Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Generator Prep

Has anyone purchased a Jayco and added the Generator kit and /or generator after they bought there trailer? I don't need a generator at this time but might down the road. I am wondering how hard it would be to add. Where does it connect to the 5th wheel. I saw one today with the shelving in the area but no setup. Can I buy a generator down the road to install my self AND the kit to hook it up?
Ideas please
Steve
priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
Has anyone purchased a Jayco and added the Generator kit and /or generator after they bought there trailer? I don't need a generator at this time but might down the road. I am wondering how hard it would be to add. Where does it connect to the 5th wheel. I saw one today with the shelving in the area but no setup. Can I buy a generator down the road to install my self AND the kit to hook it up?
Ideas please
Steve
I know it can be done (at least according to one local dealer) since the unit we were originally going to buy was not generator prepped, and we asked about it, and they were going to send it out to be done before we purchased. It turned out that we found another 375 at a different dealer that was already generator prepped from the factory and with other options we wanted, so we bought it instead. As far as exactly what doing an aftermarket generator prep entails, I have no idea, but just thought I'd let you know what we were told about it. They were going to charge us, if I remember correctly, $5500 for the prep and for the Onan propane generator itself. Of course, the prep would be different for gasoline.
2016 Ford F350 Platinum DRW with 5th wheel prep package, Diesel, 4 x 4
glitelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

While taking Delivery of our 2017 Eagle 293RKDS on the 26th, I saw them installing an Onan in another Eagle. I went over to investigate and found they added the generator prep. They use a local metal guy that builds the fire box for them. The rest the dealer does. They said the generator framing is in the trailer frame from the factory. So they just cut out the floor, add the box. Then they add a transfer switch, wiring and start stop panel. I'm sure it's costs much more than the factory option. We ordered our 293 with generator prep. Cost was 1,042.00. that included the firebox, wiring, transfer switch, start/stop switch and larger LP tanks. Also the LP supply hose to the generator. Making it plug and play but the tailpipe.

Our dealer is Rhone's Travel Trailers in Williamsport, PA area.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Hi all. We took delivery of a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS in March with the Gen Prep option, as well as had the dealer install the 5.5k Onan generator.

Gen prep includes the wiring, start stop switch, transfer switch, and an extra 30lb propane tank, which was the real seller for us. To have 90lbs of propane on board is awesome.

If ordered from the factory, Jayco leaves a harness that direct connects to the Onan in the generator compartment. Only "work" the installer had to do was remove the plywood floor, install the generator (heavy!), hookup electric and propane lines, and install the exhaust. From what I understand it was pretty easy. Dealer charged me $6000 for the generator, installed. When we ordered the camper in the fall after the Hershey RV show, the dealer didn't even know what the Gen Prep option entailed, but luckily Jayco had reps on site to explain it to the dealer.

It is important to note, the generator prep package does not include auto-start. I was disappointed to find out the generator will not auto start in the event of shore power loss. One of the campgrounds we frequent has notoriously unreliable power in the summer. We leave our dog in the RV while we are out from time to time and are trying to mitigate this risk. Plan on running the generator independent of the shore power to keep the AC cranking while we know we are going to be away.

Anyway, bottom line, if you think you want a generator someday, pay for gen prep. You get extra propane capacity, and all the "hard" parts done for you. Installing the generator itself looks to be a pretty simple process, and they can be found much cheaper than through a dealer. Look up nearby Cummings dealers. They can do it for significantly less.
Erren is offline   Reply With Quote