Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Has anybody here done this?

My brother just stunned me. He and his wife are on their first trip with a brand new setup. 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins & a 2015 Forest River Wildcat Maxx. it's 31 ft. His wife thinks the trailer is too small. So a little over 2 weeks into the trip, with a couple weeks still to go, and hundreds of miles from home, he up and trades his new trailer for a 2016 41+ ft. Keystone Montana. Said he had to make the wife happy.

Has anybody done something like this. Trade a brand new trailer for something else while on the 1st trip with it?

Tuckerdog1
Attached Thumbnails
09b42bfe-95e7-4c16-8e1b-6ede8a24fe6a.jpg   f6afdd48-80c3-46fd-bce8-c9640a0f0a80.jpg  
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #2

Some have more money than time? Seriously tho, if they realize the original wasn't right, make the best deal you can get on with a happy life.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

Not the first trip but I did trade after 2 months. Lost my behind on that one.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

No, we actually made it two years. That was after lasting 17 years with our first one. The dangers of impulse buying.

Jim
Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Well if he has the money and the unit didn't suit them...........why not? I wouldn't go in debt for it. We all made a mistake one time or another that the unit isn't what it thought it would be. Congratulation to your brother and his wife.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

When I sold cars I had two different unrelated buyers buy cars the first week of the month and traded them in the last week of the month and buy two more cars from me.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #7

Happy wife, happy life. Good for him, bet he likes the bigger unit and he has the tv to pull it
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

I know I'm probably in the minority, but, I can't see the attraction to these huge rigs? When were camping I spend 8 hours inside the camper, when I'm asleep, otherwise I'm outside enjoying nature. I think the TT we have is too big for most occasions, we got it because we work kamp and live in it for 6 months. Even then, I'm outside 99% of the hours I'm awake.

What is the draw for these huge RV's ? Unless you have a raft of kiddos, I just don't get it. I've seen more huge Provos' Class A's that the folks never leave their rig. Stay for a week and you may see them outside once or twice... what's the point? May as well put a picture of exotic places in your windows at home and be really comfortable. JMHO>

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

I agree with you wags, I'm inside only if I'm sleeping or its raining, and sometimes if it's a light rain I'll sit under the canopy and watch the rain. For some reasons it's relaxing to us.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority, but, I can't see the attraction to these huge rigs? When were camping I spend 8 hours inside the camper, when I'm asleep, otherwise I'm outside enjoying nature. I think the TT we have is too big for most occasions, we got it because we work kamp and live in it for 6 months. Even then, I'm outside 99% of the hours I'm awake.

What is the draw for these huge RV's ? Unless you have a raft of kiddos, I just don't get it. I've seen more huge Provos' Class A's that the folks never leave their rig. Stay for a week and you may see them outside once or twice... what's the point? May as well put a picture of exotic places in your windows at home and be really comfortable. JMHO>
Guess that is why they make so many styles of RV's. Everyone has a choice of what they want. My family uses our RV as our hotel on wheels and we like to have a nice room. Others boondock and want just an upgrade from a tent. Some people work out of their's and need office space. A friend of mine has a big toy hauler to take his 4 wheelers to the mountains. It's whatever the owner wants and I for one am glad we have so many options. So you asked why and those are just a few reasons. I am sure that there is others.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 AM   #11
Site Team

I like both. Being outdoors as much as possible.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

X2
Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
Guess that is why they make so many styles of RV's. Everyone has a choice of what they want. My family uses our RV as our hotel on wheels and we like to have a nice room. Others boondock and want just an upgrade from a tent. Some people work out of their's and need office space. A friend of mine has a big toy hauler to take his 4 wheelers to the mountains. It's whatever the owner wants and I for one am glad we have so many options. So you asked why and those are just a few reasons. I am sure that there is others.
Totally agree.
I'm 6'4 and I'm not spending money to be cramped in a small trailer. And I keep the rig packed and ready to roll without loading gear in the truck bed or inside the trailer.

Sometimes there are 6 people hanging out in the trailer.
When it rains all weekend where do you go?
The other people we go camping with have the same attitude about trailer size as Waggs...they have a tiny hybrid and the others have a tent. Well guess where everyone is most of the time? Under the BIG awning, cooking in the BIG trailer, keeping their food in the BIG fridge, having me bring thier supplies in my BIG storage. They were all pretty ticked off too when I traded my BIG bunkhouse for a rear living room because now they couldn't sleep in my BIG beds.
And they sure love getting the kids settled watching a movie in front of my BIG tv.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Totally agree.
I'm 6'4 and I'm not spending money to be cramped in a small trailer. And I keep the rig packed and ready to roll without loading gear in the truck bed or inside the trailer.

Sometimes there are 6 people hanging out in the trailer.
When is rains all weekend where do you go?
The other people we go camping with have the same attitude about trailer size as Waggs...they have a tiny hybrid and the others have a tent. Well guess where everyone is most of the time? Under the BIG awning, cooking in the BIG trailer, keeping their food in the BIG fridge, having me bring thier supplies in my BIG storage. They were all pretty ticked off too when I traded my BIG bunkhouse for a rear living room because now they couldn't sleep in my BIG beds.
And they sure love getting the kids settled watching a movie in front of my BIG tv.
X2!!

2005 Dutchman M-31K
2016 Jayco 355MBQS (delivered 4/21?)
2010 GMC 2500 HD 6.0L
ctabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #15

Happy wife, happy life.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #16

New RV for the wife =
New Tow Vehicle for the man.

Is there a Ram 4500? If not then Ford has one.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #17
Site Team

We camp with a group of 10-12 friends on a monthly basis. We hardly ever go in each others rigs but do have social hour every day under an awning.

As far as sleeping over? Whaaat! Our rig only sleeps 2.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

I hear that! Cocktails for 6, dinner for 4, sleeps 2...
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #19

Some great points presented here. I agree it is great to have so many great choices. So many styles of enjoying the great outdoors. No one rig fits all needs.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #20

I hope he took a big jar of Vaseline with him. I would've told my wife that she should've thought about getting bigger one when we got the last one. Never understand how some women get their way so much. I've seen quite a few wives take the family into near bankruptcy because they can't be happy with what they have and think they'll be happier with the next best thing.
I hope they're both really, really, happy, because they'll be paying on the big cost difference plus the higher price for the new Montana for the next 11-14 years.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote