Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel Covers

I am wondering what type of cover would be a good choice here in Florida. With the extreme heat and rainy season coming upon us just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what cover works best.

Because we do not camp much once the heat is on, I would like to cover my RV and then open it up towards the fall. Our season here is a bit different than the folks up north, that close down in the winter but i start our camping season in the fall and goes until about May.
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

We hope the rainy season starts soon here in Florida.

Are you in West Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
We hope the rainy season starts soon here in Florida.

Are you in West Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Larry Mac we are in Sun City Center, east of St. Pete inland. Thought we would get some rain today and nothing here but it's raining cats and dogs everywhere north and south of us.

I am thinking that the covers for the 5ver would help keep the green stuff off the Rv while its sitting, plus save the decals a little longer. Just looking for the right one for our climate.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

If its feasible get a metal carport to park it under, thats what i did. From what I've read the covers can cause some damage over time, plus you dont have to take it on and off each time. Mine is wide enough to extend the slides plus i have a 50 amp service to it so that i can turn on ac while getting it ready to go.
Earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmover View Post
If its feasible get a metal carport to park it under, thats what i did. From what I've read the covers can cause some damage over time, plus you dont have to take it on and off each time. Mine is wide enough to extend the slides plus i have a 50 amp service to it so that i can turn on ac while getting it ready to go.
X2 I live in NE Florida. No matter how much I paid to get the best cover, The best they would last is about 2 years. Also forget about trying to get coverage on a longer warranty. There is always some reason not to cover it.
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

x3 on the carport cover. I am in Lakeland - not far from Sun City Center... I had mine installed 2 months ago - it was only $3800, but will last for years!

It's nice to get unit out of the sun (which is 90% of the time in FL), saves on UV rays, while keeping the unit cooler.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
x3 on the carport cover. I am in Lakeland - not far from Sun City Center... I had mine installed 2 months ago - it was only $3800, but will last for years!

It's nice to get unit out of the sun (which is 90% of the time in FL), saves on UV rays, while keeping the unit cooler.
It would be nice to be able to do the carport cover but one must have a place to put it. Unfortunately HOA's prohibit anyform of carport if I even had the room for it.
So, this means I need to cover the RV or have a brand new fifth wheel looking like its 10 years old in about 3 years from now. My striping on my old fifth only lasted 2 years after I moved here before it cracked badly. I even attempted to strip off the stripe decal to put a new one on. I did one and gave up on that idea, took me best part of a week to strip one stripe. Also the awning I put on last April looked like I had had it for 9yrs instead of 1 year. Mold on it was unbelievable.
Anyway, I am still thinking of putting on a cover for the times we are not going anywhere for several months. Just wondering what others have put on and the brand so I can make a better choice. If the make or brand doesn't matter then I'll just get whatever is cheapest and toss it out in 2 years.
Thanks for all the comments, appreciate it!
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
Old 05-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #8

Again, I pose the question. What brand of cover have you used for your RV? There are several types and brands available and I wonder with the Florida sun and wet conditions (mold+mildew) is there one type better than another? I'm not concerned that it will only last two years or maybe 3, but the fact is my awning fabric and decals will be better for having one, at least that is my hope.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

Go to Camping World. They have the biggest selection. The more you pay will get you a lighter, easer to handle cover. The Florida sun will eat any of them up. The top is where the covers go bad. They start tearing and splitting. I thought about putting a cheap tarp that would cover the top after putting the fitted cover on - Cover to protect the camper, tarp to protect cover. Never did try it. Broke down and got a carport.
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote