Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
KFM

Fifth Wheel Versus TT

We had to postpone our ordering of a 28 BHS Jay Flight due to changes in our current plans. With that said, we are now thinking that we may want to look at a 5th Wheel as an option. It is just me and my wife and, at this point, we will be traveling July and August only. Can anyone share their experience and opinion on choosing either 5th Wheel or TT based on what I have shared. Thanks in advance for replies. Have a great day!
KFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

I traded in 07 Jay feather 29n TT for 2016 eagle HT 29.5 RLS . What a difference. 5W tows much better no sway from trucks. Able to cruise @70 mph . I tow with 07 Chevy 1500 with air bags Go with 5 wheel. 3th camper also had 1968 19ft nomadic from1972 to 1978
Mark Geer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

(KFM: You've got this posted in two places. Here is what I posted at the other one.)

The primary reasons we prefer TT...

We wanted 2 doors and many TT floorplans have 2 doors.
Pickup bed wide open.

We have both TT and 5th wheel hitches, so that didn't matter.
We've towed both TT and 5th wheels many miles and had no problems with either.
A minor consideration: More experience backing TT.

EDIT: Like Flapper said, the TT height is less and floor is flat were also considerations for us buying a TT.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

Jayco doesn't list a 26BHS for this year, did you mean a 26BH?

Anyway, we're going the other direction - down from a small fifth, to a TT. Haven't taken delivery on the TT yet, but here is some of what we noted:

TT will be just a bit longer than the fifth, with interior layout almost the same. (31 vs 30)
In that size, we loose the bedroom slide and extra bedroom storage we had in the fifth. Will miss that a lot.
Fifth also had much more storage in the front. We never really loaded it up, and while the TT is less, still good enough for us. And with the TT we gain the ability to put stuff in the truck bed, which was dedicated to the fifth wheel hitch.
I don't anticipate a huge problem with towing/backing. It will be different, yes - but it's just learning how to maneuver it.
It seems that a TT has more challenges in making sure weights are correct. Pretty much with a fifth, if your truck can support the payload, you're good to go. With a TT, you also have to worry about whether the truck can support the tongue weight - which can be far less than payload, due to the receiver on the truck.
The TT has less capacity for water, and the impact of towing with full tanks is greater (again, payload, tongue and GVW considerations).
Overall TT height is less, so less worry about branches or low bridges. (It was a branch that tore the roof of our fifth, causing water damage, which was just too expensive to repair or replace).
Our fifth required not only steps up to the bedroom, but had an elevated bed, which resulted in stumbles in the middle of the night. TT floor is flat, so that problem eliminated.
Fifth had great usable payload capacity, so it was easier to add heavy stuff - extra batteries, etc.

The TT you were looking at is moderately light - you won't find a fifth anywhere near that weight range. So the first big question will be: What is your tow vehicle? Only an F-150 with Heavy Duty Payload option can handle the smallest Jayco fifths. And even then it is close. No other 1/2 ton truck can. With a fifth, you really should have a 250 or 350 class vehicle. So that will be the big driver - the capabilities of the tow vehicle.
All the above otherwise is variable as to good/bad depending on specific comparisons between models. But overall ability to carry a fifth is the big driver.

We'll really, really miss our fifth. But expect the new TT will do pretty well, even on prolonged trips of a month or so.

Oh yeah - we were shocked at how much Jayco has boomed the prices, especially of fifths, in the past four years. So you can generally get a TT for a lot less....
Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Fifth Wheel Versus TT

Double post... maybe a mod can merge them?

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...-tt-43408.html
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #6

We upgraded from a hybrid X23B to the 351RLTS. 4400# to 12,700#, 24' to 39'. There is a dramatic towing difference with the 5th being very stable. We love the extra living and storage spaces it offers as well as the "luxury" factor. The cons are that it's length and height (13' and change) make it a challenge to get into tighter CG's. we also traded two "queen" bunks for a "king" bed and a sofa bed that I only allow enemies to sleep on. The hybrid was designed for 2 couples with overflow space for 2-3 kids (and yes, that would be crowded) and the 5th seems to be made with a single couple in mind, but there are floor plans that provide more sleeping arrangements.

We love the 5th!

That said, the most common issue I see is not quite enough TV. I'm a bit OCD about weights so my picture is distorted around that topic. A TV's Max Tow and/or cargo numbers and a TT's published dry weights will make the combi look good but a closer look may reveal the weight will exceed the Rear GAWR. Overloading the TV a bit won't cause the axle to break or springs/shocks to explode but it may cause the rig to be unstable in certain situations and over tax the brakes.
All the above is JMHO.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #7

Last year we upgraded from a 2013 Eagle 284BHS
Click image for larger version

Name:	new Eagle camper 72.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	28999
to a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160524_181149-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	29000

The most obvious difference I noticed was how much better behaved the 5th wheel was. The effects of cross winds on the 5th wheel were just a fraction of that of the travel trailer. The difference IMO, was very substantial.

Additionally, the observed MPG was between 1 and 2 MPG better with the 5th wheel too!

With the differences in the floor plan, the improvement in handling on the highway as well as the improved MPG with the 5th wheel, we're more than pleased.

on edit: I liked the constant high ceiling in the TT and found that the front bedroom in most 5th wheels lacked enough headroom for my 6'2" frame. But the Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS is different in that the bedroom is in the back. So the bedroom has a full height ceiling like a travel trailer.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 AM   #8

We bought a TT and after we did try to trade it in for a fifth but as all know that you will lose a lot of money and we wasn't worry about that too much because we were going to keep it.

Well now after looking at the one we have and with the room we have, with the 3 slide and a king size bed is a plus so we decided to keep it for a little while for about 3 or 4 years and then we might trade. I have started to upgrade some item inside our TT and I can see us keeping it for maybe longer. If you are thinking about getting a fifth I will go for it because once you get it and then decided that you want a fifth you will lose a lot of money.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #9

With a fifth wheel, you'll get a much better towing experience, and a lot more storage space.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #10

When we had a tow-able, it came down to one issue at the end of the decision process. We didn't want to lose the utility of the pickup with the topper. The locked topper was where we stored the generator and extra fuel, and when we were unhooked, it's where we put the beach toys, lounge chairs, coolers, etc. when we were out on side trips.

Of course, price was also a consideration, as the TT was about $ 22,000.00 less than the fiver that we were looking at.

It's a personal decision for everybody, of course. For us, a TT was better because of needing the space under the topper, the price, and because the TT was more "boon-dock friendly" (The Honda Genset stayed in the truck bed under the topper and provided power under any weather conditions).
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

KFM,
It all depends on how you'll use it, and how mush $$ you want to spend! You say you'll only use it for a couple of months each summer, but you don't mention any future plans - like retirement/full-timing, how far off that future is, what kinds of activities do you enjoy while camping, what types of campgrounds will you frequent, what/how old is your tow vehicle, and how is your health/mobility? All of these questions should be honestly answered before you make your decision.

Yes, 5th Wheels have more basement storage for the length, and are a little easier to handle, but that comes at a price. That price is:
Price - a TT will cost 1/2 - 1/3 the price of a 5W with a comparable floorplan. And if the 5W's additional weight forces you to upgrade your TV, that's even more expense. If you're several years from retirement (and don't really need the additional storage space), why not save the extra $$ to spend on a newer/bigger/better rig for your retirement needs or whatever you choose.
Additional height - may affect which routes and campsites you can access.
Loss of storage space in your truck bed - may affect what recreational items (like kayaks. fishing poles, skis, grills/smokers, fire pits, fire wood, etc)you can carry.
Additional steps - additional entry steps and having to walk up stairs every time you have to go to the restroom (in most 5W floorplans)may be hard on your legs/knees/hips.
Loss of extra sleeping space and cloths storage for grandchildren/guests - also in most 5W floorplans.

Finally, if your camping plans require frequent or long-distance driving during inclement weather, a 5W will be easier to handle. But if most of your camping is done at one or two sites within a couple-hundred miles of your home base (during the months you've mentioned), the effects of towing in the wind may be a mute point.

To summarize, I'm retired, and have been full-timing for over 2-1/2 years. I spend April through mid-November hosting in Michigan State Park campgrounds, and the rest of the year relaxing at a private campground in the Texas Hill Country. I selected my travel trailer because it best suited my needs; purchased my TV to handle the rig I'd selected; then purchased my trailer. I've never regretted those decisions. I hope my experience and suggestions will help make your decisions easier.

Enjoy it and Happy Camping!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

A few years ago we decided that we liked riding the atv trails in the mountains and we wanted an atv we could all(me, wife 2 kids 2 dogs)ride in. So I bought a Kawasaki mule. Then started looking for a toy hauler. The mule is a giant heavy ass toy so there aren't many toy haulers that can handle it. Luckily I found a Jayco travel trailer toy hauler that works (just barely) and my 3/4 ton pickup can pull it. I couldn't afford to buy a giant 5er toy hauler because they all weigh 18k+ and I would have had to upgrade the tow vehicle as well. Luckily my travel trailer works for both the atv and my tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #13

5th wheels are great if you need more external storage for stuff below deck. They are also easier to tow for those less comfortable manuvering a large trailer. They have more headroom for those who are REALLY tall although with some of the new Eagles, that difference is becoming less of a difference, and lastly, they do have floor plans that make your options broader when choosing.

On the flip side, they really do not have any more storage inside than a TT, they are more expensive, and when you factor in the lost truck bed cargo space, the external storage advantage becomes mute except maybe from a security standpoint.

Times are a changing and since my truck has no problem with sway or winds pulling a TT, that is the route I chose this time.

If you are in a smaller 3\4 ton and a much larger trailer, then a fifth wheel may be worth the added expense for some folks.

Lastly, it may reduce your bragging rights in the RV park pulling a TT, but the money you saved with the price difference will make all but the most vane reconsider.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #14

I just bought my first FW at the end of last summer. The FW is the lowest on my preference list between a MH, TT and FW. But the floorplan I wanted, the cargo and tank capacities, headroom and price put me into the FW.

The TT lets you have a choice of TV; Truck, SUV, Van. I like options in the SUV and Van side of TV for traveling with kids. The TT is also lighter, and generally lower giving fewer concerns on where you can take it than a FW (or MH).

The FW gives the option of more weight as a rule, so you can get larger floorplans, larger tanks, and more otions. I have yet to see an automatic system on a TT, but they are normal on FW and MH. My general feel is that other than towing characteristics, the real advantage of the FW is realized on the larger end of the scale. Until we decided that a Mid Bunk was on the Must Have list, there was typically around a 5,000 lb difference on GVWR on similar floor plans of TT and FW. If I wasn't going to utilize the increase in GVWR, I think I'd go TT for the flexibility in TV and lower clearance for tunnels & bridges. There are a few historic site clearances I've come across at 12'8" when I was 13'4"...
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #15

Go with a 5er' I've had 3 5th wheels, a 36' class A and A 32' TT. The Fifthwheels are much much safer to tow, waayyyy easier to hook up, and typically have nicer floor plans and a lot more storage. Also,if you get a front bedroom you tend to be up high enough to get a good view of the ocean over the sandbar in the mornings when camping at Ocean front resorts.
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
It's a little late, but after owning a pop-up, a 31' TT, (also used someone else's 31' TT) and camping with family in a class A motor home, and owning a 5er, I say 5th wheel all the way. Ours is 39' and still find it easier to maneuver than the 31' TTs. It also tows way better too, then you have the added luxury options, ease of hookup and setting up (one touch and it levels and stabilizes it's self) you just can't go wrong with the fifth wheel. I also disagree on the price factor, TTs with close to the same floorplans and options aren't quite half the price. Considering ours is about 5-7 ft longer than most TTs and has the ability to carry more toys and gear, and has much larger tanks for boon docking, it was only about 10 more than a TT, not really comparable if ya ask me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #17

Wink

I traveled coast to coast in a TT and now 15+ years later bought a 5th and a new Dually and yes the tow is better. Safety over other choices is priority at my age and I recall some in nerving incidents with a TT after several thousand miles. What actually sold me was while I was reading brochures brought back from a RV show a guy next to me asked me what I was looking at and I told him I was deciding between a TT and a 5ver. He said he never owned a camper but drove 5th wheel trailers for the military during Vietnam through retirement over rough terrain and said after that experience a 5er was the way to go. He only did transportation for the military. He had a lot of stories getting stuck but pointed out a 5th wheel pull was the way to go. I now agree and made the best choice.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #18

Traveling with the 5th is hands down the way to go. I had a 27' TT and just upgraded to a 5th - there is no comparison when talking of traveling between the 2 (I used the same 3/4 truck to pull both). The 5th wheel just stays behind with no movement at all. I even pulled through a cold front, with lots of wind. I saw plenty of tail waggin on the TT's, but I had zero issues. If I had my old TT I would have been right there with them!

Definitely easier to drive, and more rested when you get to your destination especially if it's a 4+ hour drive. Less mirror driving too
Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #19

I see that many take Safety first! Where to put the towels & toys and steps & climbing in beds should be second. Who am I kidding I'm 5'6 and don't have to worry about bumping heads in the 5er bedroom.
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
Who am I kidding I'm 5'6 and don't have to worry about bumping heads in the 5er bedroom.
I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room from the ceiling to the top of my head. Never hit it on anything as of yet. You should be fine. LOL

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote