Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

First Outing in below freezing temps this weekend, advice?

Going to have the 2016Seismic 5er out this weekend and camping with night temps 25-30.

This will be the first time I've done this with any coach. I do not have the heated tanks or line option but as we know the underbelly is insulated, etc.

I imagine the below freezing temps will probably last 6-8 hours or less for two nights were on board. By the time we leave it will recover to above freezing. Nov 1 we are winterizing.

I've read some suggestions about disconnecting the potable external water and going internal for the night while below freezing temps exist.

I'll take any best practices, and maybe this thread will help someone like me in the future.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #2

At 24* we stayed connected, let the sink trickle all night. If you do this make sure your grey valve is open. A buddy didn't leave water running and his hose and CG water bib froze and split. Another neighbor unhooked but the CG hose bib cracked at his site too. CG probably should have turned off the water but didn't. Had they, I would have filled my FW tank as you describe.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

We have camped in our seismic down to 10 degrees without any issues (Oklahoma blizzard). For quick overnights we don't hook up to water or sewer because the valves are very cranky and, um, sticky at the low temps. We carry enough water to make it through a weekend so its not too big of a deal. When we are parked, I take our regular hose and do a two level wrap on it. First, I put foam insulation like they use on water pipes around it, and then I wrap it with a foam wrap that I get at lowes. Make sure to wrap the water faucet also so it doesn't freeze there. That combo has kept me good to go down to a consistent 9-25 degree days in Washington and California. There are now heated hoses also, but I like a passive solution that is not dependant upon power. Make sure to use the furnace also because your underbelly heat is dependatn upon it.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #4

Two follow up questions here also:
1 - I have a heat pump on my new unit. Seems it circulates just as the propane furnace does, but does anyone know for sure if it also circulates in the underbelly?

2 - As seems to be the case with most RVs in general, the tank dump valves leak a bit - every time I remove the sewer line cover, it's filled with water that has leaked by the dump valves. How do you protect this very exposed piece from freezing??
freddirkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Take a small electric heater. Moms gets cold!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

One thing to remember is that an electric heater will not heat the basement. That being said, I have run a heater in the living area and one in the basement when we had the electric available and were not paying for it.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddirkse View Post
2 - As seems to be the case with most RVs in general, the tank dump valves leak a bit - every time I remove the sewer line cover, it's filled with water that has leaked by the dump valves. How do you protect this very exposed piece from freezing??
Not sure I would worry about that little bit of fluid freezing. We experience the same residual fluid, it's about a cup or two at most, certainly not enough to expand and crack the pipe nor is it enought to create a blockage preventing you from dumping the tanks. Should it freeze, I imagine the first time you dump the fluid running over the ice would melt it away.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

First Outing in below freezing temps this weekend, advice?

Well we're here. It's still 50 out so enjoying the evening time outside now. Fresh water tank is filled halfway and opened the one hot air vent in the storage compartment. I assume they run a couple flexible ducts from the furnace into the underbelly. I thought the campground would be empty but it's got a pretty good amount of folks here. It's leaf season so that may have a lot to do with it.

And yes, mama has her heating blanket, it'll be 90 in there and that thing will still be cranking. That's when you'll find me outside!

We're connected to city water tonight but tomorrow night when the bottom drops I will go internal with water until it warms in the morning. We never use internal water so that will be an opportunity to use it.

Thanks to those who have provided some good stuff! I figured this thread would be good for others in future as well.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

By the way, when we did PDI one of the only minor issues, and we went through it for hours ;-) was the flexi ducts weren't snug to the furnace, took a picture and wanted to share. Dealer tightened them right up. Came from Indiana like that so might be worth a check when you guys have a chance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445038085.506603.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	20553
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddirkse View Post
Two follow up questions here also:
1 - I have a heat pump on my new unit. Seems it circulates just as the propane furnace does, but does anyone know for sure if it also circulates in the underbelly?

1. Does not circulate in the underbelly, but also does not work under 40 degrees and the furnace kicks on in that case. Best to use the gas furnace to keep the belly and basement warm.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

You can also put a little electric heater down there in the basement if it gets too cold. I have used one of those ceramic disc heaters before.