Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #21

Size?

We moved from a 25ft to 35ft fiver when we went full time. It was a LOT different towing the bigger trailer. Just have to swing a little wider, watch overheads closer. Also added overload springs to the truck.

Just take your time. If we are driving 'back' roads I will research where I am going to stop for fuel as that is the hard part with a bigger rig. It is surprising how many smaller towns will not have trailer friendly diesel pumps. On the interstate we stop at Flying J's or just pull through the truck pumps (if they aren't backed up). I will look at gas stations using Google Maps street view to see the layouts. We will mark stations we've stopped at for future reference.

Campgrounds. Yes, some can be tight. Get out and look if there is any doubt at all.

PS I also changed the Raniers to Goodyears as soon as the Goodyears came out. The 87mph speed rating did it for me.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
We have one and love it. I don't find it difficult to tow at all. We don't full time in ours but we use it as much as possible (at least once a month year round). My advice is make sure you have good tires. If yours comes with Rainier tires, replace them asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it already has the Goodyear tours on it.

Ashfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #23

We started full time in our 377RLBH at the end of April - we love the trailer and full timing. We purchased a new Ram 3500 crew cab - SRW - Diesel - 4x4 as our tow vehicle - Hope you enjoy the time in the RV.
Summitstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitstev View Post
We started full time in our 377RLBH at the end of April - we love the trailer and full timing. We purchased a new Ram 3500 crew cab - SRW - Diesel - 4x4 as our tow vehicle - Hope you enjoy the time in the RV.

Oh I would love to here more about your adventures! We just got a Ford F-350 crew cab SRW diesel 4x4 yesterday. Now we really got to get the deal on the 377 nailed down bc we have to be out of our house by August first. I really want to get a few test runs in before we are ft. The local dealer wants 64,900 for the 2017 1/2 year model but I got a quote from rvdirect for an 2018 built for 55,250. The problem is we don't have time for them to build it.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #25
CTP

Quote:
We're in a similar boat. Gonna start full timing in August, 2200sqft down to 400'ish in the NP. Downsize and minimize.
Next is to put an order in for a 3500 Laramie dually! I like the SRW but the dually gives me a warm and fuzzy with the 377 in tow.

Do you have kids and pets?

This is our first 5er and first time full timing, let the adventure begin!!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTP View Post
We're in a similar boat. Gonna start full timing in August, 2200sqft down to 400'ish in the NP. Downsize and minimize.
Next is to put an order in for a 3500 Laramie dually! I like the SRW but the dually gives me a warm and fuzzy with the 377 in tow.

Do you have kids and pets?

This is our first 5er and first time full timing, let the adventure begin!!

So we will go full time about the same time. It's our first 5er too! We have one kiddo 5 yrs old and a dog. How about you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #27
CTP

We have 3 kids, 7, 5, & 2,. 1 lab and an old kitty.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 AM   #28

CTP - just me and the misses - kids are older and on their own and no pets. We had lived in a 34 TT for about 7 months without issue. We were always discussing "when we retire...." but decided to jump in now.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #29
Site Team

DW and I went to a bunch of FULL-TIMING seminars and the one thing that they ALL emphasized was... "If EITHER one of you enjoy going home after being out for awhile, DON'T SELL YOUR HOUSE!!! They suggested closing it up, get an alarm system installed, leave and give Full Timing a try.

I enjoy returning to my "BASE of OPERATIONS" after being out for awhile. So there will be no full-timing for me, maybe DW will on a seasonal spot.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #30

I can agree with you Don 100%. We've full timed, and I regretted selling the house we had. Timing was just crappy. Sold house, bought fifth wheel, got out of it as I needed that space / break every now and then, oilfield crashed, now we're out of luck. No house, and no hopes of affording what we had. Tried full timing again, but after 6 months or so, came back to where we're at now, borrowing an old family owned house across from my shop. We're debating doing it again, but in a WAY bigger outfit than the present one, or the last one, but it will be for work purposes, not for the reason most people full time. Live and learn, and it cost us a small fortune.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #31

Quote:

Can you share some details or photos on how you set up the inside for full time living, such as storage etc..

MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #32

Have to be careful evaluating if you want to full time. Some can do with the smaller space, some cannot. I would not do it with kids, but, that's just me. When the kids were growing up the wife and I each needed a space we could get away. I had a garage, she had her 'sewing room'.

We waited until I retired, for a number of reasons. We went all in. Sold house, got rid of just about everything. Kept only what would fit in the trailer. Our hobbies were considered in the decision on the trailer, which is why we have a bunkhouse. The extra room is for our hobbies.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:39 AM   #33

MadJoker - happy to share some photos. I'll take some pics tonight and post.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:55 AM   #34

Quote:
MadJoker - happy to share some photos. I'll take some pics tonight and post.

Awesome, thanks we are trying to decide on going full time in our 377 and would love to get some ideas on how to organize or adjust things to make it better.

MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #35

I guess I could consider myself full-timing in my 377, I work out of town 100% of the year and bring the wife and 2 kids along, only go to my house for special occasions and Holidays. I'd have to say the hardest part about full timing with kids is privacy with thin walls and curious ears. If you still find your significant other attractive... you have to schedule arrangements. Other than that it's not hard at all in my opinion. The layout is perfect for full timing, crazy amount of storage, residential fridge and pantry is the same size as the one in my home. 8yr old daughter loves the loft, 2yr old loves his room. Have the Directv Genie and mini's for every TV (5) including the underbelly one, keeps everyone entertained when weather is bad. Clear a few hours out of your day and go scroll through the 377 mods we've all compiled and make your 377 perfect for you! Good luck!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
Clear a few hours out of your day and go scroll through the 377 mods we've all compiled and make your 377 perfect for you! Good luck!
Do you have all your mods on a single thread? Where might we find them?

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Do you have all your mods on a single thread? Where might we find them?
No, not my own thread.

I've done a bunch of same small mods that are on that thread. My biggest endeavor was the Winegard Trav'ler so I could have the Genie/Mini Genie's and HD picture with Directv.
Winegard Trav'ler
Mini Genie Mounts

I bought the Morryde Horizontal Sliding mount myself and put a 40"
TV in the basement for half the price Jayco wanted. TV Mount

Moved the TV from the Den into the Loft and put a 42" in the den.

Magnetic Knife Mount to free up counter space. Magnetic Knife Holder

Had a Maxxair Remote Fan Lid installed in the bathroom so we could open it when it rained without having to stand on a stool (I'm 5'8" and could hardly reach it, wife didn't stand a chance.) Fan with Remote to Mount to Wall

Combo Washer Dryer is a must. Splendide Combo

Along with that I had the "Heat on Demand" put in at the dealership because the one I picked didn't have it already, worth every penny.

Not really a mod but an absolute must for full timers with kids, unlimited internet. I have the "Pink" plan with https://unlimitedville.com/. It's a little pricey but with kids wanting to stream stuff nonstop and running a small business, most mobile plans only last 2 weeks before we're throttled to dial up speeds... Anyway if you decide to start on the yellow plan like I did it's more affordable and you can use my referral code "6MJZXPX" to get $20 off, plus it takes $20 off my next bill
Old 05-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbass1 View Post
No, not my own thread.

I've done a bunch of same small mods that are on that thread. My biggest endeavor was the Winegard Trav'ler so I could have the Genie/Mini Genie's and HD picture with Directv.

Winegard Trav'ler

Mini Genie Mounts

I bought the Morryde Horizontal Sliding mount myself and put a 40"

TV in the basement for half the price Jayco wanted. TV Mount

Moved the TV from the Den into the Loft and put a 42" in the den.

Magnetic Knife Mount to free up counter space. Magnetic Knife Holder

Had a Maxxair Remote Fan Lid installed in the bathroom so we could open it when it rained without having to stand on a stool (I'm 5'8" and could hardly reach it, wife didn't stand a chance.) Fan with Remote to Mount to Wall

Combo Washer Dryer is a must. Splendide Combo

Along with that I had the "Heat on Demand" put in at the dealership because the one I picked didn't have it already, worth every penny.

Not really a mod but an absolute must for full timers with kids, unlimited internet. I have the "Pink" plan with https://unlimitedville.com/. It's a little pricey but with kids wanting to stream stuff nonstop and running a small business, most mobile plans only last 2 weeks before we're throttled to dial up speeds... Anyway if you decide to start on the yellow plan like I did it's more affordable and you can use my referral code "6MJZXPX" to get $20 off, plus it takes $20 off my next bill

What is heat on demand? We just got the unlimited data plan from AT&T. How is this any different? Being full time like you we will be home schooling online and it will use a lot of data

Old 05-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #39

Probably trading truck in also along with 5th wheel.........

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #40

If we could have kept our house and also full timed we would have done so. Not financially viable in our situation. The house and expenses that go with it were limiting our ability to "enjoy" life. It came to the decision of stay where we were in a nice house that we were beholden to for the foreseeable future or get out and try something new. Will I miss my big garage and my shop? Oh yes I will, and many other things around here as well.
We were either going to stay here in our comfortable bubble and live out the rest of our days and wondering "what if" or we were going to jump and hope the water wasn't full of sharks. We may be crazy, and we may be making one of the craziest mistakes ever, but we won't know if we don't try it.
Working EMS I remember so many elderly patients I'd get to talk to and a very common theme was always given about regrets and life. A vast majority of nursing home and ER patients that gave me sage advice said "do it now, there may not be a tomorrow". Lots of "I wished we had traveled", or "Don't get comfortable because you'll be my age wondering where it went".
Sink or swim we are going for it. They make more houses, they make more things to buy again if I need them one day. What they don't make yet is more time, and that is something I'm tired of wasting. YMMV
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote