Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Genny prep removal

I bought a 2010 Designer which has the generator prep from the factory. I can't afford the appropriate genny and can us the $$ to install solar, while carrying a small generator.

The question is: Has anyone ever tried to remove the generator prep so as to make more room for a battery bank and other solar components? If so, please reply with and suggestions.

Gary

Darlene & Gary
Jayco Designer 35rlsa
F350 CC 6.4 SRW Cabelas, superglide
kayaks, bikes, fun
N8WOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

I have a 2011 Pinnacle which was ordered with gen prep. I removed the onboard gas tank, and put a plywood floor in the gen compartment. I use the space which contained the gas tank for carrying a third 30lb propane tank, held down with a ratchet strap. This space is open at the bottom. I installed a shelf in the compartment, and use the space for carrying a bbq, stove, and some tools.

I carry a 3000 watt Yamaha generator in the truck bed, and I installed the gas tank in the bed to carry a fuel supply for the Yamaha. I ran a power connection from the gen prep junction box in the front compartment, to the pin box area, so I can plug the generator into the fifthwheel when hooked up to the truck.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I see that the fuel tank should be easy to remove. I like your use of that space for more propane. I hear that can be hard to come by in the desert. I think I'll try that. I want to make room for 4 extra batteries, so I may try to remove the metal genny box itself. I'll post about how that goes. There's lots of room under there.

Safe and happy travels,

Darlene & Gary
Jayco Designer 35rlsa
F350 CC 6.4 SRW Cabelas, superglide
kayaks, bikes, fun
N8WOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #4

Why not leave the metal box in place? That's what I did. Make a rack on the floor of the compartment to hold your four batteries with hold down clamps.

To remove the gas tank, it must come out of the bottom. I had to lift the front of the fifthwheel using the jacks as high as it would go, then I had just enough clearance to remove the tank. There is a large plastic charcoal canister for the vent...I removed it and discarded it.

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote