Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2023, 06:15 PM   #21

With the goosebox lippert does approve its use. I have heard of no one having trailer issues with its use and generally people who use them are very satisfied. I can remember some people complained about having to mess with the air bag pressure on the first generation of it but I think the second gen ones are easier to use in regards to the air bag. I seem to recall A couple posts about some that used an extended ball just to get a little more space but that would be truck dependent

I have a bw turnover ball as I have to sometimes pull gooseneck trailers and when using the fifth wheel use their companion hitch. Which is awesome and have zero complaints with it except for the weight of getting it in and out. Getting to old to heft that thing around. So I have been contemplating the goosebox or the gen y same concept and can’t find or see any real difference between them except that one is supported by lippert and the other not. Have heard that is a licensing thing but don’t know for sure. However my warranty is long gone so either one should be fine as at this point I am my own warranty station
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpilot View Post
Here is something I see constantly misrepresented on this forum. First and foremost a RV is not subject to any Federal Motor Carrier regulations if it's used for private use, not for commerce. Second if it were. Semi trailers including any trailer which is pulled by a ball (bumper pull or gooseneck) and 5th wheel are NOT required to have safety chains (CFR Title 49 393.70) there is a possibility that some state has some odd, non conforming law about safety chains but it's not common.
I second this statement. FMCSR regulations relate to vehicles engaged in interstate commerce only. some states require safety chains on towed private trailers, and some require they be crossed, so I have read. Personally, I would not tow a trailer over 5k lbs without them. In the event of an accident, they will keep the trailer within the chain's length of where it is supposed to be except in an extreme circumstance that would probably not be survivable anyway. If they provide a better chance of keeping the 5er out of the cab or the TT from coming thru it sidways or from the top, I will take the 5 seconds to hook them up. I have a AUH WITH the optional safety chain setup, and I use them. That is all.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
I second this statement. FMCSR regulations relate to vehicles engaged in interstate commerce only. some states require safety chains on towed private trailers, and some require they be crossed, so I have read. Personally, I would not tow a trailer over 5k lbs without them. In the event of an accident, they will keep the trailer within the chain's length of where it is supposed to be except in an extreme circumstance that would probably not be survivable anyway. If they provide a better chance of keeping the 5er out of the cab or the TT from coming thru it sidways or from the top, I will take the 5 seconds to hook them up. I have a AUH WITH the optional safety chain setup, and I use them. That is all.

Same here, safety first
Old 03-23-2023, 10:25 AM   #24

THIS IS THE LAW IN ONTARIO
Fifth wheel trailers do not require safety chains or cables provided the fifth wheels have operating safety latches. Goose neck type trailers that utilize ball and socket type hitch connections, are required to have a safety chain.
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #25

Goosebox on large Jayco Eagle

Safety chains are certainly not a bad idea. I’ve got a standard FW hitch and nearly lost my trailer at highway speed. We’re it not for my tailgate folding into a V with the kingpin imbedded in it, it would’ve been a yard sale. I drug it for a few moments like that on the landing gear till I figured out what was going on and was able to slow and pull over. Never good to look in the mirror and see your trailer is there, but it’s further back and lower than it should be.

It was user error(me), but if it can happen with a standard fifth wheel hitch I’m sure it can happen with a ball attachment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	87069
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote