Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Frameless Windows

We have a North Pointe 377 RLBH with frameless windows. Has anyone found a way to open the windows further than the cranks allow for? Also the emergency exit window in the bedroom, have you been able to find a way to extend the rod to allow the window to open further. We are also thinking of having a fantastic vent fan installed in the main bedroom, anyone else have this done? Does it help to keep the room cooler?
eklav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

We just picked up a 2017 29rkds with the frameless windows. I do like the wondows and agree that they do not open far enough. Unless you change the the crank mechanism i do not see a way to open them farther. I have installed a fantastic fan on a older unit that we owned and we loved it. It will pull plenty of cool outside air into your unit. I would install one of those first before modifying your windows. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results without spending money on window mods. Good luck and happy camping.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

We are going to have our dealer look at adding the fan in the fall after we pull off our seasonal site, I am glad to hear it really helped.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Glad we have the slide windows in our rig. Believe we get more/better ventilation.

Frameless look nice though.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

I agree about the slides you can get a good breeze with them verses the frameless. The only advantage i see on the frameless is the looks and we are able to leave them open when it rains. I will probably end up installing a fantastic fan in our unit before the seasons done because the frameless windows have a small opening.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Our last RV had frameless windows like the one we have now, and we were never bothered by the fact that they don't open very far. It can pour down rain, and you don't have to close them like you do the slider type. And we always have plenty of ventilation. We've also had Fantastic Fans on our last four campers - it's amazing the difference it makes.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

We do love the look of the frameless and the trade off is you loose some of the opening, but I have not seen any black streaks from the frames yet either
Old 07-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #8

I just installed a Maxxair fan in my White Hawk. I didn't realize how cheap and ineffective the factory fan was. My wife occasionally cooks food inside which sets off the fire alarm every time. We will see this coming weekend how the new fan performs but so far it's like a vacuum cleaner from what I can tell

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

While most of us agree frameless windows look nice, keep in mind if you have dual pane versions the cost to repair after they leak is double. Yes, double the cost of repairing a standard frame window.

And all dual pane windows will leak eventually.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #10

OK so we got the double pane windows on our new unit. For those of you out there who have these windows have you experienced them leaking. And if so how long did you own the unit until they did. Just curious, this is our 1st unit with the double pane windows. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 AM   #11

My windows are not frameless and I started having leaking issues after a bit over 4 years from new. By the time I got to having them repaired in Florida while on a trip I had 6-7 leaking. So when I was at the repair facility I had them remove and rework all of my windows. The repair facility is 500+ miles from my home base and it made more sense to me to get them all done at one time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM   #12

Frameless window seals

Ive got an Eagle HT 28.5rsts with frameless windows and I noticed the outside seal on the emergency exit window in the bedroom was beginning to tear away from its adhesive tape. Has anyone had this issue? How did they repair it? Is their a replacement part number for the seal? My preference is to repair it myself.
Patjjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patjjensen View Post
Ive got an Eagle HT 28.5rsts with frameless windows and I noticed the outside seal on the emergency exit window in the bedroom was beginning to tear away from its adhesive tape. Has anyone had this issue? How did they repair it? Is their a replacement part number for the seal? My preference is to repair it myself.
I would try some contact cement instead of trying to replace the entire seal.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklav View Post
We have a North Pointe 377 RLBH with frameless windows. Has anyone found a way to open the windows further than the cranks allow for? Also the emergency exit window in the bedroom, have you been able to find a way to extend the rod to allow the window to open further. We are also thinking of having a fantastic vent fan installed in the main bedroom, anyone else have this done? Does it help to keep the room cooler?

I converted my egress window into an opening window. And yes you can remove the stops on the frameless guides and the window will open the full travel of the guides.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Window 1.jpg   Rear Window 2.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #15

Frameless Windows

I had issues with mine as well. They first tried to fix it and then realized the window was actually warped anyway not making full contact.

I didn’t want to leave it out in the elements at the dealer like this, so In the meantime while I waited for the fix I used some of this in the trouble area. Worked well. I placed it on the window cut to fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	60607
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #16

Frameless windows have advantages and disadvantages. They open only so far, so you need to open them all when you don’t want to run the AC. They have a tendency to loosen when traveling on bumpy roads so check them before leaving.

The advantage is they look great, provide privacy when fully open, and it can rain like crazy with them open.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #17

Just a thought- get the fan that both exhausts and reverses to bring air in. There are times when you may want to bring in cool air from outside just to that area. Or, it works great to create airflow thru the camper if you have one exhausting out and one fan drawing air in, if you have 2 fans.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklav View Post

If you mean to prop the emergency exit windows open farther than the wand would allow, I might try a piece of PCV pipe that would fit over the wand (3/4" ID). Then paint it black just for looks and notch the end closest to the RV in order to prop it in the window frame. The wand is hinged vertically, so this would work.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Frameless windows have advantages and disadvantages. They open only so far, so you need to open them all when you don’t want to run the AC. They have a tendency to loosen when traveling on bumpy roads so check them before leaving.

The advantage is they look great, provide privacy when fully open, and it can rain like crazy with them open.
in 2016 when i ordered my rig.. i went aluminum siding for one reason, i wanted sliding windows for cross ventilation and you couldn't get them with glass siding. I understand that now 2020+ with fiberglass sides offer the choice of either type window.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #20

We just bought an Eagle with frameless windows. Our previous 5ther had the traditional slide windows. Of course it's just a matter of preference, but we prefer the frameless. They are more attractive, and I like the way you can enjoy a rain shower with them open. Sure there are give and takes to everything, and you don't get as much ventilation, but we live in Wyoming, and seldom get too far south, so that may not be as much of an issue for us.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote