Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Entertainment system

Can you use the DVD player to watch a movie in the bedroom area of the camper? The only signal we are getting in the bedroom is from the antenna.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

At the risk of sound like a an a-hole...No. But I'm only guessing...DVD players usually hook directly to one TV and don't allow dual split feeds. There are external ways to do it though. My guess it that if you only have the coax feed to your bedroom TV, it's feeding the antenna/cable signal only. A DVD will usually be on a seperate non-coax cable input to the TV. However, there are certainly ways to feed both with cables and switches...
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Besides the coax there is also the red,white,yellow AV hookup. I have it hooked up to the tv but cant figure out what it is for.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #4

I would assume the stock radio/DVD player that came with your camper would only play DVD's on the TV located in the vicinity of the system which would be the living room/kitchen areas.

Our 26RLS only came with a TV in the living room with the DVD/radio mounted directly below it. Our bedroom has the spot to mount a TV and that's what we did. I purchased a TV with a built in DVD player for the bedroom.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #5

I'm having the same issue. I have a 2012 x23j and can't for tbe life of me get the DVD player to play on the TV.
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Hi Inspired..... Guess we could use a bit more detail... What kind of DVD player, what kind of Television, how are they connected? Then we can figure out what buttons you need to mash to make it work!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjp View Post
Besides the coax there is also the red,white,yellow AV hookup. I have it hooked up to the tv but cant figure out what it is for.
Rick,
That red, white, and yellow cable is a composite video connection cable...most likely coming from the DVD player. To work with the TV, it must be pluged into a AV INPUT on the TV. Your TV should have input plugs and probably output plugs also...they should be identified with engraved letterring on the TV...for example "AUX AV INPUT". Once you make sure its hooked to an INPUT (output won't work here), then you must find how to select that input on the TV remote. The other end of the cable must be plugged to the DVD player "OUTPUT". OH and it is important to match the cable plug colors to the port color you are plugging into...yeah, probably a no-brainer. Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBMX View Post
I'm having the same issue. I have a 2012 x23j and can't for tbe life of me get the DVD player to play on the TV.
Did you select the DVD input on the TV remote? The TV will only display signals that you select. For example; TVs usually default to the antenna and/or cable-TV signals that are from the black coax cable. To play any other AV device that is plugged into the TV, you must select that particular input. Sorry to insult if you already knew that.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

I just purchased a 2013 Eagle Premier and discovered that the DVD player was not compatible with the TV. The DVD player was 2002 technology and the TV was 2012. There was no combination of the cables that that I could find that would allow the DVD player to transmit to the TV. I'm having the dealer look at it so I'll let you know what they say.
Olbahjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #10

Wow! that's strange. I have a 2013 Eagle Premier and mine works perfect. Keep us updated .
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

I think your easiest way out is just go to WALMART and get a $25 stand alone DVD player for the bedroom and hook up to an available video input on the TV. Thats what we did... Oh the cheap $25 DVD player outlasted the built-in DVD on our big trailer which went south on us about after one year of use. So I have portable DVD players now at both locations - both still going strong...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

The AV connection at the bedroom TV ends up in the washer-dryer closet with another set of AV terinals.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

Dealer told me that they had to rewire the entertainment center. They say it works now, so I'll find out for sure when I pick it up tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #14

Finally got my 5er back from the dealer. They said they had to rewire the player so the speakers worked correctly and so the DVD player would work with the TV. The only problem now is that, when watching the TV only, the sound does not go through the ceiling speakers - only the TV's speakers. When watching a DVD, the ceiling speakers work. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #15

That the way mine works on my 2013
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbahjr View Post
Finally got my 5er back from the dealer. They said they had to rewire the player so the speakers worked correctly and so the DVD player would work with the TV. The only problem now is that, when watching the TV only, the sound does not go through the ceiling speakers - only the TV's speakers. When watching a DVD, the ceiling speakers work. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
The "correct" method is a matter of personal taste. The dealer has simply disconnected (or didn't hook up) the "audio out" from the HDTV to the to the Entertainment System...probably because they get too many questions / complaints from users who don't know how to - or don't like to turn on the Entertainment System and select an "input" option just to hear the audio from the HDTV

Personally - I like my HDTV and DVD audio to come through the Entertainment System.....I don't mind the extra step it takes to switch between HDTV and DVD when necessary.....the improved sound quality from the Entertainment System Speakers is worth it.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

if you have the round yellow red white wires connected to the tv then yes it will work in the bedroom it will also connect to a TV outside if you have a set of connections in the basement storage compartment. I have a 2010 designer and use all these connections . Cable or antenna or satellite uses the coax cables in mine and DVD uses the RCA cables Y>R>W mentioned before but are accessed on input video 1 on my TV's .The remote has a input button to select this or it's in the TV menu .My 10 designer also has video input connections in the storage area that could be used to input a video from another source like another DVD or a camera from outside so I can't believe a newer trailer wouldn't have at least the equlivent.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote