Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

Fire Extinguishers Recommendations

I've searched these forums, and not really found what I'm looking for.. but that isn't to say it isn't here so please forgive me in advanced..

To that end - I need some recommendations from some of the more paranoid RV'ers.. The little tiny fire extinguisher that came with my fifth wheel seems woefully inadequate. I have a 29.5 BHDS.. that means the wife and I are up front, and our two (young) boys are on the opposite end of the trailer. Perfect for non-emergencies, but not the place I'd want them if something went bad.

I've read so much about different extinguishers ... some are toxic.. some are worthless.. etc etc.. This is what I'm hoping to get some advice on..

1) How many? My thinking is one in the front bedroom, one for my boys in their bunks, 1 in the kitchen, and atleast 1 outside the trailer somewhere (basement, etc).. I'd also like to keep one in the tow vehicle, but I'm afraid I'd just leave it in there all the time and I'm not sure that is ok in the Texas heat?

2) What kind? I'd prefer it be good enough to give the family enough time to get safe.. I'd also like it if I didn't give them cancer in the process..

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Thanks!
D
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #2

I buy mine at costco. We have 2 in the camper. I'll post a pic in a second. 2 smaller ones in the truck, a lot smaller actually.. + the original white one that came with the TT. Probably overboard, but I'm pretty big on 'being prepared'.
Attached Thumbnails
20170428_133705.jpg   20170428_133759.jpg  
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #3

For my 29.5RKS I mounted a 5lb ABC rated extinguisher just inside the main door. An ABC extinguisher handles wood, gas and electrical fires. One thing folks forget or don't know is that vehicle mounted extinguishers "settle" and compacts the very fine powder inside. A person needs to unmount and get that loosened by inverting and bumping it for a bit.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

Remember, a lot of extinguishers only give you about 10-15 seconds of spray.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Bigger is better...

As noted on prior postings, you want units that are rated for all possible types of fire (A,B,&C), and are likely to be powder types. 'Toxic' units are usually a halon (now outlawed except for aircraft & military use - due to ozone depleting) gas or 'clean' halon replacement gases, but are usually not recommended for confined spaces. Bigger is better - in that a longer discharge time is directly related to volume. Plan on two or three, depending on the size and layout (dead end spaces & exits) of your trailer. Remember, the trailer can be replaced, but family members can't... so don't linger fighting a fire, get the heck out.
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Check the head. If it's plastic walk away. You want a metal head. Check with a service that refills extinguishers. Most will not touch a plastic head. Plan on spending about $50 for a 2.5 lb. $200 for four. Expensive compared to $15 each at the big box? No. Real cheap when your $30K RV is on fire and your family inside.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

Metal discharge valves

Metal discharge valves are somewhat more reliable (refillable in most cases) than plastic valves, but plastic valves have been in successful use for many years in 'non-commercial' applications and are certified in NFPA &/or UL testing. Plastic units are not refillable, and (I believe) they are recommended to be replaced every five years or so. All powder type units should be turned upside down periodically and shaken to loosen any packed powder that has settled in the bottom of the cylinder. It is also wise to test discharge a hand-held unit on a 'pan fire' to learn it's proper use, and moreover, see just how short the discharge times really are. Also, there are likely on line videos on proper fire extinguisher use. Regardless of which valve type, bigger is better...
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #8

Just another suggestion- I also mounted an additional smoke/co detector in the basement area as well as an additional extinguisher. With all the wiring and other "stuff" down there you can never be too pro-active!!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Those powder based fire extinguishers are USELESS in an RV unless you know to take them and hold them upside down and shake them every month or so The RV going down the road settles the powder on the bottom and over time it becomes like a rock in there and when you pull the lever you just get the compressed air coming out. The powder is also NOT pet friendly and can kill your dog or cat.. a few years ago I upgraded my extinguisher to a liquid one from Mac the fire guy (He is paid by the RV insurance company to teach fire safety to RVers)
Here are links to the extinguishers and to Mac
https://squareup.com/market/fire-and-life-safety

HOME
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote