Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Found roof problem on 38fsla

Just for everyones info I was checking all the caulking and such on my 2016 38fsla. What I came accross was along the roll from roof to side wall they have installed a hard piece of plastic under the rubber roof. Well the staples they are using to hold the plastic down is coming back out and thus creating places for holes in the rubber roof. The rubber roof material is very thin as is so it doesnt take much to put a hole in and next thing you know you have rot and mold. What I have found at lowes is a roll of rubber flashing that can be put down the the corner of the roof and will help with added protection from the staples working out but also from the low tree limbs that we some times hit going into parks and residential streets.. Feel free to give any more comments about the matter. Our trailer as well has to go into the shop for the front corners cracking on both slides not to mention the awning almost falling off. lol A person has got to laugh and take this with a grain of salt the rv communty will be dealing with poor craftmanship for years to come..
pgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #2

Had a few staples pop up on our 2015 FLSA, dealer repaired it under warranty. Since you're heading to the factory I wouldn't do anything that would limit their access to the trim so they can remove it and get under the roof material to restaple it.

As to the cracks had those too. As I mentioned before it must be common on FW as other manuf, such as Heartland, pre cut that corner and cover it with trim. For some reason JAYCO refuses to do that and would rather pay for the repairs.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Site Team

I think you will be making a big mistake to cover that roof material with the stuff you mentioned.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

I have a few staples I noticed piping up. I figured I would monitor them, and use a roll of eternabond if needed. Basically the same concept as you mentioned.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #5

You're not the first, a few people have had this fixed under warranty.
If your out of warranty, I would use beige Eterna Bond and roll it from end to end over the spot.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #6

our 2016 36fbts is suppose to get a new roof either by the dealer or it might be going back to the factory this fall.
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

I would be extreemley wary of doing such a mod...

I was reading my owner manual and (uncertain if yours does) but I have a lifetime warante on my roof, Void if I make any modifications to that area.

I had planned on putting a solar panel on my roof, but it 'technically' voids my lifetime warente.

It is possible, that by adding that to prevent it happening again. It could mean they stop honoring the warente. They might not do the repairs to fix this, might not fix it if it happens again, and might not fix 'other' problems that arise in the future.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying check to see what that might effect. And ask Jayco if they would count it as modifying and voiding the warente, or as maintenence to uphold the warante.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

Having my entire roof replaced June 5th under warranty.16 Eagle 321 RSTS.Had a small ripple in the roof front to back passenger side. Seems like when I sold my last camper the roof was the first thing buyers wanted to look at! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

I would have gladly let the dealer fix the roof but so happens one of the low hanging limbs that was cut at a angle at lazy days rv park got the corner of my roof also. Lol I got sidetracked trying not to run over there picnic table and forgot about the limb till to late. But on a good note there guys were out there to trim the tree before the next guy pulled in the next night. Lazydays rv in tuson was fixing my brakes which all the seals had went out on. Was a emergency pit stop. Too bad they stopped doing jayco work they were awesome to work with.
pgraves is offline   Reply With Quote