Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

Gonna keep this short but would like your thoughts

On 2/18 we ordered a 5th wheel and put down 10%. We were told delivery would be 10 weeks on the outside. We ordered a 2017. Less that a week later the dealer is telling me it will be a May/June delivery and it could be an 18 model year. I ask the dealer, if it's an 18, and I don't like the 18 for whatever reason, am I financially obligated to take the unit or will my down payment be refunded. So far all I'm getting is double talk. I'll spare you the details but I still have no answer. What say you?
Doubleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

I think it all depends on the wording in your sales contract.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #3

They wouldnt know anything about the 2018 units yet. Also the order hasn't been placed, so I'd get my deposit back just on the fact the order isn't placed or can be place till later in the year.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
They wouldnt know anything about the 2018 units yet. Also the order hasn't been placed, so I'd get my deposit back just on the fact the order isn't placed or can be place till later in the year.

Earl
Earl, I'm not doubting you, but how do you know my order is not placed?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

If the order hasn't gone in I don' t think they would have estimated production date.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #6

Jayco hasn't released any 2018 info yet to dealers or the public. No pricing or what changes have been made. If the order is placed, you'd have a VIN number. Hard to put 10% down on a price that doesn't exist yet. My recommendation is you get your money back and wait and see what the 2018 changed and prices are.

Earl
Old 02-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Jayco hasn't released any 2018 info yet to dealers or the public. No pricing or what changes have been made. If the order is placed, you'd have a VIN number. Hard to put 10% down on a price that doesn't exist yet. My recommendation is you get your money back and wait and see what the 2018 changed and prices are.

Earl
Sorry Earl but not quite right.

The dealer submits/places orders to manufacturers for them to put in the production cycle....therefore the order in this case IS PLACED since the dealer submitted the order.

Once the manufacturer gets an order into the actual production cycle THEN a VIN# is assigned to the order.

As far as price...for orders submitted and in the production cycle there will NOT be a price increase to the customer if a model year change takes place.

Manufacturers are approaching that time where they will be going to the new model year....happens every year. Why suggest getting your money back? A 2018 will be worth more than a 2017 down the road when it's time to sell or trade.

To the OP...I would not lose any sleep over this and just look forward to start using it when it comes in.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post

The dealer submits/places orders to manufacturers for them to put in the production cycle....therefore the order in this case IS PLACED since the dealer submitted the order.

Once the manufacturer gets an order into the actual production cycle THEN a VIN# is assigned to the order.

As far as price...for orders submitted and in the production cycle there will NOT be a price increase to the customer if a model year change takes place.

Manufacturers are approaching that time where they will be going to the new model year....happens every year. Why suggest getting your money back? A 2018 will be worth more than a 2017 down the road when it's time to sell or trade.

To the OP...I would not lose any sleep over this and just look forward to start using it when it comes in.
Not at all how my order went down. Also the manufacturer can cancel said order anytime prior to the issuing of a VIN.
I'd be concerned about my deposit as well. What if they stop making the model he ordered?

Earl
Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

When we bought the PINNACLE we had 3 days to submit the order before we would have lost a $1,000 factory discount. So when it is submitted it is put into JAYCO's system.

And I know the dealer was not "blowing smoke" since we have dealt with them since 1977.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #10

I would call Jayco and ask for the phone number of the rep for your state. He will be able to tell you if your order is in the system, if it is he should have a build date, and will it be built as a 2017 or 2018 model. He will also know what changes are coming for the 2018 model if thats the case. I talked to my rep several times before signing the contract due to the dealer not having answers to much of anything and during the build process since the dealer is really out of the loop until the trailer arrives on their lot. This way if it will be a 2018 model and you don't like what you hear about changes you have every right to cancel and receive your deposit because it will not be the 2017 model you ordered.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
This way if it will be a 2018 model and you don't like what you hear about changes you have every right to cancel and receive your deposit because it will not be the 2017 model you ordered.
Unless the fine print says otherwise.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post

Exactly what Larry said
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #13

I placed my order on Saturday oct 8 2016, Monday morning the 10th Jayco had my order and the deposit check was cashed. I was just contacted today with a ship date of march 10th and a vin number was finally available. There was no option for a refund once we signed the order form. But, our dealer did know what time frames we were looking for and contacted us with information of backlogs and gave us the option to come in and order early for a delivery of march/April. So they should of never closed the deal with a 10 week delivery time. Our dealer was fantastic with all the info they provided us and were spot on with delivery times. 5 months exact.
Erichards2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #14

Place my order for a 2017 Eagle 293RKDS at 6PM on 01/26/17. Had the VIN early to mid February. Well that's when I found out the VIN had been issued. Schuduled to come off the line on March 10th. I was told I just made the deadline for getting a 2017 293. The dealer nor the rep had any idea what 2018's would have as far as changes. So it was either order a 2017 or wait and see what the 2018 changes would bring. We liked the 2017 too much to risk any changes so we hopped on the end of the run. From what I'm told I will get one of the last few 2017 293's built.

Earl
Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

You lucked out with time Earl! What dealership did everyone use? I ended up using Garick rv in NJ.
Erichards2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

The dealer I used is Rhone's Travel Trailers Inc. in Cogan Station, PA They are a Jayco only dealer.

Earl
Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #17

Odds are any changes from 2017 to 2018 are going to be pretty small.

That said my In-Laws got burned with this situation. They ordered a new 2015 Heartland Big Horn 5th wheel. They got their colors and everything picked out when they ordered. Then he ran out and ordered a new 2015 GMC 3500 truck to pull it. The truck comes in and then gets word that the camper is there. So they pull their previous Big Horn up for the trade and the sales guy casually mentioned, oh by the way you went up a year. It is a 2016 not a 2015. He was thinking that is fine. Then they pull up to it to discover that they changed exterior colors and he had intentionally picked the color of the truck because it matched the exterior graphics of the 2015. He was pissed but they still took the 5th wheel.

On a positive note you will possibly be getting a 2016 for the same price as a 2015. Come trade in time the '16 might net you a little more money than the '15. Just a positive note to consider.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #18

Hi Doubleheader, I don't know if t his helps but we just ordered our Pinnacle 36KPTS on 2/20/2017. Dealer called Jayco while we were there to get a delivery date. He was told our unit would arrive at the dealer somewhere between the last week of March to the first week of April. Were keeping our fingers crossed because when we talked to the dealer in January they told us delivery would be 3 to 4 months. That's a bit of a difference. Good luck.

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #19

I've purchased several new rvs and ordered our most recent. Never was asked for a down payment. I wonder why dealers would even want a down payment. They can sell it if you back out anyways. Most of the sales they do are on units that weren't custom ordered for people anyways.

I hope your situation turns out ok.
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #20

Thanks everyone for your replies. Larry, you asked why would we care if we received a 2018. well, chances are pretty good we wouldn't, but we feel we should have the option to either proceed with our purchase, proceed with changes, or cancel and receive a refund. We've been educating ourselves on campers for 3 1/2 years. I can give you a complete 20 point list of why we chose the 2017 293RKDS as our camper. That said, there are no guarantees on the 2018. In 2014 we really liked the Silverback rear kitchen model from Cedar Creek, the following model year we we didn't. In our opinion, the 2015 wasn't nearly the camper. Were the changes intended to achieve product differentiation between the Cedar Creek and Silverback? I have no idea, but companies are in business to make a profit, and while generally that means products are improved over time, there are no guarantees from model year to model year.

Again, thank you all.