Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

I have 2 12volt in mine. Not sure if the invertor is even working. Not sure if my truck is charging batteries when I am towing.
So much about all this that I don't know about. Hoping dealer can get it all straightened out so we can start using again.
Had a frig Service guy check frig out and it is not cooling.

jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

When we originally ordered our unit, we debated between this and the propane unit. Now wishing we had gone with the propane unit. We get about 4-5 hours off 2 batteries.

It also appears there is an issue with the batteries charging when connected to the truck. Unit goes to the dealer & that is one more thing for them to check out.

USMC Veterans
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
When we originally ordered our unit, we debated between this and the propane unit. Now wishing we had gone with the propane unit. We get about 4-5 hours off 2 batteries.

It also appears there is an issue with the batteries charging when connected to the truck. Unit goes to the dealer & that is one more thing for them to check out.
4-5 hours sounds more realistic. I thought 2 12v 80ah batteries you would get closer to 8hours though. ..16 hours would kill the battery. I think I could get 16 hours from just my 2 T-105's but they would be well below the 50% rule after.

Don't expect too much from your trucks charging system. My SuperDuty has a high output alternator and it puts back 3amps to the trailer. That's not much.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post

Don't expect too much from your trucks charging system. My SuperDuty has a high output alternator and it puts back 3amps to the trailer. That's not much.
I've mentioned this before. We travel 6/7 hrs a day with the inverter, 2 batteries, running the fridge. When we arrive at a CG the inverter still shows 12.7/8 volts (85%) so obviously my Chev is keeping things charged while on the road.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #15

Grumpy I don't know why your system is working so darn good. Mine stinks. Obviously if I was getting results like you I wouldn't be starting threads like this.

There is no way I could travel for 7 hours and have batteries at 85% without my solar.
I guess you've never watched your inverter control with the amps displayed because you are traveling, but I would be interested to know what results your Samsung gives to compare with the Fridgidaire.

I just checked my Trojans...unplugged them at 13.22 volts. Twenty four hours later 13.10v. I don't think I have a battery problem.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #16

I switched to a residential fridge in my houseboat because the gas/eled Norcold was over $1200. Also since the boat is in a slip w/ shore power 95% of the time it was pretty much a no brainer with the new fridge costing less than $300 on sale at Lowes. When "boondocking" out on the lake, I run my Honda 2000 pretty much from 6am till 11pm and shut everything down [including fridge] over nite. With no one opening the door the fridge holds temp pretty well and the ice trays remain hard frozen until morning.

I would have bit the bullet on a new Norcold if we were planning on spending more time on the lake like some of our neighbors do. They go out for 10 out of 12 weeks between memorial and labor days. The newer boats can be equipped with residential fridges and electric stoves as the manufacturers are going without propane. Those boats have large inverters and a significant battery bank. Even the bigger hi $$ houseboats pretty much all run a Honda 2000 [some 12/7] to keep up with the draw thru the inverter.

I would not want an RV that I expected to do a lot of boondocking equipped with a residential fridge.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I guess you've never watched your inverter control with the amps displayed because you are traveling, but I would be interested to know what results your Samsung gives to compare with the Fridgidaire.
Never looked at amp draw, really had no need. I do know the SAMSUNG has what is called an inverter compressor, what ever that is.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #18

We have a 2017 Eagle 330RSTS on order with the Frigidaire and found out today that there may be no way to install more than 1 battery in the new design. I have started a different thread on this subject to let anyone else know that may be ordering these.