Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Fresh water tank/Low point drain question

I found 2 low point drains on my fifth wheel. They are up near the front, and are behind an access panel. Makes sense. But there is also another set near the back of trailer, they come through the underbody cover just ahead of the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is a big one and has two low point drains to drain it out, would these other two lines I'm seeing be vents perhaps to help in draining fresh tank? Or could they be overfill lines that let water out if tank is plumb full? I could not find low point drain valves anywhere inside or out for them, so I don't think that's what they are. By the way it's a 2014 33.5rets fifth wheel.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

I have two stubs of hose that stick out of the belly as well, they are overflow tubes on the fresh water tank.

They also allow air into the tank as you fill it and prevent back flow

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Good to know and a good idea, thanks for the quick response!
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

low point drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
I found 2 low point drains on my fifth wheel. They are up near the front, and are behind an access panel. Makes sense. But there is also another set near the back of trailer, they come through the underbody cover just ahead of the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is a big one and has two low point drains to drain it out, would these other two lines I'm seeing be vents perhaps to help in draining fresh tank? Or could they be overfill lines that let water out if tank is plumb full? I could not find low point drain valves anywhere inside or out for them, so I don't think that's what they are. By the way it's a 2014 33.5rets fifth wheel.
The two in the rear are for the fresh water tank to drain. The two plugs you pull up front behind the access panel are the low point drains in the inside lines. Always drain those when you winterize. I made it a point to leave the screws out of that access panel and just put the panel behind the carpeted wall. It will stay in place very well and you don't have to remove the screws every time you want to get in there. We actually had to cut a big access hole there to remove the furnace to replace a control board. Seems like you are really having fun now checking out that new unit. We just got back from a week long trip and will probably be going again in another week. Retirement is great.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

On our first trip out this weekend with our Eagle HT 27.5 bhs as I was filling the water tank it began to leak out one of the labeled low point drains in the rear so I figured it was a vent and that the tank was full so I stopped filling. Got to the camp site and set up. Checked the fresh level and it was only 2/3 full. Not sure why it started leaking at 2/3 full if it's a vent and if it's a vent why it's labeled a low point drain on the side of the trailer.
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofall View Post
On our first trip out this weekend with our Eagle HT 27.5 bhs as I was filling the water tank it began to leak out one of the labeled low point drains in the rear so I figured it was a vent and that the tank was full so I stopped filling. Got to the camp site and set up. Checked the fresh level and it was only 2/3 full. Not sure why it started leaking at 2/3 full if it's a vent and if it's a vent why it's labeled a low point drain on the side of the trailer.
Ours did that too. It creates a siphon effect and the water pours out of the vents until your at 2/3 or less. I extended my vents and put caps I can reach and close them while I'm getting to the site Others on here had the same problem..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #7

So unless you mod it you can't get it full?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

water leaking from vent

Quote:
If it is labeled a low point drain, then it is not a vent. The low point drain will have a valve to open and close. Sounds like the valve may not be closed all the way. You will have a vent tube coming from the fresh water fill tank but it will not be labeled. Probably sticking down from the floor someplace with putty all around it and no valve. You should be able to find the valve pretty easy for the low point drain.

Joe Hinson
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Exactly what I thought. However, I searched high and low for a valve. I could see none to be found (no access panels like the front etc) except for the drain valve on the actual fresh water tank drain and that was definitely closed. The labels are on the side of the trailer. Without looking at it and going by memory there is the fresh water drain (maybe that's one of the two labeled "low point drains" and two additional sets of tubes that have no valve that I can find. One of those sets are are the ones that are leaking when getting the tank full.

I don't believe it's a low point drain as it was only draining at 2/3 full which makes no sense at all for a low point drain even if the valve was not fully closed.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #10

In my 30.5RLs, the low point drain valves are behind a metel plate, up in the basement, next to the knife drain valves and fresh water connection points

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

Quote:
It may very well have been full when you left the house. When I had my 25RKS, I would fill it at the house and when I would get to camp, it would also read less that full. Every time I would go around a corner, water would flow out of the overflow/vent hose. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally started watching close, and would see a water trail on the road behind me while driving up the twisting canyon road to camp. Made a plug, or plugs, can't remember if there were two hoses or one, by threading a bolt into the end of the hose. Take it out while filling the tank, and plug it before heading out on the road. Tank was always full when arriving at camp after that.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

low point drains

Quote:
Exactly what I thought. However, I searched high and low for a valve. I could see none to be found (no access panels like the front etc) except for the drain valve on the actual fresh water tank drain and that was definitely closed. The labels are on the side of the trailer. Without looking at it and going by memory there is the fresh water drain (maybe that's one of the two labeled "low point drains" and two additional sets of tubes that have no valve that I can find. One of those sets are are the ones that are leaking when getting the tank full.

I don't believe it's a low point drain as it was only draining at 2/3 full which makes no sense at all for a low point drain even if the valve was not fully closed.
Does there happen to be a sink inside in the vicinity of that low point drain. You may have another set of two valves inside underneath your front or back sink. Usually when it says low point drain, there are two valves, one for hot and one for cold.

Joe Hinson
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #13

low point info

On ours, the same sticker is used to identify the low point plumbing drains and the two fresh tank drains. They should be labeled differently, but aren't. Also, those hoses near axle are the fresh tank overflows.
As for the access panel to get to the low point drain valves, we put on a few velcro tape piecs so as not to need a screwdriver.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #14

Our HT 26.5 RLS, 2012 Model, has a low point drain at the rear of the FW for the fresh water tank and then has a couple located right behind the wall of the storage area in the front of FW. As far as the water siphoning out of the fresh water tank through the overflow line, in my old FW, a 1993 Eagle 215SD, I would take a wire nut and plug that overflow line, if I filled before towing, and then take it out when we got to the destination. Generally, now, we don't have much, if any, fresh water when towing, we usually fill up when we get to our destination. If your overflow line allows 1/3 of your tank capacity to drain, the overflow line might be too low in the tank and may need to be repositioned. I don't speak from experience on this, but stranger things have happened.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
On ours, the same sticker is used to identify the low point plumbing drains and the two fresh tank drains. They should be labeled differently, but aren't. Also, those hoses near axle are the fresh tank overflows.
As for the access panel to get to the low point drain valves, we put on a few velcro tape piecs so as not to need a screwdriver.
Now why didn't I think of the Velcro. Great idea!

Joe Hinson
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
It may very well have been full when you left the house. When I had my 25RKS, I would fill it at the house and when I would get to camp, it would also read less that full. Every time I would go around a corner, water would flow out of the overflow/vent hose. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally started watching close, and would see a water trail on the road behind me while driving up the twisting canyon road to camp. Made a plug, or plugs, can't remember if there were two hoses or one, by threading a bolt into the end of the hose. Take it out while filling the tank, and plug it before heading out on the road. Tank was always full when arriving at camp after that.
Thanks for the idea. I don't think this was the issue, as it was filled at the destination (within 4 miles) so it wasn't sloshing around for long and only 2 turns.
My guess, is that based on the unlevelness of this trailer (see other thread of mine) while hitched and the location of those vent tubes is that it's at a place where begins emptying out the vent tubes before it can reach full.