Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #21

I realize that....but that's one more inch that I didn't have before. Hopefully that will give me 7" of clearance on the rear of the truck bed, plus the higher load rating on the 16" tires will help if there is more weight being applied to the rear FW tires. If this doesn't do the trick, I will consider the sub frame at a later time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloo View Post
You will only get app 1" with the tires as the height difference has to be split with the top of tire
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #22

I currently own a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, Short Bed, CTD, 4x4, Factory Rear Air Suspension, without 5th Wheel Prep.

I am very interested in a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5FBDS, but am concerned about the height/level issues you are raising with Ram 2500 and Eagle HT.

I want to understand what I am getting myself into before purchasing, both from a time and cost perspective. I appreciate learning about these potential issues from you.

1. I am planning to change the standard 15" wheels/tires to 16" wheels/tires anyhow.
  2. I can run with the Rear Air Suspension in "Alt Trailer Height" (about 1" lower rear).
  3. Should the two adjustments above be enough, or will spring adjustments be necessary too?
  4. Should the three adjustments above be enough?
  5. Is there a pin box and/or hitch change that will help the situation? The trailer I am looking at has a standard pin box. I am considering getting a MOR/ryde pin box or Airborne Sidewinder pin box. I don't currently have a fifth wheel hitch and am open to solutions that might help.
  6. I don't know that I want to get into a sub frame mod.
Is this enough of an issue that you would suggest not purchasing an Eagle HT if pulling with a newer Ram 2500 4x4?

Thank you very much.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #23

Is the nose-up condition worse on HT vs. non-HT Eagles? Do the HT’s have a lower pin height when level?
Old 11-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #24

[
I'm afraid the spring adjustment will be necessary. I have had that done and added 16" tires and wheels and still running nose high. I am seriously considering a 2" sub frame addition to help level the HT with my Ram 2500.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone a different rout. We really like this FW, but it's becoming a pain in the rear and exspensive.

QUOTE=fugawi;466617]I currently own a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, Short Bed, CTD, 4x4, Factory Rear Air Suspension, without 5th Wheel Prep.

I am very interested in a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5FBDS, but am concerned about the height/level issues you are raising with Ram 2500 and Eagle HT.

I want to understand what I am getting myself into before purchasing, both from a time and cost perspective. I appreciate learning about these potential issues from you.

1. I am planning to change the standard 15" wheels/tires to 16" wheels/tires anyhow.
  2. I can run with the Rear Air Suspension in "Alt Trailer Height" (about 1" lower rear).
  3. Should the two adjustments above be enough, or will spring adjustments be necessary too?
  4. Should the three adjustments above be enough?
  5. Is there a pin box and/or hitch change that will help the situation? The trailer I am looking at has a standard pin box. I am considering getting a MOR/ryde pin box or Airborne Sidewinder pin box. I don't currently have a fifth wheel hitch and am open to solutions that might help.
  6. I don't know that I want to get into a sub frame mod.
Is this enough of an issue that you would suggest not purchasing an Eagle HT if pulling with a newer Ram 2500 4x4?

Thank you very much.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Well.....my dealer raised the FW approximately 1 1/2" via the spring hangers today. I now have a good 6" clearance between the top of the tailgate and the FW. I also order five 16" Maxxis 8008 E rated tires. The extra 2" of tire height should put me in pretty good shape.
I'm running out of $$$$ for this FW deal, so I'm going to have to live with it for a while after this......good bad or otherwise.

I'll try to get some pic with the FW hooked up after the tires are installed. It will probably be this coming weekend before it gets done.

Can you please tell me what size 16' tires you purchased? Did you purchase wheels from Discount Tire too? I am considering doing the same thing.

Also, is there a larger diameter 15" tire that would accomplish the same thing without needing to get larger wheels too?

Thank you.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #26

Maxxis M8008
ST235/80R/16
3430# @ 80 PSI

I bought the tires and wheels at Discount Tire. They had to order both but it only took a few days. Be sure and have them install metal valve stems in case you want to install a TPMS.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #27

You can also have the dealer install "Correct Track" that will raise it 2", and is standard on many new 5ers.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #28

My new 29.5FBDS has 15" wheels and tires. The dealer adjusted the spring hangers. I also dropped the rear of the Ram 2500 by about 1" by using the Alternate Trailer Height setting with the factory rear air suspension.

With those adjustments, I have about 6" of clearance between the top of the gate and the bottom of the trailer. See photo below.

Should I go ahead and get 16" wheels and tires to raise another 2"?

Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_132548_resized.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	28108
Old 11-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #29

IMHO.....I went ahead and upgraded to 16" wheels and Maxxis E rated tires for the extra height, but more for the peace of mind knowing I had a good quality tire with a higher load rating than the 15" tires. I just tried to get all the height I could without adding a sub frame.
I would love to be able to leave my tow vehicle hooked up to my FW for those one night stay overs without having to worry about refrigerator damage due to not be level enough.
As it sits now, I will still have to raise the FW up on leveling blocks to get to that point.
If it fits your budget.......I would upgrade.