Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Question Generator Choices

Hello all!

We'll be ordering our 2011 365BHS in the next two weeks and had a question for anyone familiar with the generator compartment size on the 365BHS. I've been told it's roughly 20"h x 48"w x 24"deep and that the factory installed generator is an Onan 5500w.

I'm not a generator expert but was looking at the Hondas and they have a 6,500w that's very nice but I'm not sure if the measurements would fit.

What has everyone else used? (Generator wise) We'll be doing a fair amount of time boondocking and need as much gen power as we can get until we explore any solar options in the distant future.

I appreciate any advice in advance!
Penguelephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Penguelephants! Where will you do most of your boondocking? We have a lot of members here who frequent state parks etc. We also ordered our tt and got it just the way we wanted
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Hello!

We wont always know where we'll be boondocking and wont always be in a cool climate. I will be doing contract work while fulltiming and we wont be able to choose the climate we're sent to nor if we'll be at a dedicated site or boondocking. Also have a DW and 8 year old with me so we'll often be out for an unknown amount of time and would like to run at least the 15,000 btu AC if needed (will have the additional 13,5 as well) plus any amenities they need to make them comfortable while I'm at work. So our usage is really an unknown but I'm guessing it will be on the high side as we wont always have the luxury of being at a dedicated site with power and water. We'll also need to do the occasional laundry in the combo unit when possible.

I can tell there are a lot of variables with a generator. I can see the benefit of having a factory install, I was going to get it prepped for generator, just wasn't sure if the Onan is a solid choice as the factory install and if it will suit our needs or if I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #4

Welcome penguelephants.

Good luck with the gen issue.
Full-Timing sure sounds like fun !

Keep us informed, and post pics if ya got'm.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Genny

I would go with the onan if you are doing alot of boondocking. I have a honda 3000 and a yamaha 3000 both inverter genny's they both work really well for weekend use but they won't fit in the genny compartment to tall.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

Have you thought about running it on propane or is it going to be gas? Just one more monkey wrench for ya

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Have you thought about running it on propane or is it going to be gas? Just one more monkey wrench for ya
I have and it looks like it'd be better to run it off gas, easier to get in a pinch and I can store tons of it on the truck. I'd rather run out of gas than run out of propane. =)

Any cons to using gas as opposed to propane that anyone knows of?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

I don't know--

How hard is it to fill those generator's gas tanks when they are installed in those compartments? I'm sure they have that all worked out, I'm just curious.

Regards,
JP
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum. You might want to consider the noise level. If you consider the factory installed onan it will be covered by the Jayco 2 year warranty.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #10

have a 2010 designer with onan generator. The 5.5 onan makes 50 amps of power same as max input from shore power so there is never a concern about enough power. In 2010 gas was the only fuel available from jayco and I think it holds 14 gal. wich ran mine for more than 16 hours in aug. at a nascar race in temps over 90 degrees. It did not run out but gauge looked close to empty . filling with a 6 gal. container was easy enough without spilling and tank is seperated from gen compartment with metal wall.
Noise level is tollerable we watched TV outside near storage compartment with gen running without much trouble.
noise levels don't seem to change weather your just watching tv or running both generators , I have used portable generators on previous trailers and would not go back,I know you can buy a portable cheaper but the convience of pushing a button on the wall and having unlimited use of power in the trailer is worth it.
Of course when they discount the trailer their discounting the generator so your not paying 4500.00 or whatever the list is now for the generator option.
Gen ready option is over 800 also and you need that to put a portable in the compartment if will fit and not overheat with fresh aironly comming from the bottom.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #11

That is awesome feedback HaulnItAll. Thank you!

Is there a way to monitor the generator fuel level from inside the RV?

I'm hoping the unit runs cool, it sits underneath the master bedroom closet area and am hoping any heat wont transfer into the sleeping area.

And I found out that yes indeed the factory option is fuel not LP.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #12

no heat noticable on bedroom floor. cooling air from gen motor blows out the bottom or compartment actually dried out grass under the trailer after 3 days ,
noticed in previous post a mistake I meant that with both air conditioners running there was no noticable increase in noise from the generator.
noise inside trailer is just a mild hum . I think I could sleep with it running but have never really tried it.
I think if you use a generator much it's the only way to go . Not the cheapest but the most convienent.
you wouldn't delete the refrigerator for a cheap portable from wallmart or stick a window air conditioner in the side of the trailer even though savings might be 50% so why do that with the generator. Just my thought on the subject.
Haul n it all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #13

Problem is not everyone has a compartment for one.

Regards,
JP
Old 09-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #14

Most 5th wheels that I know of have them. Haven't seen one without one yet.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #15

IF you plan to boondock a lot either 1) get the Onan or 2) spend the same amount of $ on a good solar system. Personally I went with the solar.. No fuel to buy... I boondock for 5.5 months a year. Mid Oct- early April.. Plus the camping/boondocking I do during the summer. My system has already paid for itself in just over 2 years.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #16

I'd love to go solar, that's something we'll eventually do but not in the beginning. We've decided to get the Onan and with everything I've been told - we made a great decision.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguelephants View Post
Most 5th wheels that I know of have them. Haven't seen one without one yet.
Many new fivers have the compartment. Those of us with older fivers don't. But just because Jayco didn't make a compartment doesn't mean I can't add one or, in my case, suspend the generator from the frame with a fabricated bracket and compartment system. Since my new to me fiver came with the axles flipped, there is plenty of room to suspend a generator under the kitchen below the battery compartment.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #18

I mounted my Honda 3000 on the pin box, and built a alumunum cover for it. easy to load it up there while standing in the bed of the truck. easy to service while it is mounted too.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink is a pic of the Honda mounted but the cover off. Some vibration in the bedroom, but if you put in a tripod stabilizer under the pin to the ground 90 % of the noise/vibration is gone, transmitted to the ground.

Remote start is available for these Honda's too.
coalrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #19

What compartment are the factory units installed in? We're still fairly new to the whole fifth wheel thing (and loving it), and have never seen a factory installed unit.
Keep all the great info coming. These BB's are my best source of information.
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguelephants View Post
Hello!

We wont always know where we'll be boondocking and wont always be in a cool climate. I will be doing contract work while fulltiming and we wont be able to choose the climate we're sent to nor if we'll be at a dedicated site or boondocking. Also have a DW and 8 year old with me so we'll often be out for an unknown amount of time and would like to run at least the 15,000 btu AC if needed (will have the additional 13,5 as well) plus any amenities they need to make them comfortable while I'm at work. So our usage is really an unknown but I'm guessing it will be on the high side as we wont always have the luxury of being at a dedicated site with power and water. We'll also need to do the occasional laundry in the combo unit when possible.

I can tell there are a lot of variables with a generator. I can see the benefit of having a factory install, I was going to get it prepped for generator, just wasn't sure if the Onan is a solid choice as the factory install and if it will suit our needs or if I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I have a factory installed Onan 5500 in my 35 ft Designer with electric fire place and 50 amp service. Go with the factory installation and the onan. Save yourself a lot of headaches. That way all will be wired up right and you can start and monitor everything from inside the fiver. I have went both ways and will only go factory installed from now on. There are a lot of factors involved such as insurance and warranty. Almost forgot to mention SAFETY!
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote