Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Eagle quality

We had an Eagle HT 29.5bhds. It was a big unit but the floor creaked bad and the water pump was very loud and had bad water hammering when in use. Overall, felt like a budget unit.

A little over a year ago we bought a Grand Design 350M toyhauler. Like most toyhaulers, quality is top notch but so is the price. We love our unit and it feels great in use.

However, with a growing family, I'm starting to see the need for the bunkhousr more and more. Our toyhauler has the bunks in the garage but no table unless the bottom bunk is converted and I hate switching then out every day.

I'm seriously looking at an Eagle or maybe even the Northpoint midbunk. Kind of liking the Northpoint because the genset is one of the reasons we went toyhauler in the first place.

Anyway, is the quality much better than the Eagle HT I had? Water pumps quiet? Solid, quiet floor? I really wish hydro leveling was an option though.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:39 AM   #2

We just traded an Eagle and were very happy with it. As with most units there were a few minor things to take care of initially, but overall a very solid unit. We did have one spot where the floor creaked a bit, but that was right in front of the bedroom closet and it didn't bother us as we weren't up there much anyway.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:53 AM   #3

I can’t tell you anything about a Eagle HT but have owned 3 Eagles. I owned a 2009 then traded for 2011 and now 2018. Each year improvements were made to each over the prior unit owned. Now on 2018 we love it. Insulation is outstanding ordered the better windows really holds the temp well. Will get temp 20 degrees under outside temp and holds. We put a residential mattress on the bed (the only way to go). No squeaks in the floor unlike the 2011 and 2009. Our only complaint is placement of smoke alarm over range (we just remove battery while cooking). We did get an observation camera from www. tadibrothers.com. What a nice unit for seeing what is behind you not only for backup but for driving down the road I ordered the 9” monitor it’s like not having a trailer behind you and looking in the rear view mirror but with a TV screen. One key opens everything on the unit is very nice as well. Auto level is so nice one button does it all. Led lights are outstanding. hidden batteries areas hold 3 under unit and two upfront.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #4

Definitely better quality on Eagle verses Eagle HT. The HT's look and feel low grade when you walk through them. I'm guessing they are an entry level unit as they sure feel that way. We went with the Eagle. The higher grades were just too big for our needs.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

I had a 2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS that I had several issues with, some major many minor. Fit and finish issues on the minor scale. Traded it in on a 2017 Eagle 5er and it feels more solid. Perhaps the new HT models have improved but I was very disappointed in the HT.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

The Eagle HT's are light. And, yes, they feel that way. Water pump is screwed to floor right under shower so in bathroom it is noisy unless you insulate it.

If you want a heavier duty unit then get something heavier.

From other folks in here and in other brand forums there is a quality issue with just about any brand.

Our HT has had a few. Mostly little things like water fittings not screwed on properly or a leak in a water fitting. Some sealant missing on a shower door panel.

PS ours has been 'abused' for the past 8 months since we are full time in it
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

I own a North Point 377 which is the mid bunk model. It has been a great unit with few issues.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Looks like it may be worth checking some out at dealers.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #9

Have a 2017 HT 28.5 RSTS Purchased it last year. No major complaints so far. In my opinion it's sturdy but I can't compare it to a regular Eagle since I never looked at them up close. Some of the finish work could have been a little better. Crooked shades. The kitchen bump out is not as flush as it should be. My biggest complaint is that I wish it slept more people and wish the refrigerator was bigger.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
richie t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

My 2017 29.5 BHDS has been completely problem free. We went with an HT because we needed something just short enough to pull a boat behind it and still get decent sites at state parks, so a 35 footer is perfect for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #11

Really, we had no problems per se with out HT either. In fact, every thing looked good and worked fine. The floor creaked badly though and the water pump was super loud. Moving at night or using the water at night would wake the kid. Dealer said it was how they were.

My GD toyhauler, on the other hand, is quiet and sturdy as can be. Sure there are obvious differences in quality of materials but that's a direct connection to the price too. On the other hand, in the first year, it's been to the dealer for various warranty work 4 times. Now there are a few other issues popping up. Not saying it or GD are bad. Just typical poor RV craftsmanship. We were lucky we had none of these issues with out HT.

Today, I found a Eagle 355mbqs at a small dealer nearby. They were closed, and it was locked, but the wife and I plan to go back and see it this week. I'm still leaning towards the Northpoint if we go this route but at least we can get hands-on with the layout. And maybe jump around at various parts of the floor. Lol.

Also there was a 29.5 BHDS, not sure if 17 or 18, sitting on the lot that was unlocked. I went inside it and it's floor didn't make near as much noise as mine did but I could hear it. I imagine it would sound louder at 3 AM when tip toeing around too. I'm guessing part of the light weight build is thinner plywood in the flooring.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
I can’t tell you anything about a Eagle HT but have owned 3 Eagles. I owned a 2009 then traded for 2011 and now 2018. Each year improvements were made to each over the prior unit owned. Now on 2018 we love it. Insulation is outstanding ordered the better windows really holds the temp well. Will get temp 20 degrees under outside temp and holds. We put a residential mattress on the bed (the only way to go). No squeaks in the floor unlike the 2011 and 2009. Our only complaint is placement of smoke alarm over range (we just remove battery while cooking). We did get an observation camera from www. tadibrothers.com. What a nice unit for seeing what is behind you not only for backup but for driving down the road I ordered the 9” monitor it’s like not having a trailer behind you and looking in the rear view mirror but with a TV screen. One key opens everything on the unit is very nice as well. Auto level is so nice one button does it all. Led lights are outstanding. hidden batteries areas hold 3 under unit and two upfront.
I am actually going to look at a 2018 Eagle HT tomorrow that I put a deposit down sight unseen. I did see through the research that I was doing this rig is prewired for a backup camera. I know Jayco recommends a furrion camera but I purchased a voyager camera and not sure now if this will plug directly into thr harness already on the trailer. How did you go about using a camera other then a furrion on your trailer??
smokinem14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

Eagle

We have a 16 Eagle 321RSTS love the floor plan.We to had a 06 Toy hauler no more toys.I can tell you we are in our 21 month of the Eagle.Going in for more warranty work.I figure they give you a two year warranty,because that's how long it takes to fix everything! Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Bufflo.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #14

The 'wiring' for the rear camera is simply a power wire that you access through the top center clearance light. It is not a 'harness' or even a 'plug', just a power wire.

You will have to drill a hole in the back wall of the trailer (instructions show you where). Then splice to that wire and the ground with your camera power leads. Fish the leads through the new hole to your camera.

Not really a 'plug and play' like they imply in their advertising.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

We were grazing at our local dealership yesterday; Cougar, Montana, New Jayco dealer, and the salesman said they have had more Jayco warranty work since they got Jayco in last December. Not sure he is really spot on but that was his take. Still looking hard at the 29rkds.
msubobcatsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 AM   #16

Dealership where I was supposed to pick-up our new Eagle told me that since Thor took over they have more issues than any other mfg. Obviously he told me this after I rufused to purchase the camper, but he also said that the Jayco's take the most amount of prep also, he said from the factory there is always a bunch of stuff messed up.
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinem14 View Post
I am actually going to look at a 2018 Eagle HT tomorrow that I put a deposit down sight unseen. I did see through the research that I was doing this rig is prewired for a backup camera. I know Jayco recommends a furrion camera but I purchased a voyager camera and not sure now if this will plug directly into thr harness already on the trailer. How did you go about using a camera other then a furrion on your trailer??
I didn't use the prewire because it only works while the trailer driving light are on. In side where the hole was drilled are a bunch of wires. I used the Digital Multimeter to locate the correct wire that way the camera can be used while were in a RV park without the truck being connected.

We were in a heavy rain storm the camera that I bought has a sun protector and protects most light rain as well but this was a big storm I pulled in a gas station for gas and used my rain-x that I used on the TT windows and used on the camera lens (camera that I have is heavy duty industrial https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera) got back on the road and wow same rain storm and now no more rain on the lens. I could see as if we weren't in a rain storm at all.

The camera mount in rear of 330RSTR (40 feet of TT, 18 feet to trucks dash) that is 68 feet to the monitor. While I'm parked I get 5 bars once I start moving it drops to 4 bars but have never lost signal.

Love the Military Grade Night Vision in total darkness we see behind us 75 feet we love watching the wildlife. It looks like its daylight but in black and white. We went with the 9" monitor so glad we did.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
tld

I have the 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS which is 31 feet from cap to rear bumper and an unloaded weight of just under 8000 lbs. The gross rating is right at 10,000 and I'm sure I'm at every bit of that plus some! I pull it with a 3/4 ton Ford diesel and average 14 miles to the gallon when towing and that is one really good reason that I really like the HT. And going through the mountains is a breeze with the diesel and the HT. I've been in a number of regular Eagles and can't tell much difference in build quality between them and the HT. I've pulled mine over 11,000 miles in just under two years with no construction, build or mechanical issues so far - knock-on-wood! I have to say that with 3 slides, the HT provide plenty of roomy comfort for my wife and me, is easy to pull and park, and we get great gas mileage.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote