Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Full timing in the Northpoint 377rlbh

We are close to taking the plung on this rv. I love the layout and all the features however it is a huge rig! Any full timers out there in this big of a fifth wheel? Have any advice? Concerns? Do you mind pulling that big of a fifth wheel around the country?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ashfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

We don't full time (BTW, I'm jealous!), but I've towed from TX to FL and back. Just take it slow and easy...be sure to enjoy the scenery. It is big and long, so plan ahead for your stops for fuel. I also look up where we might stop for fuel on google maps ahead of time. I went from a TT (287BHBE) to the 377 and I like the maneuverability better with the 377.

Good luck and enjoy! Did I mention that I'm jealous of your adventure!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

We don't F/T either, but we picked the 377 because of the amazing SPACE that it has to live in! We rarely travel with just the two of us, and the option of putting extra "little ones" in the loft, or just using it to store some extra clothes, bedding, and or stuff that we buy along the way, along with the availability of anyone traveling with us to have their OWN bedroom in the lower bunkroom, was too good to pass on. We also looked at turning that lower bunkum into a bit of a traveling office, when the day comes that we DO go F/T....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
We don't full time (BTW, I'm jealous!), but I've towed from TX to FL and back. Just take it slow and easy...be sure to enjoy the scenery. It is big and long, so plan ahead for your stops for fuel. I also look up where we might stop for fuel on google maps ahead of time. I went from a TT (287BHBE) to the 377 and I like the maneuverability better with the 377.

Good luck and enjoy! Did I mention that I'm jealous of your adventure!

Great to know you like the maneuverability better than the tt. So I'm assuming we will use much more diesel fuel than with something a little small?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfamilyof3 View Post
Great to know you like the maneuverability better than the tt. So I'm assuming we will use much more diesel fuel than with something a little small?

I average about 10mpg with my RAM/Cummins combo, pulling the 377. I typically hold it to 65mph, but we tent to have lots of hills in Upstate NY.... Little "flat" towing until I get closer to the coast....

Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
We don't F/T either, but we picked the 377 because of the amazing SPACE that it has to live in! We rarely travel with just the two of us, and the option of putting extra "little ones" in the loft, or just using it to store some extra clothes, bedding, and or stuff that we buy along the way, along with the availability of anyone traveling with us to have their OWN bedroom in the lower bunkroom, was too good to pass on. We also looked at turning that lower bunkum into a bit of a traveling office, when the day comes that we DO go F/T....

That's the reason we chose it as well. I feel like it's perfect for being full time with homeschooling and kid space. I really love the layout but I cringe at the size. I just don't want to make a mistake as rvs aren't easy to sell.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #7

Don't have the NORTHPOINT, but our PINNACLE 38FLSA is just as big. We've taken it from OHIO to MN, to SD, to CO to FL and all points in between with no issues. I'm averaging 11 with our 2015 DURAMAX usually towing at 62-65.

Sounds like your choice in floorplans is ideal for what you want to do. The only drawback will be finding spots in some state and national parks.

Enjoy
Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

We have one and love it. I don't find it difficult to tow at all. We don't full time in ours but we use it as much as possible (at least once a month year round). My advice is make sure you have good tires. If yours comes with Rainier tires, replace them asap.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #9

Ours tows like a dream. We converted the bedroom to office/school and love the layout. A few issues have popped up as can be found here.
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
My advice is make sure you have good tires. If yours comes with Rainier tires, replace them asap.
Damn, Tom!!! Are we MARRIED!!!! You spend my money better than my DW does!!!!! LOL!!!! I'm gonna try to get a second season out of the Rainier's before I dump them..... I looked them over close this weekend, and no bulges.....

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
My advice is make sure you have good tires. If yours comes with Rainier tires, replace them asap.
I think everything is now coming with the new GOODYEARS.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #12

Instructor.... I too thought I will try to get another season on my Rainiers.
Then I thought, I only get to go out very little..and if I have a blow out and wreck some body panels. I will never see the rig again till the winter because the dealer would never get me an appointment in the near future.
I considered the new skins insurance.
If I was going to get them anyways at a later date, then there was no time like the present.
I'll end up trading it in soon enough, and I'll put the Rainiers back on.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #13

My advice to any person fixing to go full time: Get the rig, get the bugs worked out FIRST, THEN sell everything. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and learned a LOT.

Sold everything, got our brand new 40' 4-slide fifth wheel, hit the road, then low and behold, issues. This is after my insane PDI's I do. I can fix almost anything and I do 95% of the work on our rigs, but I cannot fix a rotted slide floor on site while living in it (NOBODY would have noticed how this happened), and I cannot work with replacing and fixing 3 cracked fiberglass front caps in a row. Each time, I had to borrow a camper from my brother in law, or stay somewhere else in order to let the rig go for a few days, maybe week for repair. When it's your HOME, it opens a whole new can of worms. In most cases, you can't just, take it to the dealer.

Just food for thought, and something to consider.

We're actually thinking of getting back into it again, with a rig 40-50' in length. Having learned a lot over 8 rigs, full timing twice and 14 years of fixing the screw ups that come off of the fast paced assembly lines, we're getting it figured out.

One other thought. Think of the most important things you have at home, the things you can't live without, and go from there. Mine was my recliner, and my man space. My man space was a pimped out trailer we brought with us for me to get away and piddle in.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The only drawback will be finding spots in some state and national parks.
I totally agree with Grumpy; that would be a deal breaker for me because that's primarily where we stay. BUT that's not where you guys will be staying so much depends on our wants and lifestyle.
I would suggest, if you haven't already, is to get on YouTube; there are TONS of families full timing and you can learn a lot from their videos. Here is a good place to start:

Less Junk < More Journey

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Damn, Tom!!! Are we MARRIED!!!! You spend my money better than my DW does!!!!! LOL!!!! I'm gonna try to get a second season out of the Rainier's before I dump them..... I looked them over close this weekend, and no bulges.....

LOL!! Even though they don't have any signs of bulging, that doesn't mean they're "good".

Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Instructor.... I too thought I will try to get another season on my Rainiers.

Then I thought, I only get to go out very little..and if I have a blow out and wreck some body panels. I will never see the rig again till the winter because the dealer would never get me an appointment in the near future.

I considered the new skins insurance.

If I was going to get them anyways at a later date, then there was no time like the present.

I'll end up trading it in soon enough, and I'll put the Rainiers back on.

What? You're trading in your trailer? Did I miss something?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I totally agree with Grumpy; that would be a deal breaker for me because that's primarily where we stay. BUT that's not where you guys will be staying so much depends on our wants and lifestyle.
I would suggest, if you haven't already, is to get on YouTube; there are TONS of families full timing and you can learn a lot from their videos. Here is a good place to start:

Less Junk < More Journey

I have been watching them and a few others. They started out big and decided to go small. But we may be stationary quite a bit which it why we would like more space. But if course we could be wrong [emoji15]

Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
What? You're trading in your trailer? Did I miss something?

He probably really is now after hitting his cab with he NP!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #19

Wow. I must have missed that.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Wow. I must have missed that.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...uot-46660.html