Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Faster landing gear

Has anyone put a different motor on to speed up the landing gear. My HT 29.5 BHDS is kind of slow. It is tolerable, but if there's a motor that will speed things up I sure would like to know about it.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Once you retire, time is not as valuable!

I run mine all the way out while connected to the truck, wipe them down and spray well with white lithium grease in a spray can. I does seem to speed them up a little.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

I just turned 40, so retirement is still a few years off. I see the guys with the hydraulic systems and I get jealous. I don't need it to be that fast, but anything faster would be a definite plus. I have already done the lubricating and cleaning.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Only problem would be to increase the speed would decrease the power to lift, gear ratios is what gives you the power to lift.

On the semi truck trailers, they have a two speed gear, but I have never seen anything like that on the electric lifts

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

Ground Control 3 is fast. Not as fast as hydraulic, but way faster then regular electric
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Once you retire, time is not as valuable!

I run mine all the way out while connected to the truck, wipe them down and spray well with white lithium grease in a spray can. I does seem to speed them up a little.
Can they be over-extended?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
I just turned 40, so retirement is still a few years off. I see the guys with the hydraulic systems and I get jealous. I don't need it to be that fast, but anything faster would be a definite plus. I have already done the lubricating and cleaning.
You are talking seconds not minutes as far as any time savings between electric vs. hydraulic is concerned.

Patience.....

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

They are extremely slow on my 29.5 BHDS too.... to the point that I'd rather have a manual Crank. I have not timed it but I would bet it's close to two minutes from top of travel to bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Next time time it and let us know.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #10

My FW is getting warranty work done right now, so I can't time it. I would be willing to bet it's 30 sec per inch of travel while hooked up to power. It's so slow I can't really tell the FW is moving. The motor dosent sound like it's straining, it's just really slow. I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch so I have to do a little extra lifting when hooking up. I have seen other electric units and they seem a good bit faster. I was just wondering if there was a motor than ran at a higher rpm or something like that. A $3,000 conversation is out of the question.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Can they be over-extended?

Yes, blows a 30a fuse next to the motor. When it reaches end of travel the motor will change pitch just before the fuse blows.
I use 6x6 blocks under to reduce need to travel as much.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
My FW is getting warranty work done right now, so I can't time it. I would be willing to bet it's 30 sec per inch of travel while hooked up to power. It's so slow I can't really tell the FW is moving. The motor dosent sound like it's straining, it's just really slow. I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch so I have to do a little extra lifting when hooking up. I have seen other electric units and they seem a good bit faster. I was just wondering if there was a motor than ran at a higher rpm or something like that. A $3,000 conversation is out of the question.
That to me sounds broken. I have a 2017 29.5 BHDS and the lift / lower is great. I don't know the difference between all the systems, but it takes maybe 5-10 seconds (never actually timed it) to get it on or off the truck..

I'd have the dealer look at it..
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by datx View Post
That to me sounds broken. I have a 2017 29.5 BHDS and the lift / lower is great. I don't know the difference between all the systems, but it takes maybe 5-10 seconds (never actually timed it) to get it on or off the truck..

I'd have the dealer look at it..
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the reply and I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow. I should have a quick answer since the FW is already there. I'll report back what they say.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #14

The speed of the jacks doesn't bother me one bit. I had rather the travel be slower and the motor not dragged down in rpm to the point it would blow a breaker.

I'm thinking seriously about replacing my port side slide motor with a lower geared one. This motor is seriously struggling at times and I'm thinking a new one might be a good idea. Yes it will slow down the travel, but I'm not in that big a hurry.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the reply and I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow. I should have a quick answer since the FW is already there. I'll report back what they say.

Jeff
Great, please let us know what they say. We're living in mine right now so I can't take it to the dealer anytime soon. I may do some investigating this weekend and check some grounds and connections to the jack motor.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #16

"They are extremely slow on my 29.5 BHDS too.... to the point that I'd rather have a manual Crank. I have not timed it but I would bet it's close to two minutes from top of travel to bottom"

That is the reason I use my remote. I can be doing other things while the legs are coming down or going up.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #17

The single motor Atwood landing gear jacks Lippert puts on these trailer frames is woefully inadequate. It was the single greatest source of frustration for me with my trailer for the first three years I owned it.

I was finally able to do something about this past fall. I scrapped that jack system and replace it with the dual motor system from Ultrafab. I couldn't be happier. The jacks still aren't lightning fast, but they are noticeably faster than the originals. What's most important is that they never sound overloaded, my days of tripping the breaker while raising the trailer are over. As an added bonus, since each leg now has it's own motor, I can fine tune my leveling by raising or lowering each corner independent from the other.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...17-943010.html

ETA: My original jacks were worked on by the dealer multiple times, under warranty. The motor, the gear box, and both legs were replaced. None of that really made much of a difference. When the jacks are inadequate for the job, there isn't any level of service or maintenance that will make them better.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #18

Faster landing gear

Thank you for the info- definitely sounds like an undersized oem motor. I'll have to save up for the better setup.

Being able to control each leg individually is worth it to me.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #19

I spoke with the dealer and they said it was just the way these jacks are set up. I don't have a remote for my jacks, but I do have two kids that do just fine. I can usually pull into a campsite and be fully set up in around 15 min. I tell my self, "no beer until set up" so the extra time the jacks/landing gear take is detrimental to my health I'll give Etrailer a call and see what they have to say. Until then, happy camping.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #20

My jacks are slow on our 26.5 bhs and I have looked and cannot see where to attach the handle to manually work the jacks and cannot find it in the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk