Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Smile First Trip with our 36REQS Pinnacle

Hello, we just returned from our first trip with our new rolling condo. This is our first Jayco product but our 5th fifth-wheel. We are very happy with the workmanship of this unit. We did have a few minor items that we found wrong with our unit. A small abrasion to a slide topper, a crackling noise at times with the kitchen linoleum, a cracked soap dispenser in the utility compartment, and when they installed the WD they forgot to hook it up, it was not plugged in and the water connections were loose. Found the loose connections before any water leaks, but had to remove the WD to get to the electrical plug, in the process scratched the woodwork on the closet floor. All in All seams to be an A1 fifth wheel. :hihi:
Corky506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Corky! Those Pinnacles sure are nice units. I think a few minor issues are to be expected with a unit that large and complex. Enjoy your new 5er and post often!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

Hey Corky - where were you a ff? I have seen one or two more around here lately. I have been doing it for 25 years....still love it.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Had 25 years for West Bend Fire Dept in southeastern Wisconsin. Hung up the helmet seven years ago and have been full time since. Loved the firefighting, but this is better yet.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #5

Corky,
Congrats on your 1st successful trip with your REQS!!
We are looking really hard at this 5th wheel model. We are looking at the Silverado 3500 CC TD 4x4 DRW LB to tow with.
We have never owned a TT or 5th wheel. We did tow a very small pop-up years ago! Not quite the same

Would you share with us some things that you really like about your unit and maybe a few of the things you wish were different or that surprised you about the REQS?
Any insight, (your hindsight), advice, tips, suggestions etc.... would be greatly appreciated!

How is the towing experience? Did you have and issues with the 5th wheel being too low or have problems going over dips or getting in and out of gas stations?
crazy4cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #6

What we really Like
Value for the dollar, we think it is a great unit for the cost
The kitchen and amount of storage in the kitchen
Ledgestone Fireplace
basement storage is awesome
Bathroom set up very nice.
fit and finish very good.
a very good dealer.

Could be improved
Depth of bedroom dresser
Wish it had G rated tires
The end table magazine rack was too wide for a good fit between the recliners, but a saw, router, and stain took care of that issue.

At first I thought that the front legs could be too low. After several times towing this is not a problem, I even added my JT strongarms and still plenty of clearance in and out of dips and over humps. As for towing my fuel mileage came up almost 1 mpg on the last two trips from our old unit that weighed the same. Good aerodynamics. So far we can recommend this unit as a good value. If you wish for anymore info you can email me.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

Have to agree with Corky's list except for fit and finish. Workmanship on wood/vinyl interior panels looked like someone had used a machine gun to attach the panel. Bathroom medicine cabinet had rough corners and poor finish. Shower leaked onto floor.

We love the fireplace, the entertainment unit, the sofa/airbed, double door refer/freezer, lots of storage, high ceilings, dual AC, electric awning.

We will be in the RV 5 months straight in the AZ high country.
FiredguyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredguyAZ View Post
Have to agree with Corky's list except for fit and finish. Workmanship on wood/vinyl interior panels looked like someone had used a machine gun to attach the panel. Bathroom medicine cabinet had rough corners and poor finish. Shower leaked onto floor.

We love the fireplace, the entertainment unit, the sofa/airbed, double door refer/freezer, lots of storage, high ceilings, dual AC, electric awning.

We will be in the RV 5 months straight in the AZ high country.
I am hopeing your 5 months don't start this week. There is going to be lots of snow in the Az high country.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky506 View Post
Could be improved
Depth of bedroom dresser
Wish it had G rated tires
The end table magazine rack was too wide for a good fit between the recliners, but a saw, router, and stain took care of that issue.

Depth of bedroom dresser (Same Comment my Wife made)
Wish it had G rated tires (Same Comment I made)

Wow, great minds think alike!!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I am hopeing your 5 months don't start this week. There is going to be lots of snow in the Az high country.
Clutch, you must be watching the same weather station that I am.
We travel May to July 1 and then spend the summer in Overgaard, AZ at 6500 ft. Elk Pines RV Resort.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

gas stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4cruisin View Post
How is the towing experience? Did you have and issues with the 5th wheel being too low or have problems going over dips or getting in and out of gas stations?
I just returned from the maiden voyage on the Pinnacle and the Chevy 3500. I am hoping that the fuel mpgs will improve as the truck engine breaks in.
The REQS is 40ft 10" and weighs 15000 lbs as rated by Jayco. Getting a 40 foot rv plus a long wheelbase crewcab dually requires planning ahead for a fuel stop that won't tear something off your trailer or truck. I stick to the same fuel plazas that the 18 wheelers use. There is usually plenty of room.
I weighed the truck and trailer on this trip for a 22,000 lb combined weight from CAT scale for $9. I suggest you do that before you decide on what tires to upgrade.
The Pinnacle has plenty of clearance.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredguyAZ View Post
Clutch, you must be watching the same weather station that I am.
We travel May to July 1 and then spend the summer in Overgaard, AZ at 6500 ft. Elk Pines RV Resort.
Most likely the same station. We are in Parker Az for the winter. We usually come down in Sept and stay in Williams until the temps drop a little.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote