everything back up, figured I'd give the stat another whirl just for grins, clicks, fan comes on and then that whoosh. Great, seems to be working right??

Fast forward to last night. go inside the camper to install the new shower head (oxygenics) and the thing is cold, but furnace fan is running. Really want to beat my head against a wall now. So, I figured I would kill all power to the camper, (120V disconnected and turn the battery switch off) and reset. Tried that, disconnected the 120, then flipped the battery switch and much to my surprise, lights and all other 12VDC systems remained functional. Kind of comical at this point.

Has anyone else had these type of issues out of the box? We went with Jayco because we were told by family that the build quality was great. I know that this stuff is minor, and the dealer is only down the street, but this is still aggravating. Our last camper spent 8 of the first 12 months in the shop, hoping we don't run into that again...
nd12811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yes Jayco built good stuff.............but sometimes a station in the mfg. plant is not quite finished yet. But then there are a lot of owner operator errors.

When shore power is disconnected............batt. power will go dead (and might be ruined)!
When opening propane bottle do it slow to avoid lockup. Then light your stove burner first. Then Furnace and water heater (be sure it has water in it) but it might take a few tries.
Always inform oneself first before operating and take things for granted. Technology changes by the day.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #3

Ditto on lighting the stove to draw propane in. Also you'll need propane for the fridge when traveling. Leave the shore power on to charge the batts. It may take a few days to full charge.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Understood on education first, but I work on HVAC/Control systems every day. And I also understand that the battery will go dead, however there is a disconnect there which I though was to disconnect the battery fully. With our previous camper I used to completely remove the battery as there was no disconnect, looks like I may go that route with this one to be safe. Main concern is that when shore power is disconnected and battery disconnect off, the 12V systems remain functional, leading me to believe that the disconnect either is not functional or not installed properly.

I thought the same things for the propane, lit the stove first, then the water heater, then the fridge. Furnace just didn't light, and then it did. And now it wont light anymore. Seems to be a safety/control issue.
nd12811 is offline   Reply With Quote