Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Furnace problem

We are using our furnace for the first time and it will only run for about a minute. I will move the selector from heat to off and then back to heat and the process just repeats itself, never bringing it up to the temp I set the thermostat at. It works fine in cool mode. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

So during that minute when it's running, it is blowing out hot air right? Maybe you have an issue in the propane supply side that's keeping the furnace from getting the fuel it needs. Something could be clogged up, blocked, partially closed. I know the furnace sucks a ton of propane so I'd troubleshoot that side of the system first. Brand new camper?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

So, to troubleshoot and make sure that your furnace has propane running, you can turn on your stove in the rig and let it flame up for a few seconds, then shut it off. This should help clear out any air pockets in the line. The blower will come on when you turn to heat, but if your furnace doesn't have propane to light up/burn, then you won't have heat.

I'm assuming, also, that you have adequate amount of propane in your tanks and the valves are fully opened? Once you have ensured you have gas and the furnace still doesn't light, then you can have your furnace looked at by the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
We are using our furnace for the first time and it will only run for about a minute. I will move the selector from heat to off and then back to heat and the process just repeats itself, never bringing it up to the temp I set the thermostat at. It works fine in cool mode. Any suggestions?
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

X2 on no propane getting to the burner is most likely.

The fan comes on first, then the burner is lit.

Modern units have a 'sail switch' than detects actual air flow. So, you'll want to check that there are no blocked air intakes or outlets.

If you can open things up and find the sail switch, pull out your DVM and check continuity. Move the sail manually as well as cycle power and see if the fan can move the sail.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

We used the stove last night with no issues. Both of the tanks are full. I switched the regulator from one tank to the other with no difference. I guess we will take it to a Jayco dealer to get it fixed since it's under full warranty.