Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Front cap paint

I have a 1 year 11 month old 36 KTPS with full body paint. I did not want to deal with pealing decals so I opted for the paint instead. The front cap is beginning to develop small cracks in the paint. I contacted Jayco and they said take it to my local Jayco dealer. I bought the 5th wheel at an RV show and the selling dealer is 100 miles away. I called the local dealer they will not service trailers unless they sold them. I had a run in with the selling dealer and he admitted to me, in an e-mail, that he was a condecending ass to me and said I should take my trailer elsewhere. I am trying to work with Jayco so I can take it to a local repair facility. It has been about a week since I sent the 1,450 dollar estimate to sand down, prime, and repaint. No word yet. Since the trailer faces south and gets a lot of sun, I wash and wax the front cap about every 3 months. I wish I had the room and the money for an RV garage.
Jack 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Jayco will take care of this, but your urgency is not their priority. Give them time which could be a month to respond before you start bashing them. I'm not a Jayco employee, but have gone thru the process with the factory. It took about 4 weeks to approve my front cap repair and several other final warrantee items near the end of my 2 year coverage. They approved all my items and the repair was completed at a non seller dealer.

Never heard of a full body paint option.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip... It took about 4 weeks to approve my ... repair ..snip
x2

No warranty body work for mine, but Jayco's approval process for warranty repairs seems to take a while.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

I too have had issues with the selling dealer to take care of warranty repairs I have needed. I have spoken to Jayco and they told me to take it to another dealer. I have been told by some dealers that they only work on their own customer's rigs. After I explain what I have gone through with "my dealer" I have been able to have them work on my 5'er. I am pretty sure I will never go back to my dealer for anything. However, I will patronize the dealer that does good by me, and put out good vibes for them. So, if you have a problem with your dealer, talk to Jayco. Jayco really does want to have satisfied customers.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

I just don't understand why any dealer would turn down warranty work. It's the easiest money they make.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I just don't understand why any dealer would turn down warranty work. It's the easiest money they make.
It's not only the money, in many cases they are swamped taking care of their own customers.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

You shouldn't even have to deal with any dealer. As long as it's approved by Jayco, pick a paint shop that can or does handle big rigs. It sounds like that's what you prefer, so I'd stick with it and try to be somewhat patient. I have no patience, so it would be tough for me too. There's only 2 places in Louisiana that I'll even speak with, and one of those isn't a dealer. The rest got axed off my list over the years.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
Site Team

You may need to give the name of the shop to Jayco to approve them. When I had a window replaced I had to get Jayco to approve the place I wanted to do the work or they would not pay. Check with them first.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You shouldn't even have to deal with any dealer. As long as it's approved by Jayco, pick a paint shop that can or does handle big rigs. It sounds like that's what you prefer, so I'd stick with it and try to be somewhat patient. I have no patience, so it would be tough for me too. There's only 2 places in Louisiana that I'll even speak with, and one of those isn't a dealer. The rest got axed off my list over the years.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote