Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
More on China tires. Last summer I had two blowouts with China made tires, one had just under 10,000 and the other one had just over 10,000 miles. The tire pressure was correct and I was not overloaded. I could not determine when the tires were made by the code on the tires nor could a tire dealer. After researching on line I discovered a number of other RV’ers had had similar problems with the brand (which I no longer remember) on my 5th wheel, a Sidney Outback 322FRL.
I recently made a new purchase and sent the following to Jayco Customer Service. “I just purchased a (2014) Jayco Eagle 28.5RLS Fifth Wheel .To my dismay I discovered it is equipped with Power King Towmax tires. These tires have a history of many many complaints by RV'ers of blowouts and other failures which are well documented, causing a great deal of damage to trailers. Why is a company of your good reputation installing these unsafe, very poor quality tires on your RV's ? I have been an RV'er for over 30 years including 9 years as a "fulltimer" so I have a great deal of experience on the road with 5th wheel trailers and am very concerned about the safety of these tires.”
I received a prompt reply from Jayco Customer Service as follows. “Thank you for taking the time to share your co0ncerns with us here at Jayco. At this time the Tomax tire has been a reliable product for us here at Jayco as the defect rate is less then 3%. When your building 40,000 travel trailers, 5th wheels and fold down units a year we feel very comfortable with the Tomax product with this small of a defect rate. In regards to the documentation on the internet and forums in general we have learned that much of the information in those places aren't something we take seriously as the stories are quite often exaggerated and blown out of proportion by disgruntled RVer's from any of the various manufacturers. I'm sorry you are not happy with the Tomax name but at this time we are perfectly happy with the product.”

Any comments about these tires, good or bad?

VTcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods
This subject has been beat to death on the forum. Very few made in America choices and if you do settle on one I'm sure you will find someone that will claim failures with that one too. Why not buy a tire pressure sensor kit since most tire failures begin with under-inflation?

3330 is offline   Reply With Quote