Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Electric entry door lock issues

I have a 2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
The electric door locks will not work or fail to have sufficient power to lock or unlock the door ONLY when I travel to the south east. As soon as I reach Houston (traveling from California) ending up in Pensacola and the humidity kicks in, the electric door lock, quits completely or once in a while goes crazy with the lock rapidly locking and unlocking til I can pull the keypad and disconnect the wires. As soon as we get to central Texas on the way home and the humidity ceases, the keypad and locks work fine. Three years now this has happened each trip.
Dealer can find nothing wrong and put a bunch of silicone around the keypad, squirted water on it and said it's fixed. Two times now I have dragged it in and told them it only happens in humidity areas.
If anyone has had similar issues please let me know what the cure might be.
I know I know......the simple solution would be to stay out of Florida in July!
Chevgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I had the same issue (I live in Florida). After multiple attempts to correct the issue (lock company support), I removed the electronic lock and put in a regular non-electronic type. No problems, DW is happy.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #3

A similar (but different) story, I had an electronic lock on a small safe. After about 7 years it wouldn't unlock. You could hear the mechanism operate when it was given the correct code but apparently the connecting links had failed.

The surprising thing was how easy it was for my welder to bust it open, using only a sawz-all on its bottom-side. I now only purchase items with solid mechanical locks.

I hear it from my in-laws all the time, it's not the heat ...
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

We have a 2016 Precept 31U and have had the electric door lock "adjusted" by the dealer and another independent RV shop. With the same results, while locked if you pull on the handle the door will open about 1/4" to 3/8" exposing the locking bolt and providing easy access for a pry bar etc. My question is there an "old style" two key manual lock that we can swap out for the improved version??
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
We have a 2016 Precept 31U and have had the electric door lock "adjusted" by the dealer and another independent RV shop. With the same results, while locked if you pull on the handle the door will open about 1/4" to 3/8" exposing the locking bolt and providing easy access for a pry bar etc. My question is there an "old style" two key manual lock that we can swap out for the improved version??
You likely have a Bauer EM on your unit now, Bauer does make a FMVSS206-approved (required on motorized units) key only lockset, here is a link to it on the Bauer website: BP-12RV | Bauer Products

However I think the cutouts are different, so it may require some additional work to fit in your door. You might try calling Bauer, if that is indeed what lockset you have now, to see if they can help with a new selection. Through personal experience I can tell you they are very willing to help.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

I took mine apart yesterday due to the new batteries not working and found the power plug corroded to point that the solder came off. Rendering it useless on the power function. I just use the keys without and issue.

Inside there is a small plastic solenoid switch that if the tumbler is not striking it correctly will not allow the actuator to work. Double sided tape is all that holds this in place.

As for the key pad, when I washed my unit it would go nuts with water on it due to it being a touch pad.

I just gutted the solenoid and power from it as we hardly used it based on lack of trust. You will not allow any water in by simply gutting the power side functions if it is the Bauer system. Or you can replace on Ebay for $175.00.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

I contacted Bauer as advised about our 2016 Precept door lock issues and they will be sending me a "new improved" unit which is supposed to stop the "door ajar" while locked issues we have had. Thanks to all......
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
I contacted Bauer as advised about our 2016 Precept door lock issues and they will be sending me a "new improved" unit which is supposed to stop the "door ajar" while locked issues we have had. Thanks to all......
Let us know how it works out. Glad they are stepping up!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote