Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I for one never move my rig with full tanks unless I am driving to the dump station. Would not think of traveling with full tanks, even fresh water tank. Fill up when I get close if I need it.
That is just not a realistic option for everyone, especially if you boondock. There are many times where water is only available if you are camping there(private campgrounds fit this description). Other places you have to "steal" water with a water thief. The whole point of having tanks is so you can put water/waste in them. In fact, one of the reasons I purchased a Jayco was to have the option of the 80 gallon water tanks.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #22

I get the boon-docking issue, but I sure would not travel too far with full tanks or over bad roads. This sounds like another DIY and Do It Better mod. There may not be a single manufacturer building a unit with tanks that can truly handle the road when full. There could be, but I did not know of a make that does. It is possible that Northwood MFG or Outdoor RV use beefier materials, but I am not sure.

I would go nice and slow. Cut as little as you have to; study the situation once you get it exposed - determine the design and/or assembly flaws to rectify and then make your own support system for the tanks, using better materials and stronger fastening practices. Then you will have total piece of mind.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #23
Site Team

With my 28BHS I traveled many times with a full fresh tank, 53 gallons, never had a problem. If they are going to build them without the ability to tow with full tanks they need to put a sticker on each unit saying " This unit is not intended or warranted for boondocking". That should go over well, lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
In reality, this site has a small % of Jayco owners. That's why I believe it should be reported to Jayco, even if they won't warranty it.
Don't disagree, he should report it, but it can't be classified as a design flaw which is what I commented on. There are enough owners of like units on this forum that would have had the same problem if it was.

Cars, trucks, appliances etc, all have had major individual failures shortly after the warranty's up, it happens.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #25

I discovered the problem. The bolts that hold the the straps that hold the tank in place have no nuts. Yes the bolts were screwed through the strap and through the frame but there are no nuts holding the bolts in place. I can't believe it took this long for the tank to come loose. You can't make this stuff up. Must not be any drug testing and no quality control at Jayco.
scott23.5rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #26

I think someone mentioned the straps are not the support mechanism, they are only used for production to temporarily hold the tank in place.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #27

Oh no, these straps are the only thing supporting the tank. The straps are fine, very stout but bolts must have nuts.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The Tanks are in a channel and the opposite side are with brackets and woodscrews, that's standard procedure. Under my FW tank I installed 2x4 fir across the bottom with 1/2" plywood on top and on top of the 1/2" plywood a heat blanket. I still used the brackets but for extra safety the 2x4's. Wherever you cut across you can install a 2x4 where you can screw the joint and gorilla tape it. I used big washers with the woodscrews.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #29

After getting the underbelly cut open I can see the screws that hold the supports for the tank are the type that do not take nuts. All units manufactured in this way will eventually have the fresh water tank come loose. It is inevitable.

All owners should change from screws to nuts bolts and lock washers.