Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

Eagle HT 29.5FBDS vs 29.5BHDS vs 26.5BHS. Opinions/Suggestions/Wisdom?

We are shopping for our first fifth wheel after two bumper pull trailers. We would appreciate any insight/pros/cons from any of you who own or have shopped the Eagle HT 29.5FBDS or 29.5BHDS or 26.5BHS.

The tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab short bed 4x4 with factory rear air suspension.

In addition to a 60"x80" main bed, which these all have, we would like bunks that are 80” or longer for tall family members that join us sometimes.

We have been inside the 29.5 BHDS, and will check out the 29.5 FBDS and 29.5 BHDS in person next weekend.

Here are some things we have considered. Any input is welcome on the items below, or other things to consider. We appreciate learning from the experience of others.

Secondary Beds

26.5BHS has two 80” long by 48” wide bunk beds.

29.5FBDS has four 74” long by 30” wide bunk beds. We would reconfigure the two on the ground to be a king sized bed (72"x80") sleeping area, with the two other 30” wide bunks above for storage.

29.5BHDS has two 74” long by 54’ wide bunks. We would get a king mattress (72"x80") for the lower bunk that we could cut/notch and extend onto the steps, making it about 80” long x 51” wide over the steps plus about 55” long x 21” wide further back on the bunk.

Outside Storage

The 26.5BHS and the 29.5FBHD have less basement storage in the front due to the shorter upstairs front (i.e. no raised bath up front).

It would be nice to offer a super-size outside storage door for access under the rear bunks, possibly with happijac or hinged bunks.

Even without a super-size outside storage door, it seems like storage door access to under bunk area could be better/larger.

Inside Storage and Counter Space

Not vast, but seems workable for our use, which is usually long weekends and maybe a couple of 1-2 week trips/year.

Other

From looking at the floorplans, it appears you can access the refrigerator and bathroom with the slides in/closed?

The outside access bathroom of the 26.5BHS looks nice.

The 26.5BHS and 29.5FBDS only have only one grey water tank to drain, but thus less capacity.

The 26.5BHS is 2-3’ shorter than the other two. All other things being equal, shorter is better for camp site flexibility?

Having the bath/shower on the lower level of the 26.5BHS and 29.5FBDS seems nice.

The rear windows of the 29.5FBDS seem nice.

The 26.5BHS does not have an outside kitchen.

Missing Features?

I would really like to have the super-size outside storage door and bunks that lift for interior bicycle storage. A door on the middle back of the 29.5BHDS and 26.5BHS would allow that, and might even allow longer items like a canoe during transit. That may be the item we compromise on here as we haven't been able to find a fifth wheel with bunks with a large storage door like this.

Other missing features?

Other Brands

We like the Jayco Eagle HT line from what we have seen so far considering floorplans, interior and exterior finishes, and weight.

Did you consider any other brands when shopping these specific models?

Is there anything else you would recommend checking out?

Thank you!
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

We have the 29.5BHDS. Can't speak for the others, as it's been too long ago that we looked at them. The lack of basement storage on the FBDS and the 26.5 BHDS were deal breakers for us. Just not enough storage for us.

The 29.5 BHDS does allow for bathroom access with slides in, but NOT for the fridge. We didn't like that part, but couldn't find one we liked better that did allow access. We find ourselves putting the slide out about a foot or so to access it on the road.

Our old fifth had narrow long bunks. Kids got to the point where they were too narrow and they didn't want to sleep in them. The one we have was the best we found for us.

My 2 pennies...
Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

You might want to wait. Jayco has just released the eagle ht 30.5mbok. Mid bunk room with nice sized bunks. Rear kitchen/entertainment. Looks like it will have nice outdoor storage too! I was really excited when I saw this. If we get another camper this was the floorplan I was hoping to get but most are too heavy for a 3/4 tons. This one won't be though. We tow with the same truck as you but with the 6.4l hemi and 4.10 gears. I can't wait to lay eyes on this new floorplan. Looks like it will meet most of your requirements. Which are pretty much what we are looking for too. Counterspace! And storage!
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Happy trailer shopping and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
Just a thought, have you considered the eagle (or other brand) with front living room? Two beds up there for when the kids or family are there, and a nice living room for when they aren't. We spend little to no time in the camper for our actual camping trips that are week long, mostly outside at campsite, so this was our route. But is great for the weekend trips during travel when you do use the living space

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Thank you for the feedback above.

The 339FLQS and 30.5MBOK are cool ideas. I am curious to see both in person.

I like the idea of the flex space of the 339FLQS depending on visitors or not, and on length of trip. Being open to below looks like it really makes for a nice feel inside. Looks like it would feel very light inside. I am going to find one of these to check out in person.

How different is it going to a 39' (339FLQS) vs 34' (29.5FBDS) fifth wheel, especially with backing and parking?

Also, I'm wondering if I would be better with the 1,590 lb dry hitch weight of the 29.5FBDS vs. the 2,005 lb dry hitch weigh of the 339FLQS?
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

I tow with an 06 f250, no problems at all as far as weight and handling. As for the the length, I was used to towing a 31ft TT prior to the 339flqs, and honestly find the new trailer more pleasant of a pulling and parking experience. This past week we showed up at one of our favorite sites (Cades cove TN) and was told the sites had been repaved and the spot I reserved is now labeled as a van only, (They actually shortened several of the spots with the parking curbs for some reason during rework, and changed the angle) and that they were completely booked up and had no where else to put us. Needless to say, I told them I would still try, and sure enough had a large audience, but backed it right on there. Only issue I had was having to use boards in a dip, to keep the rear Jack's from dragging, and the angle was over 90 degrees with no swing room. But I got it, and the whole campground was ready to help if I didn't

Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

One suggestion I could make is to go to this site and make sure that your TV is still adequate, if you're looking at bigger and heavier trailer: RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR

Do you own weight calculations and make sure that your vehicle can tow a heavier Eagle. Just a suggestion, of course.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
Thank you for the feedback above.

The 339FLQS and 30.5MBOK are cool ideas. I am curious to see both in person.

I like the idea of the flex space of the 339FLQS depending on visitors or not, and on length of trip. Being open to below looks like it really makes for a nice feel inside. Looks like it would feel very light inside. I am going to find one of these to check out in person.

How different is it going to a 39' (339FLQS) vs 34' (29.5FBDS) fifth wheel, especially with backing and parking?

Also, I'm wondering if I would be better with the 1,590 lb dry hitch weight of the 29.5FBDS vs. the 2,005 lb dry hitch weigh of the 339FLQS?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Just some more food for thought, The "no bunk house" units don't leave you with an unused dedicated sleep space for when the kids no longer go or grow out of them. And that means you don't have to go dredded shopping for another unit without bunks like most end up doing. So, in my case, the front living made since for the fact we plan on having kids soon (however will be encouraged to sleep outside in a tent like I did when I was a kid) and know those two opposing beds would make for a really nice sleep over space for them and when their friends tag along. And one bed is a pull out queen, so even usable when they get older. But once they grow up and this unit has hopefully held up very well, we won't be stuck having to spend a lot of money on another unit again. Again, hopefully all works to plan

Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

The only thing I worry about is having to fold the couchs out a lot. I tested one out in a 339flqs 2017 model. It did not inspire confidence for ruggedness. We have 2 girls and it felt like they would tear it up. It did not seem like it would hold up to being used a lot year in and year out. Intermittent use I can see. Relying on it for a dedicated bed you may be wishing for dedicated bunks. I could be totally off base but it's just my 2 cents. Also yes the diesel 3/4 tons don't have a very good payload rating. So keep that in mind for gvwr of truck. It would handle the heavier unit fine but most likely over gvwr of truck. Also with babies it's nice to have a separate sleep area for them so you are not on pins and needles while they're sleeping in the pack n play. Trust me been there done it in a hideout 27dbs with a German Shepherd in camper too. But I don't think the op has this issue I believe.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #11

You could check out the cougar xlite models. They have one with large storage door in rear. Also open range light and grand design 28bh reflection.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

I would also agree on the fold bed from couch not feeling up to snuff, but that I can fix, and was part of my consideration, I certainly didn't expect any rv to really impress me and not require some mods, but each individual needs to consider these things as to what they know they are capable of changing or having to pay someone to fix. I get that, and respect that.