Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

Hi all. Newbie here, but been on other fora for years. The above FW is on my short-list to replace my '04 Komfort 25FSG. Given that the Jayco is almost 2' longer, with 3 slides, but weighs in about 1,300 lbs LESS (11,300 GVW vs 9950 GVW), durability does concern me. I'd appreciate hearing back from any owners with their experiences on these FWs in the past couple years. TIA...

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

We just got ours in January, and it's been in our driveway since, getting ready for our first trip, and tweaking some things, so don't have much experience with it other than that, but so far, we haven't found anything we don't like about it. Sure like the amount of storage it has in the basement, among other things.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

The Eagle HT line is targeted at half ton pickups, hence the HT. That said, while we don't have a 27.5 RLTS, we do have a 27.5 BHS (bunk house and one large slide). We've had ours now for close to two years (8/2013) and it's a 2014 model. It's been solid with zero problems. It tows well, is very comfortable and nicely appointed interior and exterior wise.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
We just got ours in January, and it's been in our driveway since, getting ready for our first trip, and tweaking some things, so don't have much experience with it other than that, but so far, we haven't found anything we don't like about it. Sure like the amount of storage it has in the basement, among other things.
When you say "tweaking", are you making small mods, or are you fixing stuff that's not right from the factory?

Lyle
Old 04-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
The Eagle HT line is targeted at half ton pickups, hence the HT. That said, while we don't have a 27.5 RLTS, we do have a 27.5 BHS (bunk house and one large slide). We've had ours now for close to two years (8/2013) and it's a 2014 model. It's been solid with zero problems. It tows well, is very comfortable and nicely appointed interior and exterior wise.
Thanks, Quahog.

Lyle
Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #6

Make sure you understand the tongue weight of the 5er, and your trucks payload capacity once fully loaded

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
When you say "tweaking", are you making small mods, or are you fixing stuff that's not right from the factory?

Lyle
I fixed a wire that was pinched under the rear stabilizer jacks. It hadn't shorted out, but would have eventually. I think that was inexcusable to be missed at the factory, since it was right beside one of the bolts they had to tighten. Also had a small leak on a water valve. In fairness, it may not have been leaking when it left the factory. It was a defect in the valve they used, not the way they installed it.
Other than that, I've just been doing some other things to it, like adding carpeting in the metal tray in the front storage section, put in a different exhaust fan in the bathroom, and little stuff like that.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Again, not the same model owned, but one that is very close. Starting the 3rd season with it.

All my issues:
1. Outside hose sprayer leaked a little.
2. Loose switch wire, preventing the awning from working.
3. City water connector froze and wouldn't unscrew (had to turn the hose, instead), so was replaced.

Repaired under warranty.

Two month long trips (Minn. to Maine, Minn to Calif/Oregon), plus several long weekends more locally.

Nothing that needed self-repair/adjustment (except, of course, things that I did to it that I had to then fix!)

There seems to be a reason Jayco is one of the few offering a 2-year warranty.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #9

I should add - upgrades I have done:
Added Strongarm stabilizers to reduce bounce/wiggle when in camp.
Upgraded battery to two 6v
Changed out lights to LED's (I believe new ones already have this feature).
Added a medium size inverter to run the TV/DVD when dry camping.

There are areas that seem very "lightly" built, especially wood panels and framing thereof - but Jayco does seem to have engineered them right - nothing has become loose, needs tightening, or has shifted due to wear and tear.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Make sure you understand the tongue weight of the 5er, and your trucks payload capacity once fully loaded
Absolutely! I about walked out on a Jayco salesman when he started telling me about the HT being "half-ton towable". If they're empty, and you have a '14 or '15 with all the towing options and few other options on the truck, then sure, they're HT towable, but if you've got a loaded truck and you're ready to camp, I would, in no way, hook =any= of them up to a HT truck. My '02 2500HD 4x4, CC, std box is =solid= on the overloads with my 11,300 GVW Komfort at much less than gross, and I've scaled my rig when light, and am near my max #s on all but my tires. As I tell other newbies, "it's not what you can TOW, it's what you can CARRY, that's the important number. All else is hype."

Lyle
Old 04-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
I should add - upgrades I have done:
Added Strongarm stabilizers to reduce bounce/wiggle when in camp.
Upgraded battery to two 6v
Changed out lights to LED's (I believe new ones already have this feature).
Added a medium size inverter to run the TV/DVD when dry camping.

There are areas that seem very "lightly" built, especially wood panels and framing thereof - but Jayco does seem to have engineered them right - nothing has become loose, needs tightening, or has shifted due to wear and tear.
Good to know, Flapper. Some of my first changes would be 2x 6v batteries, some mild solar and, possibly, an inverter.

Lyle
Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #12

Lyle, I have to disagree with you on this one. When I purchased my 2014 Eagle HT 27.5 BHS, my TV was an F150 EcoBoost with MaxTow and HD Payload. The cargo capacity as stated on the label was 2454 lbs. Even after I installed the hitch, had the bed liner sprayed, and installed a retractable bed cover, I was still well under the payload limit.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Lyle, I have to disagree with you on this one. When I purchased my 2014 Eagle HT 27.5 BHS, my TV was an F150 EcoBoost with MaxTow and HD Payload. The cargo capacity as stated on the label was 2454 lbs. Even after I installed the hitch, had the bed liner sprayed, and installed a retractable bed cover, I was still well under the payload limit.
As I said, unless you're talking the =latest= HT trucks, these are very marginal for towing with an HT. I've never scaled my rig =full=, but a ratio calc puts me > 1800 lbs on the pin and that's if there's no change in the ratio when I'm loaded. NBD, as I'm never going to have another HT truck and, if I get to replace my '02, it will be a 3500HD SRW, no matter =how= light my FW is. :-) Just so you know, I grew up on a farm and towed 20k+ trailers with my HT trucks, without brakes, and the hitch pin nearly dragging on the ground. Never went far or fast, but even then it was an adventure! :-)

Lyle