Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I've got an '09 Recon. I've got 3 brand new batteries on it. When I'm not plugged in and I'm just on battery power, if I have several lights on everything just shuts off briefly then comes back on. This continues to happen. I hear a clicking sound coming from the main power disconnect switch.

Anyone else hear of anything similar to this?

Thanks
Starbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Don’t have a Recon, but it sounds like you might have an inline circuit breaker at the converter panel (possibly at the battery bank), and it is tripping and self resetting. If that is the case it sounds like you may have a short somewhere and it is tripping to protect your Recon. If the issue started as soon as you installed the new batteries, the first thing I would look at, are the new batteries connected correctly, there is a good chance you have your polarities backwards.

How often is it doing this? If it is continuous you have a fairly serious issue that needs to be checked out. Until you have the issue resolved I would disconnect the batteries and the shore power, to protect from having a potential fire. You will need to connect it up to power to diagnose the issue, just do not leave with the power hooked up until it is resolved. If it is only happening periodically you may want to pay attention to what is one and what loads are on the full system or the one single circuit that is tripping.

One last thought, circuit breakers get weak over time, so it could just be a bad circuit breaker.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote