Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Electrical Panel in 2012 Superlite 305RLS

I've been pestering Jayco with questions ever since I was considering purchasing one and lately more questions since I've ordered one. I don't want to wear out my welcome with them so I'm looking to the forum for information.

My question, I'm planning some upgrades when I get the unit and one question I have to people with a Superlite 305 RLS is if there are any empty spots to add circuit breakers in the fuse panel?

Thanks

P.S. I hope Jayco is as responsive once I've get my unit as they have been so far ..... I'm impressed with their quick responses.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #2

I don't know about that specific camper, but generally I see spare 12 volt fuses but rarely spare breakers. I doubt you will get a very specific answer from Jayco. They are a little shy when it comes to supporting mods - and I can understand that.

Curious what you are wanting to add? Maybe there are other ideas that can help.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

One thing you might check with your panel. There is two sizes of circuit breakers - A full width size and a half width size. I wouldnt change the MAIN 30AMP Full Size Breaker but any of the other installed breakers that are full width sizes you should be able to remove that one and replace it wil two half-width size breakers in the same slot. They just snap into place once you remove the fron panel. Just be sure to get the same brand that is used. LOWES electrical department has all the major brands of circuit breakers in both full width and half width sizes.

My Power Distribution Panel (WD8900 series) has five full width circuit breaker slots in it...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #4

One of the mods I want to do is to add two electrical power bars. One near the stove / counter area (on the wall) and one on the side of the table. Want them on a separate circuits so we can use kettle at the same time as the toaster, or have a heater plugged in and make a cup of coffee, etc.

cheers and have a great day
Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Do you know if your new trailer has 30 amp or 50 amp service? Of course, those are the limits to the overall power available to use in your trailer.

With the 30 amp service in ours, I find that often have to shed load - like turn the refrigerator to propane or to turn the water heater to propane - to allow the use of another high consumption item.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #6

I am on my 3 fw, and never seen one with space for another breaker, they just don't do it, .
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
I am on my 3 fw, and never seen one with space for another breaker, they just don't do it, .
It's going to vary from RV to RV. The 2011 330RLTS (yes, I know it's a TT) has one empty space that can hold a double half pole breaker module and a single pole breaker that can be replaced with a double half pole breaker module. Some brands of panels can accept single half pole breakers but, since Jayco use the double half pole breaker modules, I suspect that is all that is available for them.

This is an example of a single pole breaker:

This is an example of a double half pole breaker module:

Both half poles can be either 15A or 20A only or a combination of a 15A and a 20A breaker. If your panel has an empty slot, you can add up to two circuits in that slot. If none of the slots are empty but you have at least one single pole breaker, by replacing the single pole breaker with a double half pole breaker module which will give you one additional circuit for each single pole you replace.

There is also a possibility your RV will have an unused circuit you could steal from. For example, if it is wired for two A/Cs and you have only one, you could disconnect the wiring for the unused A/C location from the breaker (I would just cap off the wire and tuck it to one side instead of cutting it off in case you ever decide to add the second A/C or sell the RV) and use that breaker for your new circuit.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #8

Everyone, thanks very much for all this information.

Looks like one way or another I will be able to add one or two additional circuits once the new fifth wheel arrives. Now I'll be able to make my coffee, burn my toast, and watch the morning news all at the same time.

cheers and have a great day.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

Definitely let us know how it goes with your new 5'er. When do you take delivery? Where do plan to go for the maiden voyage?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #10

Thumbs up

This might help.

There is no room to add another breaker in my 2011 30.5 RLS.
Here are a few photos of the stock arrangement

and here is a link for the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 Power Center.

Link to PD4045
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
This might help.

There is no room to add another breaker in my 2011 30.5 RLS.
Here are a few photos of the stock arrangement

and here is a link for the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 Power Center.

Link to PD4045

Jamoke, thanks for the photos of an actual Jayco Power center face plate. I was optimistic I could add a couple of circuits, but going by the photos it would appear they already have the dual breakers installed. Guess I'm out of luck. Thanks for all who responded.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwaon View Post
Jamoke, thanks for the photos of an actual Jayco Power center face plate. I was optimistic I could add a couple of circuits, but going by the photos it would appear they already have the dual breakers installed. Guess I'm out of luck. Thanks for all who responded.

Actually, you may still be able to add circuits although it will require a bit of creativity. First, see if you can find a place to put in a 120v 30A branch panel (240v could be used if that is all you can find), preferably close to the original panel. You will also need to have easy access to the panel. It will need to have only two slots to accomodate up to three new circuits if you use half pole breakers. Also make sure you can feed directly to the breaker buss bar(s) instead of through a breaker).

If you are able to find a place for the new panel, replace the existing 30/15A breaker with a 30/30A breaker. Route the original 15A circuit that was connected to the original 30/15A breaker to a 15A breaker in the new panel. If the wire will not reach the new panel without splicing, see if another circuit on the original panel will reach the new panel. If so, just swap them out. If none of them will reach, you will have to install a small junction box (a shallow outlet box will work; just use a solid cover on it) near the original panel and use it to splice a longer length of wire to the shorter one.

Wire a cable from the new 30A half pole breaker in the original panel to the new panel and connect it to the incoming lugs in the new panel. If the panel is designed for 240v, inside the panel, splice the hot lead on the new 30A cable feeding into the new panel to two shorter leads and and connect those two leads to the lot lugs in the panel (putting more than one wire in a circuit breaker or other lug is considered to be a no no in most codes). Add breakers as needed to accommodate your new circuits.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Actually, you may still be able to add circuits although it will require a bit of creativity. First, see if you can find a place to put in a 120v 30A branch panel (240v could be used if that is all you can find), preferably close to the original panel. You will also need to have easy access to the panel. It will need to have only two slots to accomodate up to three new circuits if you use half pole breakers. Also make sure you can feed directly to the breaker buss bar(s) instead of through a breaker).

If you are able to find a place for the new panel, replace the existing 30/15A breaker with a 30/30A breaker. Route the original 15A circuit that was connected to the original 30/15A breaker to a 15A breaker in the new panel. If the wire will not reach the new panel without splicing, see if another circuit on the original panel will reach the new panel. If so, just swap them out. If none of them will reach, you will have to install a small junction box (a shallow outlet box will work; just use a solid cover on it) near the original panel and use it to splice a longer length of wire to the shorter one.

Wire a cable from the new 30A half pole breaker in the original panel to the new panel and connect it to the incoming lugs in the new panel. If the panel is designed for 240v, inside the panel, splice the hot lead on the new 30A cable feeding into the new panel to two shorter leads and and connect those two leads to the lot lugs in the panel (putting more than one wire in a circuit breaker or other lug is considered to be a no no in most codes). Add breakers as needed to accommodate your new circuits.
LF thanks for the suggestion, it looks like that is a good solution as there appears to be no spare spots. Will wait till it arrives and see what's what.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Definitely let us know how it goes with your new 5'er. When do you take delivery? Where do plan to go for the maiden voyage?
The fiver is scheduled for the first week of March, and I suspect our first trip will be into Algonquin Park (Ontario) in May,.......... just in time to feed the black flies.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #15

I have two IOTA distribution panels, a 12v and a 120v/50A. They don't have any labeling and never did. Had Dealer contact Jayco and he was informed that there is none. They suggested pulling fuses and triping breakers to map it out. IOTA discontinued the panel and I'm missing a cover. So I contacted them directly after exhausting all other avenues. They referred me to a distributer who laughed. Lovely. Moral of the story is: If you need a replacement panel to get your needed slot, steer clear of IOTA. I hope Jayco is...

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
2010 F250SD PSD SRW CC SB
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote