Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Grey Water Tank(s)?

We are new to the camping world and this weekend was our first weekend out in our 355MBQS. Everything was great but I have a question about grey tank or tanks. we have two tanks and we have two grey tank valves but are the two tanks connected? This weekend after the first day and four people taking showers the gauge showed grey1 3/4 full and grey2 less than 1/4 full by the 5th shower grey 1 showed full.

will grey1 overflow into grey2? or are we going to have to learn to take much more efficient showers? We have two additional kids so occasionally there will be 6 people.

The owners manual does not say much at all about tanks or how they work.
MSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

The tanks are separate. If you are at a site with a sewer hookup, you can just leave the grey valves open to drain constantly, all sinks/showers have traps just like at home, so no smell will come back to you. If no hookup, you'll have to dump as frequently as you need to!
BTW - leave the black closed except for dumping when near full, you need the liquid to help flush out the solids. Most campers also let the grey tanks fill up near the end of their stay if hooked up, and then use that water as a "rinse" to help clean out your sewer hose, after dumping the black.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

Put your cap on the main sewer pipe and open both grey valves then the will fill up together. when your are ready to dump close both grey tank valves. When you take off the sewer pipe cap there will be some grey water come out ..... a half a gallon or so. The way to fix it is to buy another twist on sewer valve to add to your sewer pipe so that the trapped grey water does not come out.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
Put your cap on the main sewer pipe and open both grey valves then the will fill up together. when your are ready to dump close both grey tank valves. When you take off the sewer pipe cap there will be some grey water come out ..... a half a gallon or so. The way to fix it is to buy another twist on sewer valve to add to your sewer pipe so that the trapped grey water does not come out.

This will only work if both gray tanks dump from the same location. On my 324BHTS, they are completely separate, so this will not work.

A suggestion I have is to make sure everyone knows what a Navy shower is, and make sure they are doing this. The tanks won't fill up nearly as quickly.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #5

I have two separate gray tanks that dump from a single location. I would not want to fill both at the same time for the following reason.

One of your gray tanks will have kitchen sink water going into it. All dishwater has small particles of food/grease, etc. in it. Over time these food particles will build up in your gray tank and dry. If you are filling both tanks at the same time these particles will migrate to some degree to the other tank. When these particles start to decompose it will be worse that an aromatic black tank. I'm speaking from experience here.

I keep my black tank closed when on full hookups and only dump when full and also do the same thing with my kitchen gray tank. The gray tank that only has shower/bathroom sink/washer water in it I do leave open all the time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the information, what I have learned is that we used a lot more water taking showers than we thought, but I should have known that since I have 3 daughters. Both gray tanks dump from the same location so I plan to try the method of caping the main sewer dump pipe and opening both gray valves to tie them together. I may use that method occasionally when we have all 6 of our family camping. I also plan to upgrade our shower head so we have an on/off switch on the head to help us use less water.
MSCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Every camper needs one of these for the type scenario you describe:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS/...l_5d723e618f_e
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Every camper needs one of these for the type scenario you describe:
Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve: Automotive
This is what I have been using for years leaving both gray tank valves open. This also eliminates any extra waste material from the tail end of the pipe valves and end cap (as in "a half gallon or so" mentioned above).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #9

When we are hooked up to sewer, we leave our shower/bath sink valve open to drain as we use. Our kitchen drain is left closed to use after we dump our black tank, to help clean out the pipes. I also use a cleaner (for gray water) in our kitchen tank to help dissolve the particles of grease and food. When we dry camp we use water very sparingly. (Love the shut off on our shower head.) We have also filled all our tanks with clean water, drove to the next rv dump station and emptied our tanks. This does help keep the tanks and sensors clean.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote