Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Fifth wheel nearly lifted tires off the ground on one side while auto leveling

Unfortunately where I park at home is quite sloped so the auto level just about lifted the tires off the leveling blocks on one side. I plan on taking some railroad ties and rebars and line them up on the downward slope to get that side up. Is it ok to leave it this way for a few days until I get the time on the weekend to take care of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #2

While it's not ideal and in a perfect world all of our sites would be level. That's the point of the levelling system and it is designed to support the coach. It will be fine.

Mine has never lifted the wheels completely off the ground but if you think about it the system must unload one side of the coach or the other to level it laterally. It simply can't work any other way. It doesn't know wheter the wheels are off the ground or not.

EDIT:

I did just read lipperts online manual and they do caution against lifting the entire coach off the ground and to not use the system to change tires and what not. Obviously they don't want the liability of someone lifting the thing skyhigh or having the coach fall with the wheels off whether the system is capable of supporting the weight or not.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #3

Yeah I would think the system could certainly hold the weight but it does detract from stability. I'm sure not going in there like this much less camp in it. But I just don't have the time to fix this until the weekend. So for now...fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Lifted from the ground is not that bad. It is not the best way to do it but and wouldn't worry has long as the other side is well chucked. Best way is to simply
add some wood plank to at least get it somewhere close to level beforehand.

Happened to me before and nothing bad happened. But I learnt from it
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #5

I had the wheels off the ground a couple weeks ago. Had to place a 2x6 under the tires and leveling blocks under the jack as well to avoid the "out of stroke" message.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote