Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
Installed after tax was just a bit over $1300, Tank, pump all hardware and fuel management system was $1026.94, Installation was $200 and the rest was for dear old Governor Moonbeam.

What I like most about it is that it is all "automagic" and all I have to do is fill em up and go.

Steve
Nice....

You say they installed at the factory in Chico? How long did the install take?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #22

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Quote:
For me it isn't the stopping for fuel often as much as it is just a pain to fuel so often. The other issue for us is that we go up in the Sierras a lot and when we go up there for a week we need the "travelin around" fuel and if you CAN find it is is way more expensive up there than down here in the real world.

We went up to Titan's plant in Chico a few weeks ago and had a 37 gallon in bed tank with the Trax fuel management system. It monitors the level in the main tank and at different levels it automatically pumps fuel from the aux tank into the main one. We now carry 66 gallons of fuel and have a range when towing of over 650 miles and when not towing somewhere over 1,000 miles (highway not towing).

Here are some pix of the tank and the management console in the cab:

This is what it looks like when I move the bed cover over it when towing, it fits under the Pace Edwards Bedlocker bed cover nicely.

This is the computer that controls the pump and monitors the fuel level in both the Titan tank and the main tank.

Steve
Can't believe what an idiot I am, in this post I said we went to "Titan's plant" and describe one of the photos as the "Titan tank". The post has been up to long and I can't edit it but I should have said Transfer Flow's plant and tank.

Sorry if this confused anyone.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #23

Larry,

I did a lot of reading before choosing the Transfer Flow tank but I see a lot of guys using the RDS tanks and seem quite happy with them. There is some sort of issue on the newer trucks' fuel gauges and I don't remember just what it was and I don't recall if it was Ford or GM but one or the other or maybe both had an issue of not reading right when filled from the transfer tank. Might be worth a search at RV.net and the Duramax forums.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Larry,

I did a lot of reading before choosing the Transfer Flow tank but I see a lot of guys using the RDS tanks and seem quite happy about them. There is some sort of issue on the newer trucks' fuel gauges and I don't remember just what it was and I don't recall if it was Ford or GM but one or the other or maybe both had an issue of not reading right when filled from the transfer tank. Might be worth a search at RV.net and the Duramax forums.

Steve
Yes Steve there is that issue with the RDS tanks where your truck fuel gauge goes to empty when transferring...have to stop turn off the truck restart and then the gauge resets.

Another thing the RDS in the link I posted is a gravity fed system which is probably is OK and the guy I know only transfers fuel when stopped.

Looking at the price difference to have the RDS shipped to Reno brings it up to over $1000 not including any tax then would have to install which heard is not that big of deal but for what the Trax II offers (a true fuel mtg. system) and the price you paid the extra seems to be really something to consider.

We would still go for the 50 gallon and maybe a trip to Chico is in the near future.

Oh...how long did the install take?

Thanks Steve.

Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #25

WE went up the evening prior and took the 5er up there and stayed right outside the gate on a little paved spur off the entrance road, this was suggested by them as an alternative to staying in an RV park a couple of miles away. It was convenient and free. Had pizza delivered for dinner and just kicked back and watched the tube.

The next morning we had the first appointment of the day and they came and got the truck at 7AM and had it back to us by 11AM, 4 hours total. Super nice folk and a pleasure to do business with.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #26

Thanks Steve.

View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #27

I'll jump in. I went with the RDS 63 gallon wedge tank. Bought it from amazon/northern tool along with the adapter kit. I think that going with Amazon I saved on the shipping costs....but it still was via Northern Tool.

Install - had to purchase a few nuts and bolts to secure the tank to the bed of the truck. Also bought a small circular drill bit to make room for the fuel line and extra fuel hose adapters. The ones that came with the kit were not very big and I wanted that extra coverage. Attaching the tank to the truck was easy. Used a little epoxy and two rubber grommets to make way for the fuel line from the tank going down to the filler line. Problem with the new Dodges is that the filler line is now almost all metal except for the last 3-4 inches going into the fuel tank. That was a problem. I'm not a mechanic and did not want to learn on the job and have an open fuel tank while I drove around looking for help. Took it to a shop and they did a nice job of mating the T-connecter into the fill line. Better than I could have ever done. That was $120. Total cost came to about $700 for everything.

Took our first trip with the tank 2 weeks ago and it worked flawlessly. Did not know what to expect with the fuel gauge and DTE readouts. The DTE stayed constant - only flux was when my fuel economy picked up, it jumped to about 415 miles to empty. Other than that, nothing different than before.

The transfer flow tanks are obviously very nice. Between a new truck, new camper and all the extras....I decided to try and save a little on this mod. The only hassle was the delay and finding someone that seemed competent. The Dodge dealer acted like I was trying to do a moon shot. "An aux fuel tank??? Really? We've never done that. Sounds cool." Uh, no thanks.

I can take a few pics if you are curious. The 63 gallon wedge tank looks even a little small in the back of the truck. I would consider going up to the 80 or 90 gallon if I had to do it again. Of course, when I jumped on the CAT scales last week.....we were right at the GVWR fully loaded for the truck with wife, kids, fuel and an ice chest.

You won't regret investing in that tank. It was well worth it.

Safe travels.
Broadreach_Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #28

I have 50 Gal transfer flow tank on my 2011 Dodge 3500 DRW pulling 39' Eagle 14k trip it was nice not to fill up all day and until evening and not worry where next station was. I could go about 800 miles before getting worried or 2 days travel and pick towns where fuel was a few cents less. I installed myself not hard to do if you are handy.
dheadingto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #29

I have been enjoying the Titan tank in my signature for the past 3-4 years. Nothing in the bed so I have room for ground mats, hoses, etc.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #30

Thanks guys, after reading this I'm starting to look into an aux tank! DW ain't gonna be happy....
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #31

There are, I think, a number of extra fuel tanks you can buy and put in your truck. I struggled with the small fuel tank in my old 2003 GMC CC Duramax/Allison with a short bed, but my 2012 GMC CC Duramax/Allison combo has the 36 gallon tank and I really like the extra 10 gallons. Took a trip to fish and sightsee a couple of weeks ago here in the mountains of Wyoming and, overall, up/down/ with the trailer and boat/with the boat/ towing nothing, we go 13 mpg overall with an Eagle SuperLite HT 26.5 pulling a Crestliner Superhawk 1900.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #32

Well after a lot of searching and reading comments here, thank you, and personally talking to people we had an American Tank 65 gallon installed in the bed on Thursday. Little more expensive than some but like what it does.

This is not a transfer flow tank or gravity fed. We have a switch in the cab to select main or aux. The engine will run on either and and the truck fuel gauge reads the level for whatever tank you are running on. You can also switch tanks on the go.

Why 65 gallons? Not for range in one day but for the overall trip. We get to choose the fuel stops better for the size of our rig, obviously less fuel stops and being able to plan ahead for better fuel prices.

No more having to worry about 'geez I need to stop pretty soon for fuel'....now we have more piece of mind in our travels.

View photos

Our Trip Journal