Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Gooseneck adapter for 5th wheel

I have a 2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 40ft 5th wheel. Its new to me and has a gooseneck adapter on it. I have towed it two time without any problems. I recently read in another forum that they can crack the frame and break off. I want to know your thoughts about this please. Especially if you have experience with this. GVWR is 15,500 lbs for my 5th wheel. thanks.
Buck Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

If it was new you would void the warranty on the Lippert frame.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Ditch the gooseneck adapter quick. Go ahead and put a MorRyde pin box or similar there and enjoy the ride. Too much stress on the already weak frame using the gooseneck adapters, though a lot of owners of them will argue, and I'll keep arguing back. Anybody that's towed with a gooseneck, then a fifth wheel MorRyde pin box, knows they are apples to oranges in difference.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

I highly recommend you look at the ANDERSON ULTIMATE FIFTH WHEEL CONNECTION. It is a great gooseneck alternative that will work with your gooseneck in truck bed.

I have a friend who has one and loves it. He was a former truck driver so he knows hitches. Also the reviews online are beyond good!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #5

Buy a Reese Goose Box. You have all the benefits of the Moryde pin box plus the superior advantage of towing with a gooseneck hitch & no fifth wheel hitch taking up space & rattling around when not towing.
Welder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Well Buck Hunter, after reading the above responses it would give you the wide difference of opinions.. However, it is clear that you need to get away from the gooseneck. I emailed Jayco sometime back and they would not recommend a brand or type of hitch. They did say that gooseneck hitch would void frame warranty. I am getting ready to change trucks and intend to go with the Andersen ultimate.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #7

X2 for the Andersen Ultimate solution. I have it and love it!
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Well Buck Hunter, after reading the above responses it would give you the wide difference of opinions.. However, it is clear that you need to get away from the gooseneck. I emailed Jayco sometime back and they would not recommend a brand or type of hitch. They did say that gooseneck hitch would void frame warranty. I am getting ready to change trucks and intend to go with the Andersen ultimate.
Obviously Ela1048, whomever responded to your email at Jayco doesn't know their product or the Lippert frame very well. The Reese GooseBox does not void your warranty, in fact, before I bought my used 2012 Pinnacle, I had Crestview RV in Buda, TX (they are Jayco's largest dealer), give me a quote on a new 36REQS with the Reese GooseBox. I had to go to the Service Manager to get the quote for the box plus installation, he went on about how they had training a few weeks earlier on the GooseBox and was going to start recommending it. I personally did a ton of research before deciding to go that route because my Chevy 3500 already had a good goose neck hitch, and I loved the idea of not having my bed full of hitch. Mark my word, if you ever go with the GooseBox, you will never mess with a fifth wheel hitch again.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the goose box used to be more of a ridged outfit, or has it always had the air bag and shocks? I don't remember seeing it with the airbag, but haven't looked at them in a long time. Says it's endorsed by Lippert as well. So I have to retract part of my previous statements. The gooseneck adapters I was referring to, is the ones that bolt to the existing fifth wheel pin box. Those will overstress things and are a bad idea in my opinion. The angle of the goose box combined with the bag and shocks looks like it'd be a pretty good sets up, and does look like it'd work similar to a MorRyde. I still always towed with the fifth wheel hitches, but didn't need the bed space then either. 18k Reese Elite stayed in the bed under a Retrax cover, never had to remove it. Good thing with the goose box, is most GN balls (at least all the ones I've had) are a 30k rating, so no worries with having enough capacity there.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

Since you already have the gn ball in the bed go With the Anderson hitch
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #11

I've got a Reese Goosebox for sale if anybody is interested. It's much cheaper than a new one. I am located in northeast Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0728.jpg   SAM_0729.jpg  
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote