Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Extra #751 Keys

I took all over the #751 keyed locks off of my 5'er yesterday and had them re-keyed. I thought about doing this last year, but just never did it.

Now if anyone wants to get into my storage areas, they will have to use a pry bar and damage my 5'er.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

I have thought about doing that too. Just five locks and I would have everything covered.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

It's not the people with 751 keys you have to worry about.

In 13 years of RVing across the USA and Canada, I've yet to have anything stolen.

I usually leave the hatches unlocked in campgrounds. The value of the items is less than the cost of repair from a break-in.

Your mileage may vary....
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #4

5 locks covered all of mine too.

I would agree that a break in would do more damage, but I just can't leave things unlocked or available to anyone with a 751 key. I just can't do it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Site Team

On my rig the hatches have only one lock on one side. Anyone wanting in can just twist the other side latch and jerk the door open. I have never been anywhere where I felt that un- secure. If I did, I would move.

Many years of camping, I have never had anything go missing , even stuff just sitting out.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #6

2 years ago, we dropped our camper off at a BLM campground (no camp host)overnight because my wife had to work that day and could not go camping until her day was done because of meetings.
I dropped off the camper Thursday night, opened slides and locked it up.
We arrived back at the campsite Friday night and when we pulled in, we saw our dishes laying on the ground outside and porch light was on.
My wife ran out of our truck and tried to go in the camper. I yelled at her to stay back, I pulled out my 9mm I carry and approached the trailer. Did not hear any movement or people inside, told my wife to call the sheriff while I secured the perimeter and not to disturb anything.
Took the sheriff 1 hour to arrive to get report for insurance.
Some punks threw a rock through the trailer door window, opened up the door and ripped off our beer, bacon, cheese, Popsicles, candy, a handheld ham radio, flat-screen TV we just bought.
They threw eggs all over the interior, ripped off a wardrobe door, rifled through my wifes underwear and clothes and threw them everywhere.
There was a big hole in the entertainment center wall where the rock they threw went through.
Upon inspecting that night, I had 3 holes in the front cap that the punks probably threw rocks at to see if anyone was inside.
They trashed my almost new trailer and ruined our weekend. I had to tape up holes, tape cardboard in the broken window and drag the trailer home in the rain.
Never caught the scum bags and really did not expect them to.

THE POSITIVE SIDE:
The next day we took our RV to the dealership and the sheriff met us to take report.
Called the insurance and Geico sent us an adjuster the next day.
They wanted us to price out all that was lost. We did and filed it.
A week later they send us a check. No hassles or questions asked.
We then got the RV dealership to price out all the cleanup and damage and billed the insurance. 4500.00 bucks. No hassles or questions asked by insurance.
The dealership felt bad for us and took most of the summer to order material and parts so they gave us a loaner Keystone to go camping with.
We had the whole front cap replaced, they had to tear out the broken entertainment center wall, wardrobe door, replace valences, mattress. (Because of eggs stained them) When repairs were done, our propane was filled, tanks filled (no charge) because the dealership wanted us to get camping!

Do not leave your trailers overnight unattended unless you are in a hosted campground and even then, let the camp host know if you are going to be gone to keep an eye on things.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

Crackshot,
There's a special place reserved for people like that. Too bad they couldn't stick around long enough enjoying a few cold brews so you could show them your 9mm.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

I had my former 28.5rls Eagle Superlite "broken" into using the 751 key while it was at the storage lot I use. The perps got into the basement storage and only took my 2 Bal X Chocks, about $80 in value. I immediately had the storage bays' locks rekeyed.

Fortunately the basement storage on the Pinnacle uses a different double-sided key. But, does anyone know if this new key is common to all locks of that type on other RVs? Seems for a few dollars more RV manufactures could include personalized locks/keys for the customer.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #9

What a nightmare. Never really thought about replacing those keys but not a bad idea. We camp in Southern Missouri in a little town called Eminence. Never have worried about vandalism, nicest people you could ever hope to meet. The campground hosts are our friends and watch out for us quite well. Also, I'm not sure there are too many bad guys that go camping. At least I have never met any. I'm guessing that it was some local delinquents that vandalized Crackshots camper. Who ever it was will end up in jail at some point and deservingly so.
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Man I am sure sorry to hear about that. I firmly believe that locks will not keep a crook out. I guess what I am getting from this story is If I hear a rock hit my front cap, be real quiet and pull out the big stuff. Hard lesson. I would never leave my rig unattended in a isolated place. Sorry for the loss. You have a good dealer to thank for treating you right.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Crackshot,
There's a special place reserved for people like that. Too bad they couldn't stick around long enough enjoying a few cold brews so you could show them your 9mm.
We did just miss them. The eggs were still runny and the whites were clear.

Funny thing is, I had some pretty heavy artillery buried in the cargo hold. (guns and ammo)
I had a snub nose .38 revolver in a gym bag on one of the bunks. They never got into the bunk area.

The Sheriff's are cool with packing firearms in our state and is in our states constitution to defend property and yourself.
Open carry state and I openly carry.

I went around the camp ground asking people if they heard or saw anything but of course no one is aware of their surroundings and were just drinking beer all day so they probably were out like a light.

The Sheriff told us he would not camp there along the river and attracts undesirables. He is right. We camped there before and the dirtbags stay up until 3am having parties, acting like idiots.

My wife was pretty traumatized and felt violated (there is a creepy feeling knowing an uninvited intruder was in our personal space that we work hard for) though the whole ordeal but between the Sheriff, the RV dealership and the insurance company, I have nothing but great things to say about them.

I was really expecting a hassle from Geico but like i said, we really did nothing except get a report and wait for check.
We have our homeowners, vehicle and RV insurance through them.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote