Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbakerjr123b View Post
Great advice Rusty, makes complete sense. I have the Onan 4000 (gas) in my motor home. Our 355 doesn't arrive until March, so perhaps I should start saving for an LP Onan.
I am really good at spending other peoples money...

I hope you enjoy your new rig when it arrives, we love ours, it's a wonderful floorplan.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbakerjr123b View Post
I did order the Dry Campibg Package LP Gen Prep and extra LP capacity.
The Onan is probably tad bit pricey, no?
Having my Onan 5500 (gas) always ready to go at the touch of a button is worth it's weight in gold. Pricey yes, but worth every dime. I'm full time for 6.5 years now and my Onan has 380 hours on it. I keep stabilizer in the gas, use only non-ethanol gas (unless I have to use ethanol gas and then I always run it out as soon as possible), and run it for a minimum of 1 hour the first of every month under a load. It has never failed me.

I think with the procedure I am using makes the concern for gas issues with generators a non-issue. At least for the past 6.5 years it has been a non-issue. Gas is easily transported to my rig where propane is a tad harder and it has less BTU/gallon and therefore more will be needed for a given load/time. IMHO

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
For a dedicated genset with a prepped rig that is the only way I would go.

We camped next to a guy who wanted to run his champion set away from his camp so he moved it nearer to us.... I don't blame him from wanting to get away from it...... about the third night it developed a nasty habit of turning off at the oddest times...

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote