Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

FBTS water tank overflow hose

Ok dry camping on my property and am filling tank from my river with a pump. This is the first time I have topped the tank off. By the low point drain valve by right rear tire is what I assume is the fresh tank vent over flow. So kept filling tank and waited and water started coming out around that hose but nothing ever came out of the Hose. So now there is either another hose just on top of the bottom covering that is not sticking out or the hose was never connected. Do I have a problem?
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

It could be a couple of things.
First the overflow vent tube does NOT have a valve on it (unless you put one on yourself...as many here do). The overflow/vent tube is just a tube than hangs down. You may be describing the drain for your FW tank, which does have a valve and Jayco often marks this as a low point drain on the side of the trailer.

Second: You may well have an overflow tube that the factory did not daylight. I had the very same problem with my trailer when I first got it. Started filling it up and water started seeping out between the belly cover and the I-beam frame in several places. They did not cut a hole and pull the overflow tube down below the coroplast belly cover. Easy to fix, but wasn't happy about having to drop and dry the belly cover.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #3

Rock- I'm sure you have seen that access panel in the under belly of our units- behind the axels. If you take that off you can look thru a hole in one of the cross-members and see part of the fresh water tank and some of the hose connections. It's not a great view but it may give you some insight into what goes where. I have never filled ours to the top so I don't know where the overflow is supposed to drain from. Also, ours goes to a local weld shop Friday to get an estimate for repairing/adding supports under the big slide.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

Found my problem. Besides the white drain hose there is a black flat rubber tube like a bike tire. That was pinched closed. Both tanks must have a separate vent. Why different I do not know unless the flat rubber one restricts the first tank from venting until the second one is full.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

First tank, second tank??? Wutchu talkin bout Willis??
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
It could be a couple of things.
First the overflow vent tube does NOT have a valve on it (unless you put one on yourself...as many here do). The overflow/vent tube is just a tube than hangs down. You may be describing the drain for your FW tank, which does have a valve and Jayco often marks this as a low point drain on the side of the trailer.

Second: You may well have an overflow tube that the factory did not daylight. I had the very same problem with my trailer when I first got it. Started filling it up and water started seeping out between the belly cover and the I-beam frame in several places. They did not cut a hole and pull the overflow tube down below the coroplast belly cover. Easy to fix, but wasn't happy about having to drop and dry the belly cover.
Is it safe to put a valve on the overflow vent tube? I would love to if it is. I normally fill my tank full until water comes out of the overflow tube, however by the time I get to camp it seems as though 1/4 of the tank has emptied during the drive from sloshing around. Would like to keep that water in the tank if I can, just curious as to whether or not a valve on the overflow would force the water try and come out somewhere else that could cause damage.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
Is it safe to put a valve on the overflow vent tube? I would love to if it is. I normally fill my tank full until water comes out of the overflow tube, however by the time I get to camp it seems as though 1/4 of the tank has emptied during the drive from sloshing around. Would like to keep that water in the tank if I can, just curious as to whether or not a valve on the overflow would force the water try and come out somewhere else that could cause damage.
You MUST have the valve open when filling and when you set up at your campsite (so air can get in as you draw water out). It should only be shut when you are done filling and while you are travelling.

If you don't open the valves when filling, the force of water going in may cause your FW tank(s) to bulge or cause leaks at fittings due to added pressure.

If you don't open the valves when at the campsite, after a time, you may not be able to draw water because air cannot get into the tanks as water is drawn out.

This isn't a big deal, just make a habit of doing it and you'll be fine.
As to whether this would void your warranty? Possibly.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote