Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
First Trip, found a couple of bugs

We just spent a weekend in a nearby KOA on the Delta to get fimilar with our new 5er before our trip to San Diego on the 20th. I found a few things wrong. The keyless entry is dead, it wont respond to any key punches, the other thing is the scare light on the front corner of the trailer doesn't work. This is a 31.5RLTS and I'm assuming that the switch in the entry area operates this light but when I operate this switch nothing happens. All the fuses are good. Gonna have to break out the ladder and check the bulb in the coming week. The bottom of the magazine holder on the little table in the back of the trailer fell out, another thing I will repair myself.

Steve
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Sounds like you had a good shake down.....I have not played with the keyless entry (but would love to!)....hopefully that is something minor -- wonder if there is an internal battery or some type of activation?

On the light - good chance it is just a bad bulb. I actually had the exact same thing happen when I got my trailer.

Enjoy!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #3

Sounds like they did a good job building your fifth wheel. Sounds like you can fix everything except the keyless entry.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

My trailer has two switches for outside lights. One is next to the switch that operates the ceiling lights inside the trailer; this switch operates the small light by the door. The other is high up above that switch, and operates the scare light.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #5

Smile

Like you,we are at present on on shake down cruise in our 31.5 RLTS. We are in Williamsburg, Va.. About 4 hours from home so that if there any major issues, its not too far from the dealer. We also have had a couple very minor things to address. Bad latch on a bed room draw, poor seal on an outside marker light. Other then that, it looks like there are few issues. We did test the unit for its 4 season capabilities before we left home. We had a cold snap where the temperature dropped to 12 degrees. Although we had the heat set at 65 degrees inside which it maintained those temps nicely, it did freeze up the cold water tank and line. Obviously,there isn't enough heat directed into the tank compartment to stand these kind of temps. No damage was done. I managed to get it thawed before there was any permanent damage.
All in all, it seems like a pretty good unit.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donr827 View Post
Sounds like they did a good job building your fifth wheel. Sounds like you can fix everything except the keyless entry.
Don
The dealer did a good PDI prior to us even seeing the trailer (this was a long distance purchase for reasons other than price) and found 8 deficiencies 1 of which I would have never found in a million years. They were able to fix all but 2 items which are going to be done by our local dealer when the parts arrive. The local dealer, by the way, has been great for service even though we bought elsewhere. We did try to purchase through them but the unit we wanted was not available from them.

Fixing small things doesn't bother me, in fact I'd rather do what I can myself to avoid the hassle of dragging the trailer to the dealer.

Steve
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #7

On my 321RLTS I have 3 outside ligts. Did yuo walk all around the camper and look for all the lights.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #8

If you have the remote option, check the lights with that then check the inside wall switches. If they are still the same one push with a spring back type push once, check and repeat.

I had a similar issue with the outside lights but after pushing the remote button they all worked fine. If that doesn't work you might just need a new bulb.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Checked it out yesterday and it was just a bad bulb, it's all ok now. Jayco told me to take it to a dealer for the Keyless entry, I thought they may have a tech guy who could tell me where to look. I also asked them for a wiring diagram for the trailer and she said they only do that for owners of trailers that are out of warranty. I'll spend a little time on it when we are in San Diego week after next.

Steve
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #10

Good deal....gotta like the easy ones.

First I have heard of them not providing the diagrams when in warranty. My guess is that is at the discression of the rep based on what is being asked. I can understand that on complex parts were it could ultimately lead to customer disatisifaction if the tinkered with it and Jayco voided the warranty. (not saying I like it lol)

Let us know what they find on the door. Hopefully it is something simple as well.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote