Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Ground Fault Circuit 2000 Jayco 2930 Fifth Wheel

I have a Ground Fault Circuit problem in the bathroom on a 2000 Jayco 2930 Fifth Wheel. It had worked fine then all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. It does not have voltage coming to it. I've checked the other 110 volt receptacles throughout the camper for loose connections and even replaced one old one that wasn't make a good connection with a house type receptacle. Did not help.
Where does it get power from? I've checked all the breakers. They have 109 volts (wish it was at least 110) and good grounds. I'm plugged up at a campground. Any help would be appreciated.
mbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Did you check to see if any outdoor receptacles are tripped sometimes Jayco wires the outside recept. first then to the bathroom
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks. I checked the outside receptacle. No power going to it either.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

You state there is no power to the GFCI receptacle. Correct? The GFCI receptacle can get its power from any other receptacle physically located anywhere between the GFCI location and the converter breaker panel. Usually, not always, the GFCI will have a straight run to the breaker. At this point I would check the voltage coming from each breaker. Not finding a problem there I would look at receptacles in a possible path to the GFCI. These will NOT be near a water source such as a sink or outside outlets. Those will be downstream of the GFCI.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Sometimes a GFI outlet will fail. Does the reset button on the outlet stay in when depressed? As a next step I would probably replace the GFI outlet.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

The GFCI does not have voltage coming to it. I've checked the other 110 volt receptacles throughout the camper for loose connections and even replaced one old one that wasn't make a good connection with a house type receptacle. I've already checked all connections and voltage and grounds at circuit breakers. Everything is good there
Old 07-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

If the breaker is good and the output of the breaker is tight and there's no power at the input of the GFI, that only leaves one ugly option. The wire doesn't make from point A to point B.

You could start by ringing all three wires. Hook your meter up to the black wire at the breaker, run a long jumper from the other end of the suspect wire to the other lead on your meter and see what you've got. Do the same with the ground and white wire. Maybe all three aren't open and one of them will ring out. If you don't find a path through any of the three, then the wire got chopped in two somewhere.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:58 AM   #8

Yeah, the somewhere is the big question. I checked all three wires. No continuity on the black wire. I've taken all receptacles loose to check if it had come loose from them by some chance. everything was good. I did have to replace the main power cord to the camper a few days ago because the end that plugs in at the box on the campsite was bad and getting really hot. Since then this particular receptacle has not worked. It would seem odd that the black wire just broke at some unknown place in the wall. I'm not going to take the paneling off for just one receptacle. Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Without a doubt, that's a gnarly problem. I would have to say that if one out of three wires is open, something rubbing or flexing the romex had to open it. A squirrel chewing on the wire would have a tough time getting through the copper. The replacement of your main power plug was a coincidence unrelated to the open wire problem.

I had to replace my main power plug too because I was getting really hot and showed some melting around the black/hot lead. I dissected the potted plug and found a bad crimp on black.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

If there is no power supply to the GFI outlet the issue is the before it. You checked the breaker, which is good. So the issue is between the breaker and Gfi. You say you do not want to pull the fuse/converter panel and check the wire connections behind the panel. I would bet when you replaced the main power feed you wiggled the wire which was loose and now it's not making a connection.

There was a lot of talk on the forum a few years back about loose wires at the terminals . I had a loose wire connection, I tighten them all down, and a number of them were snug, but not tight.

Make sure to be disconnected from the shore power, when you pull the panel. It is a rats nest behind it.

I hate to say it, but you need to fix the issue, or disconnect the wire from the breaker. If you do have a bad wire, and you have power feed to the "short", you could have an electrical fire in the future.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

I did not say this... (You say you do not want to pull the fuse/converter panel and check the wire connections behind the panel.) I said I did not want to pull down the paneling from the walls to see where the wires go. As for this... (I would bet when you replaced the main power feed you wiggled the wire which was loose and now it's not making a connection.) I replaced main power feed... The three wire 30 amp line that plugs into the panel box at the campground. It went from the Breaker box on the campsite to a connector box underneath the kitchen sink. There was only the three wires from the new line that I connected to the three wires at the connector box. I made a good connection. There were no other wires around it to wiggle.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeards View Post
I did not say this... (You say you do not want to pull the fuse/converter panel and check the wire connections behind the panel.) I said I did not want to pull down the paneling from the walls to see where the wires go. As for this... (I would bet when you replaced the main power feed you wiggled the wire which was loose and now it's not making a connection.) I replaced main power feed... The three wire 30 amp line that plugs into the panel box at the campground. It went from the Breaker box on the campsite to a connector box underneath the kitchen sink. There was only the three wires from the new line that I connected to the three wires at the connector box. I made a good connection. There were no other wires around it to wiggle.
I originally understood it a little differently. I see you just replace the plug end on the shore power cord.

Still think you have a loose terminal behind converterbox. Not sure how you accrss is on your rig. On mine all I did was remove 4 screws, and carefully pulled it out. The wiring was a rats nest behind it. I just wiggled it out, used a flashlight, and tightened all the terminals. It was not to difficult, hardest part was the lack of light.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #13

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand what you mean about loose terminal behind converter box. To me the converter box is the device that converts power from 110 to 12 volts to run interior lights etc. My problem is not with the 12 volt system but with 110 volts going to all the receptacles and that just consists of breakers. On those breakers voltage is going in and voltage is coming out and going throughout the camper, except for the receptacle in the bathroom. There's not a bird nest of wires behind the breaker box is there? If you really think this is the cause I will take it out and look behind it. Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #14

Sometimes a junction box behind the converter. Or I suppose other places, not sure where that would be, but I have one behind the converter.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

Thanks. I will check it out next.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #16

I just call it the converter box, technically it contains the 12V DC fuses, 120V AC circuit breakers, the converter all in one box. The terminals is the location where each wire is connected to the box.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #17

Mine is not made that way. I have a box with circuit breakers. Then I have a converter box that is in another place and simply plugged into an outlet. I have 6 circuits in the breaker box. One is the Main, then AC, Water Heater, Kitchen Circuit, Microwave and General Circuit running all receptacles, and everything works except the bathroom ground fault (new problem) and the outside receptacles (which haven't worked in years).
Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #18

Finally found it. I requested a schematic from Jayco and they sent it. There were two problems. A receptacle to the right of the sink and counter looked good but had a loose connection, and the wires for the outside receptacle which comes from the bathroom were stuffed down in the wall... never hooked up.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeards View Post
Finally found it. I requested a schematic from Jayco and they sent it. There were two problems. A receptacle to the right of the sink and counter looked good but had a loose connection, and the wires for the outside receptacle which comes from the bathroom were stuffed down in the wall... never hooked up.
So the outside outlet never worked in 16 years?

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #20

The Camper is new to me. The previous owner had it for ten years and the outside receptacles never worked with them.