Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Eagle HT towing testimonial with HT truck

Hello,
We currently have a 267BH and may be upgrading to something slightly larger with a third (minimum) bunk. We have an F-150 eco 3.55 LB 4x4 and I am interested in the HT fifth wheels. Just looking for some testimonials from people with HT trucks that tow these trailers....I know it's best to have a 3/4 ton at least so please don't reply saying that. POINT TAKEN. I have lots of experience towing but just looking for some other point of views...
thanks!
therealbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

This is a hot topic. I hope you get the information you seek.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! As mentioned by oldmanAZ this has certainly been a hot topic here. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find some of the previous threads on the subject. We're hoping to upgrade to a FW in the next couple of years. I would love to be able to do it with a 1/2 ton like the Tundra or Ford, but we'll probably go with a 3/4 ton gasser that we can pick up for about the same cost and not be as restricted on FW choices.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #4

Not to keep beating a dead horse here about the 3/4 ton, but having more power and torque is much better than not enough. Some of the factors you should consider, when considering a tow vehicle:

1. The weight provided by the RV manufacturer is the "dry" weight. After cargo, hitch weight, water, holding tanks and mods, your overall weight can increase significantly.

2. The tow capacity of your truck provided by the factory leaves much room for debates. There are a lot of folks with 1/2 ton trucks who tow over the rated weight. Check out this link and calculate your total weight when considering your overall package: RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR

3. The weight capacity that you'd calculated may be within specs, when you're not moving. But, when towing you need to also consider head winds, cross winds, uphill and downhill grades. These factors can reduce your overall towing capacity.

Others may have other inputs, but having more reserve power and torque will always come in handy, when you need them most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbc View Post
Hello,
We currently have a 267BH and may be upgrading to something slightly larger with a third (minimum) bunk. We have an F-150 eco 3.55 LB 4x4 and I am interested in the HT fifth wheels. Just looking for some testimonials from people with HT trucks that tow these trailers....I know it's best to have a 3/4 ton at least so please don't reply saying that. POINT TAKEN. I have lots of experience towing but just looking for some other point of views...
thanks!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

I have a 1/2 ton with Air Bags, vented Rotors and 8 ply tires and with 45 psi. I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS with a dry weight of 8800 lbs. Travel with 10 gallons of water in tanks. Just drove 1100 miles Chicago to Florida . No problems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

It's great to hear that you are having a good experience with your set up. Every owner, of course, is responsible for his/her set up. My points were merely suggestions, not rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post

I have a 1/2 ton with Air Bags, vented Rotors and 8 ply tires and with 45 psi. I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS with a dry weight of 8800 lbs. Travel with 10 gallons of water in tanks. Just drove 1100 miles Chicago to Florida . No problems.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Thank you all for your replies. If we go this route will definitely need high quality LT tires and most likely airbags, again if we go this route. The equivalent TT are also pretty nice so will think about those as well. Again just wondering about people's HT experience with these HT fifth wheels as it looks like they are getting more popular from manufacturers, thanks! Was hoping to stay around 33-34' total so that's why I was looking further into the fifth wheels.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

Yes the tow ratings from the factory are a guideline to start with I guess, A lot more goes into towing the heavy loads as you know. For starters and one thing quickly overlooked by less experienced folks are the tires, the tires play a huge role in total weight of the TV regarding to how much tongue or pin weight there is. Anyway....thanks!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

With $2500.00 to make the truck safer was my decision. The dealer never mentioned this to me. The Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel was designed for half ton trucks. Hence the HT in the name.

Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

If you upgraded to LT tires, you should check the load inflation index for the tires. I think you are dead-on with 45psi for both front/rear, I believe that if you spec the LT option from the factory GM specifies 45psi on the tire pressure sticker on the inside of the driver door.

I have Cooper LTs, after consulting the load inflation index I found that I need 40psi unloaded and 45psi for maximum payload. They ride rough and loud, but are night and day compared to the stock P-rated tires when it comes to tracking on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
With $2500.00 to make the truck safer was my decision. The dealer never mentioned this to me. The Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel was designed for half ton trucks. Hence the HT in the name.

motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #11

Yes not looking forward to rougher riding tires, I will be very picky as my truck is very smooth rolling now. I found some Michelins which are supposed to be nice and 45 lbs for max load just like yours.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #12

Hi. I have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS and tow it with my 2016 Ford F-150 with the 5.0L engine. I live in upstate NY and it is pretty hilly. I have not had any issues towing my 5th wheel at all. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

Lots of good info noted about making SURE you do not exceed any of the weight recommendations of your truck. Tires, axels, overall capacity, towing ability, etc., etc.
Having direct experience here, the biggest limitation with an F150 is payload capacity. You simply must have one with the Heavy Duty Payload package. That includes 7 lug big tires, better suspension, etc., etc. Don't even think about it if you don't have that factory add-on. Most can easily pull a fifth, but they can't carry a fifth. And then you still have to load your 5th pretty light AND not have much in your truck. Mine is older, and we are just a bit below capacity. The new aluminum ones give you a few hundred pounds more. But it is still close. And to-date, I haven't seen a competitor with a "1/2 ton" that has higher payload. But the F150 has to be fully tricked out to do it.

That warning noted - since I am within mfg. specs, I am very comfortable with the combination. We've taken trips from central Minn. to: Maine (Arcadia); California/Oregon via Nevada out, and Idaho back; Alabama and Louisiana; and a monster trip to Colorado and Utah. Plus several more regional trips. About 20,000 mi. on the combo. Many mountain passes, up to almost 12K ft. Many very long 6% grades. It has been great, with nary a hint of drivability concern. I did put airbags on this year, to reduce the squat a bit. But they turned out to be something that I didn't really need.

It can be done, but you have to be very, very selective about the truck, the 5th and what you put into both.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

Interesting thread, we are debating on a HT 28.5RTS or a HT 29.5 BHDS we have a 2016 F150 and we ordered it with the max tow and HD, our payload is up to 2505, but I am still nervous. Its good to hear that people are having success with F150s
Chrisdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

I would agree that out of major three American makers of the half-ton trucks, Ford has the best truck. And, I'm sure the F-150 can handle the tow and pay load of a typical Eagle HT. However, when we move up to the 3/4 ton trucks, I would have to say that Ram 2500 can keep up with Ford F-250. Of course, we're a bit biased toward the Ram, since we own one . Not to take anything away from Ford in any way, but we found the Ram's Cummins Turbo Diesel and heavy duty tow package great features for towing a fifth wheel. We also love the exhaust brake and the tow/haul features, which helped us tremendously on steep downhill grades.

I guess it's really comes down to personal preference. We do love the Ford's "cool" features over the Ram, but we ended up saving thousands on our Ram deal with the dealer. So, we're Ram fans now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdon View Post
Interesting thread, we are debating on a HT 28.5RTS or a HT 29.5 BHDS we have a 2016 F150 and we ordered it with the max tow and HD, our payload is up to 2505, but I am still nervous. Its good to hear that people are having success with F150s
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 12-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Chris, you should post a picture of your HDPP F150 because many believe that they do not exist.

There is a good article in Trailer Life Magazine on the Myth of the half-towable fifth wheel which will help you understand the confusion. An 8,000 lb travel trailer will have a recommended 12 - 15 % pin or tongue weight of 1040 to 1200 lbs. An 8000lb 5th wheel with recommended pin weight of 15-20% will be 1200 to 1600lbs. Many half-tons off the dealer lot will have an available payload of 1100 to 1500lbs. Payload will be exceeded before any passengers or cargo are in the TV. It is only specially equipped half-tons such as your HDPP F150 (I believe Ram and Chev also have HD payload packages) are equipped to handle the additional payload of smaller fifth wheels. If you spend some time on the forum you will see advice from some "experts' who believe all half tons are the same and that a half-ton with 1100 lbs or 1500lbs of payload has the same capacity and capabilities as your "half-ton" with over 2500lbs of available payload. Ignore the comments from those that towed with an F150 once and pay attention to those with experience with an F150 with similar ratings to yours. Payload is usually the limiting factor and then verify your Rear Axle Weight Ratings to ensure you are within manufacturer specs. Your F150 will have more available payload than many 250/2500 diesels and your Eco with the 6 spd will out pull the stock gas power plants in any HD truck and your annual fuel bills will probably be 30 to 40 % less.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #17

"Your F150 will have more available payload than many 250/2500 diesels and your Eco with the 6 spd will out pull the stock gas power plants in any HD truck and your annual fuel bills will probably be 30 to 40 % less."

I think this is a little stretched...
Old 12-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:

HI, I can add some real world numbers to the discussion. I have a 2012 F150 SuperCab LB with Ecoboost and the HD/Max Tow Package; RV is a 2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS. The Payload Sticker on the driver's door states the payload to be #2340; which almost matches what the CAT scale returned. I've CAT Scaled weighed the rig(TV & RV); and while I dont have the exact numbers; I do know that I was 600+ lbs to the good on Front/Rear axle & TV GVW. I've had no issues with the F150 w/Ecoboost pulling the RV.

But the numbers only works for me for the following reasons:
1. 2015 Jayco - not 2016 - Jayco added close to 300lbs overall to the same model
2. Only a solo traveler
3. A light packer - I really dont need to a lot stuff to be contented; that may change in the future
4. Longest trip was only 4 days this year; so see #3

I'm more than pleased with this TV/RV combo; but I do have my doubts that a max-out F150 pulling a Jayco FW will work for a family; I suspect the weight #'s to be at or above the ratings #s. The newer F150's, with the additional payload capacity should work for a couple.

Hope this helps

Matt
Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #19

Most of the 1500s have engines with comparable or higher torque and HP ratings than the gas engines offered in 2500/3500 trucks. The difference is that that HD engines are not designed for maximum output; they are designed for durability and will perform under heavy loads everyday instead of just on weekends like the 1500s.

Payload is another story, but he is right, a 2500 with a diesel is going to have a payload around or under 2500#. Just like with the engine, that is not the whole story, but the newer 1500s are quite capable if you are occasionally towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
"Your F150 will have more available payload than many 250/2500 diesels and your Eco with the 6 spd will out pull the stock gas power plants in any HD truck and your annual fuel bills will probably be 30 to 40 % less."

I think this is a little stretched...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #20

Sorry, I didn't see the 2500/250 with diesel. I have a 2015 F250 with gas and my payload is #3100 - that is what I was basing that statement from. I guess the diesels have lower payload rating because of the extra weight of the engine?

yes, from 2015 to 2016 the Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS had a #300 increase on the pin weight - going from #1260 to #1525. That pretty much forced my hand from my 150 to the 250. My 150 payload (non max payload) was #1840. There was no wiggle room for firewood, or any other weight. Plus the fact that we all know the true pin weights are not correct...

Tags
eagle ht, f-150, f150, half ton