Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Floor

I have a 2007 Jayco 28.5 foot fifth wheel and I've noticed last year a little bit and this year more pronounced that the floor in front of the kitchen is getting very soft I have no apparent leaks anywhere in the trailer and I'm not quite ready to tear apart the bottom to see what it is wondering if anybody has an idea what's going on
Fepurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #2

I have the same issue on our 2006 Jayflight 27.5. It's not only in front of the kitchen but pretty much the whole living area. It sags between the floor frame members. I can't find any leaks either. I haven't opened up the belly completely but I have taken it loose in spots to peek in and from what I can see it does not appear to be leak damage...it looks just fine from underneath, at least the small ares that I can see. I think the floor is made from the same thin plywood and foam sandwich that the walls are made from. I'm wondering if it's deterioration of the material from age and being walked on over the years. I'm thinking of sawing out the spongy sections and replacing them with plywood but it seems like a lot of work.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Floor

I'm not ready to replace the whole floor yet but it's getting there I've tried contacting customer service at Jayco to see if they have any insight on it once they get back to me that I make the decision on which way to go
Fepurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
I have the same issue on our 2006 Jayflight 27.5. It's not only in front of the kitchen but pretty much the whole living area. It sags between the floor frame members. I can't find any leaks either. I haven't opened up the belly completely but I have taken it loose in spots to peek in and from what I can see it does not appear to be leak damage...it looks just fine from underneath, at least the small ares that I can see. I think the floor is made from the same thin plywood and foam sandwich that the walls are made from. I'm wondering if it's deterioration of the material from age and being walked on over the years. I'm thinking of sawing out the spongy sections and replacing them with plywood but it seems like a lot of work.
Awe, come on.. Jayco is quality, it has plywood.. Haha.. I think the marketing money is costing taking over the quality dept.

How about some poo on your feet when you have to dump... That's the least of my worries.
Trackermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepurdy View Post
I'm not ready to replace the whole floor yet but it's getting there I've tried contacting customer service at Jayco to see if they have any insight on it once they get back to me that I make the decision on which way to go
I'm thinking...

Pull up the vinyl flooring. It's seen better days anyway and seems to be loose.

Saw out and remove the soft areas. On mine it looks like about a 4x6 ft section and maybe a 2x4 ft section in front of the entry door, the main traffic areas. That should expose the floor frame members and show if it's actually water damage (which I doubt). I think a circular saw would do the job.

Install marine plywood. I think the floor is a little over an inch thick so it'll take a couple layers or maybe just shim the replacement plywood to make it match the height of the remaining floor.

Install new sheet vinyl flooring. Done!

Should be a piece of cake, right?

Plan B...Sell/trade it for a newer and slightly bigger trailer (this might actually be Plan A ).

Whatcha think?

Please post what you hear from Jayco, if anything.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team

If it is the traditional plywood over 2x3 joists this should not be a difficult repair. I did it on my previous trailer which was a Coachman. It had a leak by the door and the floor was soft there (it was OSB that literally melted when wet unlike the Jayflights that have plywood) but it did had the wooden joists underneath. First thing is to of course find and cure the leak, I did that. Then I carefully lifted up the vinyl, cut out a square of the OSB larger then the affected area, cleaned and dried it out thoroughly with a fan then added a few new joists for additional support. Cut to fit a new piece of plywood and screwed it in place. Laid the vinyl back down and used quarter round molding for the edges. The floor was more solid there then anywhere in the trailer afterward. This is why I like the plywood over joist floors, they can be more easily repaired if necessary then the foam/sandwich floors that have no wooden joists underneath.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #7

There is a video on you tube by David Satterthwaite showing "How to fix a spongy floor in a motorhome, RV or caravan using non expanding glue".
This might be worth while having a look at this video.
macleadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #8

Thanks for the pointer. I found that one and several others. I never thought to look at YouTube. Wrong generation, I guess.