Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrow View Post
That's good to see/hear. I swapped my 32.5" tires for 34s on my Ram and also have the 16" tires on my 29.5. Nice set up you have!!
Thanks

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read a few times now that the 16 inch wheel option also comes with heavier axles which also helps it in sitting taller

For what it's worth before my 5er came in I measured a bunch of units on the lot. They were all 15 inch wheel models. I don't remember the exact measurements now but when level on level ground, the bottom of the 5er was about two inches lower than the top of my bed rail. I was convinced I was going to have to do at least a 6 inch subframe to level with the 16 inch wheels. However, once it arrived I was nowhere near that low so either something changed for '16 or the 16 inch wheels option offered more height than the 1.5 inches or so of the tires only.

I'll be out screwing with my 5er tomorrow. I'll look to see what axles are under. It's not level where it's at though so I can't really get measurements for reference.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #22

I have the 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 cummins. I pull a 345 BHTS with the B&W Companion hitch. Been from Texas to S Dakota and never had an issue. Great pulling truck.
Skaggsryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Thanks

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read a few times now that the 16 inch wheel option also comes with heavier axles which also helps it in sitting taller
I don't think so. I would think that only heavier load springs would help that and my sticker still has the same axle limits as a trailer with 15's.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #24

Nice looking truck. Any of the big three 2500's should be fine power wise. Congrats on the new camper and truck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I have the exact set up. A '15 Ram 2500 4x4 Outdoorsman (sits 1 inch taller than standard truck from factory) crew cab CTD. Stock tires measure 33inches tall. I've swapped on 35s. 5er is a '16 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS. I was very concerned with heights as well but it's not so bad. I ordered my 5er with the 16 inch wheels and Maxxis tires which add about 1.5 inches in height. From the factory, the springs are already on top of the axle (I've seen other mention the dealer flipped them for them. They were lied to) but there is two holes on the spring hangers on the frame. It comes with them in the upper hole but should provide another 1.5 inches or so in height when swapped to the lower hole. With the hitch adjusted for about 6 inches of bed clearance, it does sit slightly nose high. I plan to change the mount holes soon and I suspect I should be pretty level. The truck only sags an inch or so with the 5er hooked up and it barely notices it when pulling.

Looking at that I'd guess that's at least 4" + nose high (may just be angle of picture). I have a 2010 ram 2500 and a 2014 27.5bhs and my nose was 6+" high. Ended up installing a 5" subframe and 16" tires.

Before..

After subframe before tires
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:58 AM   #26

I read through your subframe threads. I thought for sure I'd be doing it too! I don't really have any other pics but it looks just a bit nose high directly from the side. Nothing like yours. I believe it'll be hooked up this coming weekend so I'll take some other pics. I'll try to measure it too.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

We just picked up our fiver today, a 2016 321RSTS. TV is a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4L 4X4. We were 8" nose high. The dealer raised the king pin, and flipped the axles. We're now down to 4" high. The guy who did our walk-through with us said that one customer told him that he was able to get the rear of his truck lowered (?). Has anyone heard of that? Also...I've seen several mentions of sub-frame mods for the trailer. Can someone give me some detail on what's involved and ballpark cost? By the way...first time Truck owner, first time RV owner here, so get ready for me playing 1000 questions. Thanks!
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #28

If your 4" nose high, drive it first for a while. I'm a little high but it tows well and has never given me any concerns.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #29

I agree with above. A little nose high doesn't hurt anything. If it tows ok then don't worry about it. The myth that more weight is on the back axle is all just a myth. The axles have an equalizer that balances things out so everything works as intended.

Regarding the subframe, it's basically a metal spacer between the axles and the frame of the 5er to add height. Usually built with square tubing and welded in. I've never had one built by someone else but it would likely be around $1000 or more with labor involved.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #30

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Based on the comments I've received both here and on Facebook, the consensus seems to be to just wait a while and see what happens after the coach is loaded and we have a few trips under our belt. It is nice to know that removing some spring spacers from the back of the truck is an option, along with a sub frame too. I worry about increasing the height of the RV any more. According to the manufacturing specs, with the bedroom AC the height of the unit would be 13' 3". Between the axles and the pin box we've brought that up to 13' 7". At that point I start to worry about bridge overpasses, But I'm a newbie so maybe a lot of concern over nothing.
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #31

I'm higher than that so my advice is relax and enjoy the journey. As you can see I sit nose high 2 or three inches and never had a problem. Would rather be a little nose high than have to tow with one of those Fords or Chevy wannabe trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #32
Site Team

Yes, We suffer in style!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #33

Geez. Youre 13'7" already? Most places you'll be fine but isn't normal legal height 13'6"? I certainly wouldn't want to raise it any more.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman View Post
We just picked up our fiver today, a 2016 321RSTS. TV is a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4L 4X4. We were 8" nose high. The dealer raised the king pin, and flipped the axles. We're now down to 4" high. The guy who did our walk-through with us said that one customer told him that he was able to get the rear of his truck lowered (?). Has anyone heard of that? Also...I've seen several mentions of sub-frame mods for the trailer. Can someone give me some detail on what's involved and ballpark cost? By the way...first time Truck owner, first time RV owner here, so get ready for me playing 1000 questions. Thanks!
A reverse level is what you're referring to for lowering the rear. You can swap the spacers from below the rear axle to above and/or a smaller spacer.

As far as a subframe, here's what I did. Can see the undercarriage before and after.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...t-18663-2.html It cost me around $300 I believe in material. I've heard in the ball park of 1-1.5k to have it done.
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #35

All good information..we pick up our 16 29.5rsts this Saturday with our new Ram 3500 crew cab. It's 4wd and has 20" tires so I am not sure how the added height will effect the combination. Biggest issue so far has been getting a hitch that will work. The 29.5 has a new Reese revolution pin box and the camping world location we purchased at seems to be very baffled by the operation of the pin box. I ended up with a pull rite 20k standard hitch. This is the first 5th wheel adventure for me so still have a lot to learn myself.
KampK2onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote