Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Generator install question(s)

Attention all Onan owners - I'm looking for photos of factory installed generators. Specifically, the mounting, exhaust and fuel line connections. When I ordered my Eagle, I had the generator prep installed, but, I wanted a diesel unit and Jayco did not offer that option. Two years has nearly passed, and I can not find a suitable diesel (either too big, too costly, and/or too heavy). So, back to the Onan 5500 gas. Note: I found a great 6500 Generac, but, it requires special wiring/harness to communicate with the factory hardware (so says Generac???)

Thanks in advance...
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

My Jayco Designer has a factory installed Onan 5500 The gas tank is a 10 gallon Boat type tank that sets on a shelf to the right of the generator mounted in the front compartment of my 5th wheel. The gas line is a rubber hose with a quick connect that hooks to the tank just like they do on boats. That way you can remove the tank to take to a service station to get it filled with gas. The tank is held in place with a strap. The bottom of the compartment is open and the exhaust pipe is routed down with a bend in it to route it out to the side of the 5th wheel. it can be started from inside the 5th wheel. I don't know if pictures would help or not. Let me know if you still want pictures as my 5th wheel is a Designer 2007.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Mel, pictures would be great! I already have the tank and wiring installed (factory prepped); I'm hoping to do the install of the genny myself. I'm a visual kind of learner, so, any pictures you could send/post would be a huge help...

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pond Hunter View Post
Mel, pictures would be great! I already have the tank and wiring installed (factory prepped); I'm hoping to do the install of the genny myself. I'm a visual kind of learner, so, any pictures you could send/post would be a huge help...

Thanks again,

Steve
I will take some pictures tomorrow and upload them to Picasa and post or send you the link.
Mel
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
I will take some pictures tomorrow and upload them to Picasa and post or send you the link.
Mel
Excellent! Thanks again...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #6

Why not run generator on propane?

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-convert-...e-2633892.html
http://voices.yahoo.com/use-care-por...69.html?cat=15
turkey2731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #7

Turk, I have though about propane. We plan on boon docking extensively in the southwest. I have read that propane is not as readily available (like gas) out in the desert and such. Regardless, I'm still in need of some visual help before I make the final decision. Thanks for the links...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks again...
OK here is the link to the pictures. I hope they can do you some good. I tried to get as much detail underneath but the generator is in tight quarters. It sets on angle iron cross members and is open on the bottom. Note the exhaust routing as that is important because the bedroom is above. Fumes and Noise The Battery compartment is on the left hand side looking from the front and the Generator sits in the front center compartment with the electrical junction box mounted on the left of the generator on the rear wall of the battery compartment. The gas tank sets to the right of the generator on cross members and is open on the bottom with a heat shield over the exhaust pipe. The propane tanks are located on the right side in its own compartment. I hope this helps you.
Mel
Pictures are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1049911...LfCzNiC953FxwE or click here
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Turk, I have though about propane. We plan on boon docking extensively in the southwest. I have read that propane is not as readily available (like gas) out in the desert and such. Regardless, I'm still in need of some visual help before I make the final decision. Thanks for the links...
Shin you are correct. We winter in Arizona and dry camp some of the time. Much easier to carry that 10 gallon gas tank to the nearest service station and get gas. many times the lines are long for propane when it is available and who wants to wrestle 60 lbs weight 30 gal propane tanks around. in 50 years of rving I have used them all and for us, when we dry camp Gas generator works the best. Propane is cleaner but not cheaper in the desert when you can find it..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Shin you are correct. We winter in Arizona and dry camp some of the time. Much easier to carry that 10 gallon gas tank to the nearest service station and get gas. many times the lines are long for propane when it is available and who wants to wrestle 60 lbs weight 30 gal propane tanks around. in 50 years of rving I have used them all and for us, when we dry camp Gas generator works the best. Propane is cleaner but not cheaper in the desert when you can find it..
I'm gonna stick with gas (you are just one more person to confirm the stories I have read concerning the availability of propane down there)...

The pictures are perfect! Thanks a bunch! My generator prep / location is identical to yours. One last question: is the unit itself bolted to the angle iron or is it free-floating?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm gonna stick with gas (you are just one more person to confirm the stories I have read concerning the availability of propane down there)...

The pictures are perfect! Thanks a bunch! My generator prep / location is identical to yours. One last question: is the unit itself bolted to the angle iron or is it free-floating?
I just got home So I will check tomorrow, I think it is bolted to the angle iron, But not sure until I check for sure.
Mel
Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:

I could not see anything from the top. it appears that it is bolted from the bottom underneath. It is not floating. It is mounted solid to the angle iron cross members. At least that is what it looks like. you may be able to get a installation diagram from Jayco or there may be one in your handbook or manuals for your unit.. Hope this helps.. I can see the head of bolts on the bottom thru the angle iron in the angle iron and where the approx corners of the generator is..
Mel
Old 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #13

Thanks again for your time and help. I'm hoping to try this install next month; I'll keep you posted...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #14

Hope you can help. We have 08 Designer 35 equipted for Generator. Box wiring, fuel tank, the works. I am installing an Onan 4.0 BFA Nd it has a White and Black to produce the 120+ volts. The prewired box in my rig has a White, Red (more Pink) and a Black . Witch should I hook my Gen wires to. Sorry for any inconvienence and your reply in advance.
BBWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

I'm not too familiar with that set-up. Have you posted this question in its own thread?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #16

lonesome

Quote:
OK here is the link to the pictures. I hope they can do you some good. I tried to get as much detail underneath but the generator is in tight quarters. It sets on angle iron cross members and is open on the bottom. Note the exhaust routing as that is important because the bedroom is above. Fumes and Noise The Battery compartment is on the left hand side looking from the front and the Generator sits in the front center compartment with the electrical junction box mounted on the left of the generator on the rear wall of the battery compartment. The gas tank sets to the right of the generator on cross members and is open on the bottom with a heat shield over the exhaust pipe. The propane tanks are located on the right side in its own compartment. I hope this helps you.
Mel
Pictures are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1049911...LfCzNiC953FxwE or click here
I am planning to install Onan 5500 in my 09 designer which is generator prep'd but your photos would not open for me. Is it possible to have them resent in another format? Thanks for any help you can give.
lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #17

Do you still have pictures

Quote:

Thanks again,

Steve
I want to install a generator in my 2015 pinnacle. Can you send me pictures of your install
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote